Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #376
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,415
Local Time: 04:10 AM
__________________

__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,922
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #378
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
What do you think will happen in Ferguson (and the rest of the nation) if no charges are filed against Darren Wilson? (even if forensics, DOJ, and FBI all agree there was not enough evidence to charge). This is a hypothetical question.
I think there's a high likelihood that Wilson will walk away with little to no meaningful charges, even if the evidence is strong enough to put a regular citizen away for life.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I think there's a high likelihood that Wilson will walk away with little to no meaningful charges, even if the evidence is strong enough to put a regular citizen away for life.
Really? Even with Holder looking over everyone's shoulder?
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #380
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,415
Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I think there's a high likelihood that Wilson will walk away with little to no meaningful charges, even if the evidence is strong enough to put a regular citizen away for life.
So what do you think would happen? Would people give up and go away, would they keep protesting in Ferguson until they get tired and nothing changes, or would it be LA 1993 all over again?
__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #381
The Fly
 
Izzy.nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 216
Local Time: 04:10 AM
Wonder how the situation is in Utah with the similar incident


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Izzy.nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #382
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:10 AM
He was at least wearing a body camera.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #383
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
... or would it be LA 1993 all over again?
I'm thinking it will be more like this, only in numerous major cities.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #384
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests

It all depends on how it's handled. If he walks away and there still isn't any real info released? Then yeah, it could be bad.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #385
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Really? Even with Holder looking over everyone's shoulder?
Honestly, yes. I think the history of trials against police officers kind of speaks for itself, even in cases where the evidence seemed compelling enough to convict. The laws governing police tactics are often written in such a way that give way more benefit of the doubt to police than a regular citizen would get in the same situation. And some of that is no doubt necessary due to the difficulty of the job and the potential for coming into contact with violence, but obviously it can be and historically has been abused by some officers.

I think if Holder does his job then this starts a process of meaningful nationwide reassessment and restructuring of police procedures and the protocols behind the use of force, deadly or otherwise.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It all depends on how it's handled. If he walks away and there still isn't any real info released?
I think this makes sense. At this point, there is going to need to be some forensic evidence released that PROVES Michael was still advancing. Some African-American eyewitnesses testimony that syncs with this evidence would also help calm people down - if Darren Wilson isn't charged.

If he is charged, and it goes to trial, and it seems it could either way (Zimmerman trial) - and he gets acquitted, I think that would also cause rioting.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #387
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
The laws governing police tactics are often written in such a way that give way more benefit of the doubt to police than a regular citizen would get in the same situation.
I see your point. The defense (if it comes to that) probably has A LOT to work with regarding the right of the officer to engage with deadly force.

Just about every cop I've seen interviewed states that if Michael wasn't complying - and kept walking/charging toward the officer (especially after Michael already "wrestled/hit" the officer) - the officer was justified to keep firing until Michael was stopped (which in this case meant death).

It really all comes down to that - did Michael move toward the cop after he froze. If he did, then it seems, from what I've heard, the officer won't be charged with anything.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #388
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 03:10 AM
Here's a pretty compelling reason why 1)dashcams are necessary and 2)police protocol should be changed so that dashcam recordings must be turned in as evidence in court:

The Investigators: Dashcam video clears NJ man; Cops now indicted | 7online.com
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #389
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,048
Local Time: 08:10 PM
So what about this man Dillon Taylor, a white/Hispanic bloke who was killed by police in Utah. I assume this is what annoys AEON, that there is a big focus on Michael Brown, as he was a black killed by a white, but there has been less coverage about Dillon Taylor. I was going to post a link, but so far the two most prominent ones I've seen are from Fox News (whose bias I know about) and Washington Times. I have no idea who owns or what the bias is for the Washington Times, but judging by their reporting of it I get the feeling they are very much a Fox News/NY Post style paper.

I haven't got the time to do more researching, has Taylor's death got much coverage?
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 07:10 PM
The Moonies used to own the Washington Times, not sure who owns it now.
__________________

__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com