Random FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you coming at me for reading CNN? [emoji23]

I frequently read CNN, but also read Fox News to see what the conservatives think. I don't read MSNBC because I don't need a bias to develop my progressive views for me. Otherwise, I carefully review all Facebook news posts, which include garbage like Brietbart, perhaps solid stuff from NPR, sometimes WaPo or NYT.

CNN is just where I go to see what's up in the world. The headline stuff that everyone will have. Mostly because I'm a fan of the readability of their mobile version of their website.

Does CNN concern me? Mightily. I'm highly skeptical of media in general. It exists for various reasons. Brietbart isn't news, its propaganda written at a 5th grade level. It's someone complaining. The authors at Brietbart write the way we would here on a web forum - with consciousness. It's a political machine. Different from Fox, which is more of a pandering to the right. CNN doesn't necessarily pander to the left or right (small left bias but it's easy to be biased against president cheetoh, and they're gradually moving more left), but rather, CNN panders to fear and emotion. It's the ultimate click bait news site, largely filled with garbage articles. For the last five years I have been taking screenshots on my phone of their dumb titles. Example: "Plane Drops 600 feet in 60 Seconds." This particular title was put in place after MH370 and MH7 went down for their various reasons. CNN was tipped to an incident where two aircraft accidentally had been operating at the same altitude headed into each other. One plane took a calm and communicated evasive maneuver by descending 1000 ft to its proper operating altitude. It did so at a rate of 600 ft / minute, which is in the ballpark of a typical descent velocity. If you do the math, you roughly jog at 600 ft per minute.

Anyway, I'm rambling. CNN (and other news media) have a plethora of this garbage. I also take screenshots of all their typos and fuck-ups, because I think it's a shame that they're supposed to be world class but manage thousands of errors because they're too focused on rushing garbage out of the oven before it's done cooking.

So, the quality of their reporting, does it concern me? Yes, it has for years. More than anyone else? Hell no. Understand who the players are and read at your own risk. It doesn't matter where you get your news from - it matters how you choose to receive it.

For all its flaws, CNN remains the best of the three cable news networks. MSNBC is totally liberal and fox is totally conservative and both toxically so, and CNN tries to be honest and impartial. If they seem to be moving left, it's because there is more bullshit on the right than on the left right now

i'm more inclined to think that he's the one marrying up.

I think you're absolutely right about that. She's beautiful and just seems to be a well rounded very poised person. I just hope the scrutiny doesn't get to her. He's just pretty cute and charming, that's all. His so called title has nothing to do with that fact.

I can't wait to see the new Star Wars movie. That's my random thought.

Also there's a tweet I'd like to post but I don't know how to do it?

This is about an hour south of me. Just awful. Train cars dangling over I-5. (In rush hour, to add insult to serious injury.)

Live updates: Amtrak train derails in Washington - CNN

I just took this route to Portland last month, was thinking how nice it was to take the train down there. Apparently this was the first day of a new route, where for this section of the route, it went inland and using tracks used by the commuter train, as opposed to the slower (and very pretty) usual route closer to Puget Sound.

Last edited:
more positives, excerpted from a larger column:

Part of this, I’d guess, is because so many other indicators in the world are remarkably good right now. Economic growth is now ubiquitous in the developed world (including even Japan) for the first time in quite a while. In America, we are in a record eighth year of economic growth, bringing peak employment and finally a bump in earnings. Median household income is now the highest in history. The Dow is at 25,000. Medicine has effectively abolished most of the diseases which used to kill us in mass numbers. Illegal border crossings to the U.S. have fallen to record lows. More Americans have health insurance than at any point in history, and Trump has failed to kill Obamacare. Crime rates are at historic lows and keep declining in ways that simply baffle criminologists. Solar energy is finally competitive with fossil fuels. Global conflict continues its long centuries-old decline. ISIS has been destroyed in its own heartland. Anyone with a phone has access to more learning and knowledge than at any point in human history. More people live in democracies today than a dozen years ago. When natural disasters happen, they kill fewer people in a far more populous world. The last decade has seen the biggest decline in global poverty ever. And on and on. All this renders the collapse of the American presidency more tolerable.

