Rand Paul will and should run in 2016 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
It's terrifying that someone has to point out that we shouldn't be killed with drones in our own country. What is going on?
that's it, but once you start discussing it, it gets real messy

can you drone Americans outside of the country? If yes, and we have droned
them in the middle east and africa, can we drone them in S America? Mexico, Canada?

Code Pink says 3 of the 4 Americans droned have been mistakes, one was a 16 year old boy.

R. Maddow went down a bit tonight, she made a partisan attack on Paul.
Like his father Ron Paul, he is Libertarian and did not support the Iraq War or funding for it. They have been critics of the War on Terror. And Rand Paul broke with tea-party types and voted for Chuck Hagel to be Defense Secretary

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

he is done

I think he went about 13 hours, he had to use the bathroom

I am sure he made a few fans and gained a lot of respect.

Again, I think all filibusters should be done in person on the Senate floor.

Also, I am not a fan of one Senator putting a hold on an appointment. At the very least they should have to go to the floor and announce it, and it should expire in a certain time period.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Filibuster or not, I'm glad that someone in Washington spoke up about the drones. They are scary and do sound like a tyrannical government is doing this.

What could happen is a home grown terrorist attack or something could respond to these tactics. The Oklahoma City bombings were the result of the Waco incident. Why wouldn't some angry radicals want to retaliate against the drones?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 PM
How are drones any different from a fighter plane launching an air to ground missile? There's literally no difference. You'd think there are robots flying around by the paranoid reactions to them
Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Dear Senator Paul:

It has come to my attention that you have now asked an additional question: “Does the President have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil?” The answer to that question is no.

Sincerely,
Eric H. Holder, Jr.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

sometimes it is better not to address every issue

Quote:
Earlier John McCain said, as Business Insider reported:

"Calm down, Senator," McCain said, in an admonition to Paul. "The U.S. government cannot randomly target U.S. citizens."

McCain argued that Paul's warning that the Obama could target would U.S. citizens in "cafes" on American soil, and his related "Jane Fonda" analogy, bring the debate into the "realm of the ridiculous."

"If Mr. Paul wants to be taken seriously he needs to do more than pull political stunts that fire up impressionable libertarian kids," he said. "I don't think what happened yesterday is helpful to the American people."

The Republican Party is at war, folks.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I respect that he initiated a real filibuster and stood up there. And it's an issue that is worthy of both attention and discussion. Somebody commented the other day that Rand Paul sounded like MoveOn circa 2003, which is an interesting observation.

But let's not get too carried away with this guy, who has shown himself to be astoundingly stupid on many other issues. Did we forget his calls to end the Department of Education because, as he put it "I don’t like the idea of somebody in Washington deciding that Susie has two mommies is an appropriate family situation and should be taught to my kindergartner at school"? Is that now a libertarian view?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Sens. McCain and Graham lambast 'ridiculous' drone filibuster by Paul - The Hill's DEFCON Hill

Quote:
Two senior GOP Senate defense hawks say Sen. Rand Paul "cheapened" the debate over drone policy by making "ridiculous" arguments in a talking filibuster.

Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) sternly criticized the statements that Paul made on Wednesday in his attention-grabbing filibuster of CIA nominee John Brennan, which lasted for more than 12 hours.

"All I can say is I don’t think that what happened yesterday was helpful for the American people," McCain said.
I understand Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham are now "an item" around D.C.; dining out together, appearing on television together, going to the Senate Men's room together, you get the picture, but this conservative is sick of 'em.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 AM
I think this was more about Rand Paul's brand name than any sort of outrage. He's going to make a run in 2016 and this is his start
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I respect that he initiated a real filibuster and stood up there. And it's an issue that is worthy of both attention and discussion. Somebody commented the other day that Rand Paul sounded like MoveOn circa 2003, which is an interesting observation.

But let's not get too carried away with this guy, who has shown himself to be astoundingly stupid on many other issues. Did we forget his calls to end the Department of Education because, as he put it "I don’t like the idea of somebody in Washington deciding that Susie has two mommies is an appropriate family situation and should be taught to my kindergartner at school"? Is that now a libertarian view?

I don't know the source of your quote by Ran Paul, but as a Libertarian and a public school teacher I agree.

The Department of Education is worthless.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

again, I will say I expect Rand Paul to have more impact than his father, certainly one to watch

Quote:
Paul opened his speech with what he admitted was “spanglish,” proclaimed his love for Latin culture and the works of Pablo Neruda and Gabriel Garcia Marquez and discussed his youth in Texas at length.

“I wondered what circumstances must have been like in his country to choose an admittedly tough life in the shadows,” Paul said after recounting working alongside an undocumented immigrant who was making only $3 a day. “Growing up in Texas, I never met a Latino who wasn’t working.”

Read more: Rand Paul to ‘find a place’ for illegal immigrants - Kevin Robillard - POLITICO.com
Rand Paul Calls for Immigration Reform - US News and World Report
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

The GOP civil war is a thing to behold.