Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Rand Paul will and should run in 2016

like him or not, he will have more influence than his father

second, right now he is doing an honest, legit filibuster

Rand Paul Launches Filibuster – The Talking Kind – Against John Brennan - ABC News

Quote:

“I will speak until I can no longer speak,” Paul said. “I will speak as long as it takes, until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court.”
Paul began his filibuster at 11:47 a.m. Eastern time. Around the one-hour mark, he acknowledged “I can’t talk forever” and said his throat was getting dry.

“When I asked the president, can you kill an American on American soil, it should have been an easy answer. It’s an easy question. it should have been a resounding and unequivocal, “no.” The president’s response? He hasn’t killed anyone yet. We’re supposed to be comforted by that. The president says, I haven’t killed anyone yet. He goes on to say, and I have no intention of killing Americans. But i might. Is that enough? Are we satisfied by that? Are we so complacent with our rights that we would allow a president to say he might kill Americans? But he will judge the circumstances, he will be the sole arbiter, he will be the sole decider, he will be the executioner in chief if he sees fit. Now, some would say he would never do this. Many people give the president the — you know, they give him consideration, They say he’s a good man. I’m not arguing he’s not. what I’m arguing is that the law is there and set in place for the day when angels don’t rule government.

Paul noted that he has voted for Obama’s previous Cabinet nominees, including Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, and suggested his cause was not partisan.

“I have allowed the president to pick his political appointees,” Paul said. “But I will not sit quietly and let him shred the Constitution. I cannot sit at my desk quietly and let the president say that he will kill Americans on American soil who are not actively attacking a country.

“I would be here if it were a Republican president doing this. Really the great irony of this is that President Obama’s opinion on this is an extension of George Bush’s opinion.”

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

eight hours now, he is talking against endless war, his Libertarian views do resonate with many, he is making a lot of sense.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:54 PM
He makes no sense.

He keeps throwing out terms like "unconstitutional" as if we don't have "a living & breathing constitution" that can be reinterpreted to fit the needs of whomever happens to occupy the White House, Congress or the Supreme Court.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

the filibuster has got to be one of the most frustratingly useless features our country offers. sorry, no.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

you do realize that this filibuster is not the type of filibuster that is over-used and abused.

Filibuster Reform Makes A Comeback | TPMDC

Quote:
Merkley agreed, “I certainly share Senator Durbin’s statement that if this is going to be the Republican behavior, we’re going to have to review the agreement that was struck so recently,” he said. “Unless there is a dramatic turnaround, folks will soon be concluding that there’s no intention to honor the spirit of the agreement. … We as senators have a responsibility to the American people to have this chamber function.”

The Oregon Democrat spoke to TPM while Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) was mounting an hours-long talking filibuster on the nomination of John Brennan for CIA director. He said that’s how all filibusters should work.

“Rand Paul is saying ‘I have the courage of my conviction, I’m taking a stand and I want the people of America to know it.’ And that’s the way it absolutely should be if you’re working to block a nominee. You should be taking that responsibility,” Merkely said. “And I applaud him for doing that.”
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

This filibuster last only as long as this man is standing and talking on the Senate floor.
He has been doing that for 10 hours straight.
I do not believe he has left to eat or use the bathroom.
He is doing a better job than Jimmy Stewart did in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I do not support many of his positions. But, my respect for him has gone way up.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Kos weighs in,
not sure how twitter is breaking
perhaps John Stewart will give this a good spin

Daily Kos: So it turns out a talking filibuster is actually pretty darn good idea after all
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 PM
If you are going to do a filibuster, I think it damned well better be a talking one.
At least with this guy it's coming out of his hide.
Also I would think people who are want other parties at the federal level would also want this. Let's face it, a third (or fourth or more) party senator or representative isn't going to have much clout if his/her positions are truly different than those of the two current parties, so a filibuster might be one of the few ways to actually get real coverage of those differing positions. So yeah, an honest to goodness talking filibuster is clearly obstructionist, but it's also a way of getting minority views heard.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

These types of filibusters, and I can't remember seeing one before, have an ending.
Also the politician has to have the courage of his convictions. The written ones are crap.

I am tired of the tea-party blowhards, Cruz-TX and Lee-UT. But at least one Dem did lend some support.

Also, this cause about drone use, has always left me uncomfortable. More light on it is good.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Ted Cruz - TX

is reading Shakespeare - Henry V speech

this guy is the worst

Now he is doing George C Scott - General Patton
and now praising Code Pink at the Holder hearings, today.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

trending on twitter

Quote:
Zaid Jilani ‏@ZaidJilani
I'm ashamed of US progressive movement and Democratic Senators for letting the far-right be the leaders on #drones. #StandWithRand

RETWEETS
FAVORITES
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 PM
I do feel that those of us who have been generally supportive of Obama have been soft on his handling of aspects of the "war on terror"

I'm inclined to agree with Rand on this one.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

If I were in the Senate right now, I have no idea if id vote for cloture or now. On one hand, I pretty much agree with Rand Paul. On the other hand, I hate the filibuster, and using it against presidential nominations sets a rather scary precedent for even more gridlock.

I do respect Rand Paul for making his filibuster an actual filibuster instead of just the threat of one. Or maybe his threat was just not taken seriously.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's terrifying that someone has to point out that we shouldn't be killed with drones in our own country. What is going on?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I would not care if they all had to talk 24 hours around the clock. I know they could do it tag team style.
But it would have a cost and not be used as much as the written one, or threat of one.