Rally to Restore Sanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not read everything on this

but if Stewart does have this rally with Colbert making fun of a lot of just plain folk,
whose most pressing issue is deficit spending and the growing national debt

there will be a much better turn out at the polls against the Democrats

Robert Scheer and Ariana Huffington are not mocking the tea party movement

this a little bit similar to people mocking Obama, early on,
not taking him seriously and assuming there was no way he could beat a well-established Hillary Clinton
It is indeed bad timing for the Democrats considering how dire the midterm elections already look.

The Tea Party is comprised of a lot of people with their fingers in their ears while sanity floats by on the wind. The do not understand satire.

The only thing this counterpunch rally is is a self-fellating couple of hours for the left.

You're right, the extremists of the Tea Party crowd don't understand satire, but I don't think this rally is necessarily targeted at them to begin with (after all, keep in mind that they did point out when leading up to the announcment that politicians and media on the left have been just as guilty of crazy ranting and foaming and whatnot, too, they're not targeting one specific side or another here). It sounds like all they're doing is just hoping to gather some people who want a break from all the fearmongering and scare tactics and extremism on all sides for a few hours of fun and entertainment. If they're going to make fun of anybody, it'll likely be the media and the politicians, who are their usual targets anyway, and not so much your average, everyday citizen. I'm assuming they would agree that attacking the citizens themselves could end up hurting the situation more than help it.

Guess we'll see when the time comes :shrug:.

Angela

I'm kind of disappointed Stewart's people listened to the internet and went through with this. Glen Beck knows his public persona is whacky and that's he's trolling the left...he's just in it for the cash.

what, and this entire thing isn't really just some big public commercial for comedy central?

liked lewis black's set at the rally? check out his special on comedy central, this wednesday, right before an all new south park!

it's always about the cash.

Oprah sprinkled Mr. Stewart with her magic dust today on her show so you can add a million soccer moms to the 93,000 facebook college kids.

Especially after she appears on the Daily Show sometime soon.

"I don't want a tomato picked by a Mexican. I want it picked by an American, sliced by a Guatemalan . . . and served by a Venezuelan in a spa where a Chilean gives me a Brazilian."

:hyper:

Did you see where Sarkozy just evicted an entire ethnic group from France? This simply could not happen in the US, even under a right-wing Tea Party-esque President. Europe is crazier (and definitely more racist) than the US.

Agreed. Sarkozy is an asshole, and Carla doesn´t help much. Also the EU is really racist. Just google Frontex.

RICHMOND, Va. — "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart has won some high-level backing for his "Rally to Restore Sanity" next month in Washington: President Barack Obama.

Stewart says the Oct. 30 rally is for people who think the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard.

Obama raised the subject of the rally during a round-table Wednesday with residents of Richmond, Va.

Obama said he was "amused" by Stewart's rally and that it's for people who expect some common sense and courtesy in their daily interactions.

The president said that having those voices lifted up is, as he put it, "really important."

Oooh, those buses leave New York! Maybe I'll go! :hmm:

Happy to hear that news-I'm definitely going to be watching :yes:. Look forward to the signs people make and the costumes that people will be sporting as well!

I really hope positive things result from this idea, that the intent extends well beyond the rallies themselves. But even if it turns out to be nothing more than a few hours of quiet, calm fun in a year full of chaos and tragedy, that in and of itself is worth cheering, too.

Angela

Seems like this should be in ZS. But just saw the "train wars" with Cat Stevens 'Peace Train' being interrupted by Colbert and Ozzy doing 'Crazy Train' and back and forth. Then they both leave and the Ojays come out and do 'Love Train' . :lol:

Seems like this should be in ZS. But just saw the "train wars" with Cat Stevens 'Peace Train' being interrupted by Colbert and Ozzy doing 'Crazy Train' and back and forth. Then they both leave and the Ojays come out and do 'Love Train' . :lol:

:lmao: :applaud: That. Was. Awesome. And hilarious. Brilliant idea (also, speaking of music, I officially have to hear more from the Roots and John Legend. Their opening warm-up performances were incredible).

I'm really having fun watching this so far :D.

Angela

I saw about the last 20 minutes of it.

I think many on the West Coast may have missed it.

From the small part I saw, Stewart's closing remarks were more on the reasonable side. It could have been worse.

I'm on C-Span now, it will be interesting to see how the callers evaluate it?

Time Warner Cable had the west coast scheduled airing at 12-3. Unfortunately, they didn't list it correctly, because Scrubs came on at 12, so I didn't get to tape it. Luckily I woke up in time to watch it live on TV & online.

:applaud:

I watched the whole thing from 9am - Noon. Watched C-span for the calls and feedback.
It was fantastic. Loved all the funny signs from I HAVE BED BUGS to DEATH TO NOBODY and my favorites so far: GOD HATES SIGNS and BIRTHERS FOR HAWAII STATEHOOD. hahahah!!:lol:

Michael Franti and Spearhead would have been a better opener IMO. He connects with the crowd and his ENERGY is like a young Bono crowd surfing and all!

I went down there- it was absolutely packed and hard to move around. I couldn't get within 2 blocks of the stage. Lots of funny signs mocking Tea Party sign misspellings.

On the Ground at the Stewart/Colbert Rally | The Blaze

I interviewed a number of different people at the rally, asking each of them where they were from and why they came to DC for the rally. This is how the majority of those conversations played out:

Q: So what brings you to Washington today?
A: The rally!
Q: Well, duh. But why are you at today’s rally?
A: To restore sanity!
Q: But what does that mean? What message are you specifically hoping to send by being here today?
A: People need to stop acting crazy.
Q: Who is acting ‘crazy’?
A: Everyone! People need to stop acting crazy.

And the fact that multiple people showed up with pictures of Republicans with Hitler mustaches is just rich. Real Einsteins, these.

Back
Top Bottom