Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #781
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Pretty much, rioting isn't intended as an end/solution, but a release of anger in the face of the state.
CVS is not a state run store.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #782
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:40 AM
CVS is not the issue here.

systemic police brutality is.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #783
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There's no why to it; that's not the point. It's an expression of anger, not an attempt at justice. Forgive me if I don't really care about CVS having to re-build a store. I care about Freddie Gray getting his spine shattered and getting ignored when he begged to get medical attention.

This should not and cannot be about the riots. They're not what matters. Concerning yourself with the riots takes the discussion away from the real issue: police brutality.
Really? What if 5, 10 or 15 people had died in the fire at CVS? This type of violence threatens the safety and security of a half a million people living in Baltimore. I'm sure you would feel differently if your place of work and home were trashed and burned to the ground.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #784
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
CVS is not the issue here.

systemic police brutality is.
Its that type of attitude that lets people loot, burn, rape, and murder. "I'm not going to stop my friend from breaking into the store and taking the TV because, you know, the police did a terrible thing." "I knew that guy who died at the hands of the police, lets burn that McDonald's down"
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #785
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Its that type of attitude that lets people loot, burn, rape, and murder. "I'm not going to stop my friend from breaking into the store and taking the TV because, you know, the police did a terrible thing." "I knew that guy who died at the hands of the police, lets burn that McDonald's down"

no. it's the attitude that property crime is more important than systemic police brutality that leads to more violence.

you're doing what the police want you to do -- lose sight of the real issue by being distracted by the fiery images.

read the article posted earlier: Undue force - Sun Investigates - The Baltimore Sun

also, were there rapes and murders last night? did i miss something?

who was murdered? other than that kid by the Baltimore Police?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #786
Acrobat

Quote:
no. it's the attitude that property crime is more important than systemic police brutality that leads to more violence.

you're doing what the police want you to do -- lose sight of the real issue by being distracted by the fiery images.

read the article posted earlier: Undue force - Sun Investigates - The Baltimore Sun

That is pretty naïve to believe this is just some petty property crime, like a bunch of students play mischief on the weekends. These are acts of violence that could have led to the deaths of hundreds of people. How many lives and damage to the city is a single act of police brutality worth?
These are not actions that will in any way solve the problem of police brutality or bring justice for anyone who was a victim of police brutality. These people running into stores and stealing vast quantities of goods are not doing it for a man they didn't know, they are doing it for themselves and its wrong. Mass crime is wrong because it hurts mass numbers of people and threatens the lives of everyone who live in the city.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #787
Acrobat

Quote:

If someone pelted you with stones do you think your life would be in danger? Could that be called attempted murder? Does it make it all ok just as long as you don't die? What if someone set fire to your home, place of work, would you consider that a threat to your life or the lives of people you know? Because no one died does that make it ok?
Also, just because you have not heard that anyone was raped or murder last night does not mean it didn't happen. Lets not forget that Baltimore is a city where 211 people were murdered in 2014. On average, someone is raped or murdered in Baltimore every other day.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #788
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
That is pretty naïve to believe this is just some petty property crime, like a bunch of students play mischief on the weekends. These are acts of violence that could have led to the deaths of hundreds of people.
How come we only hear about how dangerous riots are when they are carried out by minorities in response to systemic injustice, and not white people in response to... oh I don't know, winning and/or losing a sporting event?

Besides, these hypothetical hundreds of deaths (talk about hyperbolic fear-mongering) did not occur, and shifting the focus from ACTUAL deaths at the hands of police to hypothetical deaths is disrespectful to those who were ACTUALLY killed or permanently disabled at the hands of police.

Quote:
How many lives and damage to the city is a single act of police brutality worth?
That is pretty naïve to believe this is the result of merely a single act of police brutality.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #789
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If someone pelted you with stones do you think your life would be in danger? Could that be called attempted murder? Does it make it all ok just as long as you don't die? What if someone set fire to your home, place of work, would you consider that a threat to your life or the lives of people you know? Because no one died does that make it ok?
Also, just because you have not heard that anyone was raped or murder last night does not mean it didn't happen. Lets not forget that Baltimore is a city where 211 people were murdered in 2014. On average, someone is raped or murdered in Baltimore every other day.

did you know, STING, that it IS possible to condemn violence while, at the same time, understanding where it comes from and why it happens, and also to condemn systemic racism and police brutality that created these conditions over decades to begin with?

please, go ahead and connect last nights murders and rapes in Baltimore to the tiny percentage of protestors who rioted. because that's what they want you to do so you can continue to feel good about ignoring the deeper, more troubling issues.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #790
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
How come we only hear about how dangerous riots are when they are carried out by minorities in response to systemic injustice, and not white people in response to... oh I don't know, winning and/or losing a sporting event?

White People Rioting for No Reason -- NYMag
Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #791
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

Besides, these hypothetical hundreds of deaths (talk about hyperbolic fear-mongering) did not occur, and shifting the focus from ACTUAL deaths at the hands of police to hypothetical deaths is disrespectful to those who were ACTUALLY killed or permanently disabled at the hands of police.

That is pretty naïve to believe this is the result of merely a single act of police brutality.
I never said anyone died, I said hundreds of peoples lives were at risk because of this mass violence.
I've never heard of a CVS store being burned down because of someone winning or losing a sporting event. Have you?
This violence was not happening 3 days ago or last week or last month. It started after the funeral of one man.
The focus naturally moves far away from single act of police brutality when an entire American city Is under the threat of violence. Yes, the lives and welfare of all 620,000 Baltimore citizens is a greater priority.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #792
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I never said anyone died, I said hundreds of peoples lives were at risk because of this mass violence.
I've never heard of a CVS store being burned down because of someone winning or losing a sporting event. Have you?
This violence was not happening 3 days ago or last week or last month. It started after the funeral of one man.
The focus naturally moves far away from single act of police brutality when an entire American city Is under the threat of violence. Yes, the lives and welfare of all 620,000 Baltimore citizens is a greater priority.

wait, A SINGLE ACT of brutality? please, do read the Baltimore Sun article.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #793
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:40 PM
But guys, one of the rioters mom's gave him a smack down in the street. This is the actual story to be talking about this morning
Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #794
Blue Crack Supplier

11 Stunning Images Highlight the Double Standard of Reactions to Riots Like Baltimore - Mic
Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #795
Acrobat

Quote:
wait, A SINGLE ACT of brutality? please, do read the Baltimore Sun article.
Ok, so where were the riots in 2014 when the article was written? If Freddie Gray was still alive that CVS would still be serving customers today. Police would be having a typical day in Baltimore.