Rally to Restore Sanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only two Hitler mustaches in that slide show were on a kitten and Groucho Marx. Groucho may have been a Republican, but that was a long time ago. The kitten I'm pretty sure doesn't give a fuck. Cats never do.

I wasn't referring to the slideshow on that link. Do you want me to show you pictures and video?

I like how you responded to his post of all people, because Beav was the one who cared least if you responded.

I honestly didn't see too much worth responding to. By me simply pointing out peoples' hypocrisy when it comes to Hitler references and appearing to be halfway intelligent, BVS said I "missed the point," martha said I don't understand irony, and financeguy went off in a direction that I really don't see as relevant.

What do you say about people at the rally showing conservatives as Hitler? Is that sane? Is that being informed? Or is it just them being funny and not really meaning it? What about the video, which I'd be glad to share, of multiple people there thinking "Keynesian" meant "being from Kenya?" Is that the level of reason and intelligence to which we should strive?

No, the level of intelligence and reason we should strive for is that of the event organizers. Jon Stewart is a reasonable and intelligent man.

You're quite welcome, Jeannieco! It was an excellent read, he's a very talented writer.

We do need the comic relief. Absolutely. And I'm happy that there are people out there willing to bring that. A stor, I love the Muslim ones, too-they make their point in a strong yet simple way. I'm really glad they thought to do that.

:giggle: Do tell, how do you really feel about Brett :p?

I just got tired of his back and forth about retiring. Seriously, I thought I was indecisive... The picture thing is just dumb, too. There are some things that don't need to be sent via any sort of technological device.

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed"-cute. Now there's a conspiracy I'd be interested in...

Angela

Thanks Angela. I think they made a very important statement. I am lucky to be friends with a few moderate Muslims. They know I am Catholic and always make it a point to wish me a "Merry Christmas." Respecting my faith and I certainly respect their's.

A few weeks age. There was a bomb threat in my neighborhood. It had nothing to do with Muslims or the Middle East. Just some physco a-hole of an ex boyfriend who threatened to blow up his ex-girlfriends car. The police sectioned off the entire area. The bomb squad was called in. I live right across the street from a elementary school. The children had to be evacuated.

My friend who is originally from Egypt was coming home from work. And she asked me what is happening? She thought that maybe a child had been hit by a car. When, I told her of the bomb threat. Her response was. "OMG please no. is anyone hurt? Are the children safe?"

I felt so bad for her. She grew up in the Middle East and became an American Citizen over years ago. Both of her daughters were born here. Beautiful, kind and articulate young women. The kind of girls that any parent would be very proud of.

There was no bomb, BTW. But, what we Americans would we shrug off as some kind of lunatic nutcase just making a threat. Truly frightened her.

I just looked up 'meme' on Wikipedia and my brain almost exploded. I'm so behind in the digital age.:sad:

I honestly didn't see too much worth responding to. By me simply pointing out peoples' hypocrisy when it comes to Hitler references and appearing to be halfway intelligent, BVS said I "missed the point," martha said I don't understand irony, and financeguy went off in a direction that I really don't see as relevant.
I think everyone here has addressed at one point in their time in FYM that Hitler references are uncalled for and happen on both sides. I didn't see any serious ones at this rally but that doesn't mean they didn't exist, and if they did they would be just as wrong as the Tea Partiers.

BUT, Stewart nor any of the "leaders" are encouraging or making these references, both Beck and Rush have.

What about the video, which I'd be glad to share, of multiple people there thinking "Keynesian" meant "being from Kenya?"

:lol: that's funny... See? Ignorant people on all sides.

Is that the level of reason and intelligence to which we should strive?

It's what the Tea Partiers love! :hug:

Dude, your righteous indignation at the *gasp* humor of these marchers doesn't really hold water when you have actually defended those idiot tea partiers.

These people were having some fun. The tea partiers are serious. Which scares the shit out of you?

I wasn't referring to the slideshow on that link. Do you want me to show you pictures and video?

Just some pictures would be fine. Thanks!

