Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #556
War Child

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Yet, our cops across the country are being blasted. Men who risk their lives every day to uphold the law.

Using 2013 statistics, around 0.3 cops out of every 100,000 get murdered by criminals. Up to 0.03 Americans out of every 100,000 get murdered by cops. Fuck the entire idea that modern police should be deified for risking their lives every day; fuck the phrase civil servants. Policeman are policeman for one reason: they like being policeman. And there's nothing wrong with that. I like being an engineer. But I don't expect to be judged from a different code of conduct because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #557
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Using 2013 statistics, around 0.3 cops out of every 100,000 get murdered by criminals. Up to 0.03 Americans out of every 100,000 get murdered by cops. Fuck the entire idea that modern police should be deified for risking their lives every day; fuck the phrase civil servants. Policeman are policeman for one reason: they like being policeman. And there's nothing wrong with that. I like being an engineer. But I don't expect to be judged from a different code of conduct because of it.

This makes about zero sense. You don't think cops should be judged by a different code of conduct? Different compared to who?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #558
War Child

Compared to any other citizen who used lethal force in a situation where they could not reasonably consider their life to be in danger. Really, I don't think that was that hard to understand.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #559
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Compared to any other citizen who used lethal force in a situation where they could not reasonably consider their life to be in danger. Really, I don't think that was that hard to understand.

If you thought any of those cops thought their life in danger with Garner than you are either a sheep or you think very little of the police.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #560
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:54 PM
I don't think he thought that, BVS, I think you're misreading.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #561
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Then can you translate as to why in the context of this conversation he came in with that comment?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #562
War Child

The post was directed at a segment of a previous post lamenting how cops are "being blasted," even though they "risk their lives every day." I then replied with statistics showing that, generally speaking, police work isn't all that dangerous.

The idea that cops should be respected and honored for their service to the community, for "risking their lives for us," isn't a new one, and is one I disagree with. I then explained that working as a police officer isn't really all that different from working any other job. Since it isn't, their actions should be judged no different than anyone else's.

Do you think working as a policeman is especially dangerous?

Do you think the majority of the police force in America does the job out of some sense of civic duty?

Do you think that their actions SHOULD be judged differently?

Do you think that their actions aren't currently judged differently?

I'm honestly having trouble discerning what could've confused you

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #563
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I understand better now, thank you. I don't agree with everything, but I understand.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #564
War Child

In retrospect, I wrote the original comment more vaguely than I thought. Glad we're on the same page now!

What don't you agree with, though? My own opinions on these issues are a bit in flux, so I'm always interested in hearing others' takes on it.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #565
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
In retrospect, I wrote the original comment more vaguely than I thought. Glad we're on the same page now!

What don't you agree with, though? My own opinions on these issues are a bit in flux, so I'm always interested in hearing others' takes on it.

I do believe that the job is more dangerous than most and that should be respected. I understand that as an engineer you hold the responsibility if your bridge or system fails, but you don't have to design that within split seconds. Police do put their lives on the line, it's part of their job. Some do it out of civic duty, others do not. Some respect their role, others do not. BUT they have a job where they hold the power, you and I do not. People have a choice when it comes to what engineer they choose or what merchant they choose, we don't have much of a choice when it comes to the police. They ARE the law, even if it's lawless, and the poorer you are, the more disenfranchised you are it rings more true.

They should be respected, but the system should always be questioned and held accountable.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #566
Refugee

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
The post was directed at a segment of a previous post lamenting how cops are "being blasted," even though they "risk their lives every day." I then replied with statistics showing that, generally speaking, police work isn't all that dangerous.

The idea that cops should be respected and honored for their service to the community, for "risking their lives for us," isn't a new one, and is one I disagree with. I then explained that working as a police officer isn't really all that different from working any other job. Since it isn't, their actions should be judged no different than anyone else's.
Do you actually have any law enforcement experience, or are you just talking out your ass?

I'm gonna guess the latter.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #567
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I do think cops should be respected and honored for the good service they provide, but I don't think they should be put on a legal pedestal that makes it extremely difficult to prosecute the ones who cross the line. I also think we need to take a hard look at police tactics and ask ourselves if perhaps too many police forces are acting in a way which needlessly escalates situations which can be handled in a less confrontational manner that actively tries to avoid violent outcomes, rather than encourage them.

For instance, if you're a police officer and you use an illegal choke hold to subdue a non-violent citizen who, at best, is only mildly resistant, and the coroner determines that the choke hold was a contributing factor in the death of that citizen, you should be charged with a crime. Period. I don't think that's an extreme position to take.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 PM

Old 12-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 PM

There are some really shitty cops to be sure, and on the other hand there are cops like my stepmom who works her ass off and has been decorated for various things (some for specific actions, some for being part of different operations or units, and some for good conduct). She makes enough to live comfortably but doesn't do it for the money. She does it because she loves being a cop, and working with communities to make them safer.

We should honour cops like my stepmom, but that doesn't mean they all deserve blanket worship.

It's the same with firefighters and military. I was in the Army for five years so I can speak to this first hand. Some soldiers are incredible people who do amazing things. Some are assholes who couldn't care less and use their position to get away with horribly shitty things like murder or rape.

This really should not be a "for or against" issue. You shouldn't be told that you hate all police if you call out the POS cops, and you shouldn't be praising all police as if they are living breathing saints. There needs to be a middle ground. Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the world is losing its sense of nuance and becoming so polarized that we are incapable of seeing the gray area and only treat these issues in a black and white (no pun intended) kind of way. It really sucks.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #570
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:

Do you think working as a policeman is especially dangerous?

Do you think the majority of the police force in America does the job out of some sense of civic duty?

Do you think that their actions SHOULD be judged differently?

Do you think that their actions aren't currently judged differently?

I'm honestly having trouble discerning what could've confused you

better question: do you really think some un-cited statistic on how many cops are actually murdered by criminals proves anything regarding dangers of the job? that's some simple-minded, flawed logic there. they're not getting killed left and right, it must be a safe job!