Rally to Restore Sanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stewart_colbert_rally_aerial_1_620x350.JPG

Jon Stewart Rally Attracts Estimated 215,000 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

That is waaaay more than I ever expected to actually show up. Awesome. :up:

Me too...

What will be Glenn's spin tomorrow?:hmm:

How could you sell tickets to something like that?

I must admit that I'm ignorant when it comes to political rallies and such.:reject:

I figured that any proceeds would go to a special fund or something.

You know how the news always shows Palin speaking in front of a group of people inside some sort of convention hall?

Did those people actually pay $$$$ to go inside and hear her speak?:huh:

Yep, it was free, as are all rallies on the Mall.
Jon actually asked any landscapers in the crowd to stay and help clean up afterwards and he said to them
"it would be great if you could to leave a topiary or 2 behind". :lol:
Since you know, the place is a tad in disrepair unfortunately. From what I understand they need to raise 4 million somehow to restore the sod and make other repairs.

Maybe any Hitler signs that were there were meant to be sarcasm or mocking, etc. I don't know. I don't approve of anyone doing that kind of stuff.

I was only able to watch about an hour before I had to go out..and for me it was just pretty painful :silent: Guido Sarducci is not funny, if he ever was to begin with. Maybe it got better as it went along.

^^Ya, I agree. There were parts that bombed comedy wise and the music during the warm up first hour before Jon and Stephen came on had me yawning and very uninspired. They needed somebody up there singing songs everybody knew... and it was far from that during the warm-up any way!

THe abosolute best part of the whole thing for me was Jon's speech at the end and all the funny signs. There are some great montages on utube.

Yeah, there were some bits here and there that some found to be kinda slow and all that. I personally enjoyed the whole thing (I don't know a whole lot from either John Legend or the Roots, but I really liked their set), but I can see where some parts were more interesting to some than others. Such is the case with most rallies, I'm sure.

When I saw Kareem show up, for a brief moment I totally mistook him for the lead singer of Midnight Oil :p. I was thinking, "Well, THERE'S a random guest..."

I figured that any proceeds would go to a special fund or something.

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. A lot of people who went/watch the shows do also often donate to various charities that the guys promote.

You know how the news always shows Palin speaking in front of a group of people inside some sort of convention hall?

Did those people actually pay $$$$ to go inside and hear her speak?:huh:

Yep. And it isn't cheap, either.

Jeannieco, fantastic article from your brother, thanks for sharing that (and thanks for your kind words to my post as well)! So many excellent points made in there, this being a notable one:

Not to worry, Al Qaeda’s best ally in its efforts to disrupt, terrify, and ultimately bankrupt America is, well, America, in all our fright-night, house of mirrors glory.

Precisely. How many more times do we have to play into their fear tactics before we wise up and realize we're giving them exactly what they wanted? They don't need bombs and 9/11-style attacks anymore to scare us. Fear and suspicion are certainly logical, human reactions, but we need to learn how and when to express such emotions, they can't rule our lives.

I've no doubt Murrow, as well as Cronkite, would be aghast at what passes for professional news nowadays. And the funny thing is that you can tell a lot of the people in today's news climate think they're somehow following in either man's footsteps, or believe they'll one day be as revered. Which is why it's particularly funny to watch them squirm and get all rankled whenever Jon or Stephen poke fun at them.

What will be Glenn's spin tomorrow?:hmm:

Will be very interesting to see what he has to say, yeah. But it won't be just him-already it sounds like a lot of left-leaning commentators got a bit bothered at the thought of being lumped into that montage they showed at the rally of TV pundits who aren't helping the discourse. Sorry, guys, I may agree with a good deal of the sentiments you express, but the fact is, you're just as guilty as the right is, too. You need to calm down as much as the Becks and O'Reillys of the world need to.

But honestly, if that's about the only thing they can find to complain about, then that speaks well of the rally's intentions. I'm very happy to hear they had that big a turnout, too, and when you add in everyone who watched online or on TV here and in other parts of the world...pretty hefty numbers :up:.

Angela

I am laughing so hard! These signs are brilliant.

I loved the ones "God Hates Figs." And "OMG snake! Help! Snake!" Who says Americans don't have a sense of humor.

I loved the moderate muslim couple. May Allah bless them!

And the gentleman dressed in white Middle Eastern Clothing with a sign on his back. "We didn't do it."

Awesome! :applaud:

think we can send the "Don't be a douche" one to Brett Favre personally :p?

He's like, so awesome-he plays on broken bones, he could have had a broken jaw but he did have eight stitches and he lost but he's still all kinds of awesome and he was just so completely non narcissistic in his post game press conference. I heard he can still text pictures of his penis with sore thumbs. He's Superdouche. I think he should run for President.

I love those signs, I could look at them all day.

I have a Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed sweatshirt (Christimas present from my mother a few years back). It is awesome.

You're quite welcome, Jeannieco! It was an excellent read, he's a very talented writer.

We do need the comic relief. Absolutely. And I'm happy that there are people out there willing to bring that. A stor, I love the Muslim ones, too-they make their point in a strong yet simple way. I'm really glad they thought to do that.

He's like, so awesome-he plays on broken bones, he could have had a broken jaw but he did have eight stitches and he lost but he's still all kinds of awesome and he was just so completely non narcissistic in his post game press conference. I heard he can still text pictures of his penis with sore thumbs. He's Superdouche. I think he should run for President.

:giggle: Do tell, how do you really feel about Brett :p?

I just got tired of his back and forth about retiring. Seriously, I thought I was indecisive... The picture thing is just dumb, too. There are some things that don't need to be sent via any sort of technological device.

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed"-cute. Now there's a conspiracy I'd be interested in...

Angela

I would gladly see Favre break both legs if it prevented another summer of "Will he or won't he" sports news cycles.

Fuck I am so tired of that jackass.

On the Ground at the Stewart/Colbert Rally | The Blaze

And the fact that multiple people showed up with pictures of Republicans with Hitler mustaches is just rich. Real Einsteins, these.

The only two Hitler mustaches in that slide show were on a kitten and Groucho Marx. Groucho may have been a Republican, but that was a long time ago. The kitten I'm pretty sure doesn't give a fuck. Cats never do.

Back
Top Bottom