I like how you responded to his post of all people, because Beav was the one who cared least if you responded.

He's also like the first person to ever respond to me in here - aside from some dude that called me stupid last month because I don't know the difference between a "store" and a "shop" or some shit.

I don't see any hypocrisy about Hitler references, don't see anyone here defending them and I can't imagine they would. A Hitler sign that is literal rather than mocking and humorous (and thus making a point about the ridiculousness of a Hitler sign) is different though, and I see nothing wrong with pointing that out. Don't think either is necessary or preferable but there is a difference :shrug:

I like turtles

There's one in the slideshow that has Hitler moustaches on some right-wing politicians and news people (I couldn't see very well who was all on the sign).

A stor, yeah, I remember you mentioning that. It is interesting, the difference in reaction to such a horrific event depending on who you are. But it's no surprise she'd be terrified, I certainly would be, too. I'm really glad nothing wound up coming of the threat-any word on whether or not the idiot responsible is getting punished for his stupidity?

I like the respect between you and your neighbors with religion. Maybe you guys should teach a class to people, show them how it's supposed to be done :). It sure would be nice if we could see more of that.

What do you say about people at the rally showing conservatives as Hitler? Is that sane? Is that being informed? Or is it just them being funny and not really meaning it? What about the video, which I'd be glad to share, of multiple people there thinking "Keynesian" meant "being from Kenya?" Is that the level of reason and intelligence to which we should strive?

Sounds to me like they were pointing out how absurd and offensive those kinds of ignorant mindsets are-i.e., "Put yourself in the other person's shoes for a moment" with the Hitler thing, or "This is how silly some of the anti-Obama scare tactics have/could have gotten" in regards to the Keynesian thing. I can't imagine people attending such a rally as this one would truly be so stupid as to confuse the two words like that or legitimately compare the other side to Hitler.

Angela

There's one in the slideshow that has Hitler moustaches on some right-wing politicians and news people (I couldn't see very well who was all on the sign).

It also looks like one on Bill Clinton. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looked like to me. Or maybe that's a different web page I was looking at, at this point I've seen so many and it's all becoming a blur. But I did see one that looked like him.

A stor, yeah, I remember you mentioning that. It is interesting, the difference in reaction to such a horrific event depending on who you are. But it's no surprise she'd be terrified, I certainly would be, too. I'm really glad nothing wound up coming of the threat-any word on whether or not the idiot responsible is getting punished for his stupidity?

I like the respect between you and your neighbors with religion. Maybe you guys should teach a class to people, show them how it's supposed to be done :). It sure would be nice if we could see more of that.

Sounds to me like they were pointing out how absurd and offensive those kinds of ignorant mindsets are-i.e., "Put yourself in the other person's shoes for a moment" with the Hitler thing, or "This is how silly some of the anti-Obama scare tactics have/could have gotten" in regards to the Keynesian thing. I can't imagine people attending such a rally as this one would truly be so stupid as to confuse the two words like that or legitimately compare the other side to Hitler.

Angela

Thank you Angela. Maybe, she and I should teach a class on how to treat others with respect and kindness. My husband and I are Cathoic. Our son and daugter in law are Muslim. We have wonderful conversations as to how simular the two faiths are. We respect all. Everyone has to follow and be what is right for them. "To thine own heart be true."

I don't know if the nut job who terrorised my working/middle class neighborhood has been caught as of yet and when he is. I hope they throw away the key. It isn't funny to frighten 1200 families. That is how many townhomes are in my community. I had never seen anything like it. Streets were blocked off to ensure that no one got hurt. It's really sad to hear little kids say "mommy, there is a bomb." Parents weren't even allowed near the school. The police evacuated the children to safer place, several streets away. Where their parents could take them home.

I like my neighborhood. It is multi-ethnic, multi-religious and etc. I think we are a good example of what Americans are really like. We work hard, try to raise our children right and for the most part. We get along very well with each other. Of course, there have been a few arguments between some neighbors because of "your kid did this to mine." But never guns or physical violence, just a disagreement.

Back
Top Bottom