Radical proposal to bulldoze entire US cities under consideration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
The government looking at expanding a pioneering scheme in Flint, one of the poorest US cities, which involves razing entire districts and returning the land to nature.

Local politicians believe the city must contract by as much as 40 per cent, concentrating the dwindling population and local services into a more viable area.

The radical experiment is the brainchild of Dan Kildee, treasurer of Genesee County, which includes Flint.

Having outlined his strategy to Barack Obama during the election campaign, Mr Kildee has now been approached by the US government and a group of charities who want him to apply what he has learnt to the rest of the country.

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive - Telegraph

The intelligence level of some people who comment on articles, youtube videos, etc is absolutely shocking to me...:doh:

That being said, this is something that has been a problem here in the states for a loooong time, this recent economic environment I'm sure has made it worse but this is nothing created by this downturn. Smaller blue collar cities that basically "feed" off the nearest larger city but are their own, but when the industry changed of that city a fast deteriation occurs and soon you have a ghost town.

I can understand the thinking behind this but it does seem pretty extreme...:hmm:

razing entire districts and returning the land to nature.

This pretty much ties into something Jeff Rubin speaks to in his book about our world getting smaller in the other thread - bye bye suburbia, hello farmland. I haven't read the book but one of the reviews mentioned this idea.

I love my job and it's in a very secure market, but if this is part of creating new jobs sign me up.

Maybe we can just put some fake high value targets all around and let North Korea take care of it.

I'd say it's probably a good idea. Cities have historically risen and fallen, and, in some cases, risen again, and I think it is probably foolish to think that urban decay won't happen in our modern world. It clearly has. At least this time around, we may be developing a proper way to manage the decline, rather than just letting property that clearly nobody wants rust ingloriously.

We should consider that for parts of East Germany. But I would get beaten to death if I said it loudly over here. :D

There are positive things about suburbia. When I go into the city I always think it's great to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I have never lived in a city so maybe it's all just what you're used to :shrug: The city is just a 45-50 min train ride away-and I like trains.

It's not like all of suburbia is meant to be bulldozed away, only those parts that are dying anyways I would say.

I think the American fashion of developments in the middle of nowhere is something that should be well thought about.

Guys have you ever been to Flint? LOL it's not exactly the nice "suburbia" I'm thinking you're thinking. It's one of the worst cities in the US. I've live in Michigan for 24 years and guess what, I've never been to Flint either. I avoid it like the plague.

Back
Top Bottom