And Trump’s very incompetence is also a calming factor. There is no wall, and almost certainly won’t be. There has been no deportation force and, given good news on border crossings, it appears we don’t need one. The president has not defied a court order, and the Mueller investigation into potential treason during the campaign remains active. We have seen no brutal “law and order” police crackdown — in fact, we have proof that we don’t need stop-and-frisk at all, and the number of unarmed African-Americans shot dead by the cops has been halved in two years. The Iran nuclear deal still stands; ditto NAFTA; so too the Paris climate accord — despite the U.S.’s symbolic withdrawal. The shift to renewable energy has not paused. We have not seen new tariffs on trade with China, beyond the limits of previous presidents. Obamacare is more popular than ever. Democrats lead Republicans in the generic congressional polls by double digits. Established media — like the New York Times and the Washington Post — are seeing huge gains in digital subscriptions. A Democrat won in Alabama. Terror attacks have not prompted massive overreaction, as many of us feared. It seems at times as if Trump is both ubiquitous and yet Trumpism is all but absent. If you squinted and judged only the substantive change since last January, Trump’s tangible record is indistinguishable from any other mainstream Republican’s.

Take three stories of the past week. Despite the commander-in-chief’s incendiary tweet, transgender troops are currently being openly enrolled in the military for the first time. Bluff called. The much-touted voter fraud commission has been shut down by the president himself. Reality finally defeated paranoia. California now has legal weed, and Jeff Sessions’s response has been to defer enforcement of federal law to U.S. Attorneys in the legal pot states. On paper, this looks ominous. But in reality, I cannot imagine U.S. Attorneys in California actually deciding to go to war with a multimillion-dollar industry backed by a clear majority of voters, and serious pushback is already coming from Republicans in legal weed states. Another de facto retreat. In an era in which fentanyl is killing tens of thousands, a fixation on cannabis seems close to insane, when it isn’t completely irrelevant.

Trump’s First Year Was a Disaster. Here’s Why I Have Hope.

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever done the Ancestry DNA test? I sent mine in a few days ago and I can't wait for the results.

I remember reading a few months back that some of the racists in the news (Charlottesville and elsewhere) were freaking out when they did that test and found out they had African American ancestry. They said it was rigged.

Has anyone here ever done the Ancestry DNA test? I sent mine in a few days ago and I can't wait for the results.

I remember reading a few months back that some of the racists in the news (Charlottesville and elsewhere) were freaking out when they did that test and found out they had African American ancestry. They said it was rigged.

I’m adopted, so I did mine for fun a few years ago. I was actually kinda surprised by my results.

I actually got a 23 and Me kit for Christmas, so it will be interesting how close they are...

I’m adopted, so I did mine for fun a few years ago. I was actually kinda surprised by my results.

I actually got a 23 and Me kit for Christmas, so it will be interesting how close they are...
I remembered that you are. It probably is a good idea to do more than one.

I would love to find out I had some African American ancestry. I know I'm Irish and some Scottish I believe, maybe some British. I know much more about my mother's side than my father's. The Irish side is the best side anyway.☺

I remembered that you are. It probably is a good idea to do more than one.

I would love to find out I had some African American ancestry. I know I'm Irish and some Scottish I believe, maybe some British. I know much more about my mother's side than my father's. The Irish side is the best side anyway.☺

I was expecting more Irish or Scottish, but it turns out only 11% Irish. I also had 3% Indian

I got an Ancestry kit for Christmas. Excited to see if there are any surprises, or if I am indeed just a plain old northern European mutt. :)

i did Ancestry as well.

results were utterly unsurprising. but my families immigrated in the 20th century, so the stories are relatively fresh.

Replace him with a white kid? I don't know. It's only racist if you insist. Obviously, incredibly poor choice and deserves criticism. But I don't think the actual shirt is racist. Just undertones from the modeling choice.

That Larry Nassar is the most vile pos. The judge just read a letter he wrote in which he said "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

I love that judge. Thank someone for judges, and people, like her. He needs to go away forever and USA Gymnastics needs to answer for their negligence. And worse.

Fuck that piece of human garbage. I hope he enjoys rotting in jail.

Everyone at the gyms, at USA Gymnastics, at the school who knew, or even heard rumors and did nothing needs to be fired and/or prosecuted. Fuck all of them.

Back
Top Bottom