Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #361
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
And that's just fine. I agree. Wasn't saying I didn't agree. But silencing the other side, completely is wrong. But I don't think every crackpot theory should get equal airtime, either. I've never liked that system of news reporting, either.

i think that's what we're complaining about -- presenting "now, here's the other side ... we report, you decide ... teach the controversy" equivocates between two opinions that don't deserve the same weight. creationism isn't a different opinion from evolution. one is a scientific theory and the other is a religious belief. they aren't comparable. that's all.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #362
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think that's what we're complaining about -- presenting "now, here's the other side ... we report, you decide ... teach the controversy" equivocates between two opinions that don't deserve the same weight. creationism isn't a different opinion from evolution. one is a scientific theory and the other is a religious belief. they aren't comparable. that's all.

Exactly, teaching or giving airtime to both sides when one side is completely wrong just isn't right. It's misleading to say that there's a debate over things such as whether creationism is true or whether the climate is changing. Giving airtime to both sides in a false equivalency situation is damaging to society. It's one of the reasons why we haven't taken any serious action to combat climate change.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #363
The Fly

Again, those are two different topics with different sides.

You should be able to hear both sides, perhaps even break it down into several facets, I think we used to do that as part of civil conversation at some point. Now it seems you either follow one school of thought or you are completely opposed to it. The gray has been removed. I guess it makes for better pseudo debate on fox and cnn

Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #364
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I think what I was trying to say got lost in the shuffle of me being at a festival right now. But basically I totally agree. Believe that or not.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #365
The Fly

Off topic what festival and was U2 there

Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #366
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy.nyc View Post
Again, those are two different topics with different sides.

You should be able to hear both sides, perhaps even break it down into several facets, I think we used to do that as part of civil conversation at some point. Now it seems you either follow one school of thought or you are completely opposed to it. The gray has been removed. I guess it makes for better pseudo debate on fox and cnn

No. What's happened is that there used to be a center, if you will. There was agreed upon facts that were reported by a small number of need outlets. Now, there's infinite choice, which means fewer agrees upon facts, and he ability for people to exist in the echo chamber of a comments section on certain websites, or the ability to change the channel to more agreeable news when you don't like the reality of what's being reported. It's more and more grey that's the problem, IMO.

Sent from
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #367
The Fly

Yeah to read both sides and go beyond page 1 of google, cnn, fox etc is sobering. To learn about something is to really consider what you don't agree with, which is hard for some people.

And I'm glad the name calling here is minimal!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #368
Blue Crack Distributor

FYF fest. No, no U2, lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #369
The Fly

That was actually a very impressive lineup. Lot of up and comers. Did you get to catch caribou(oldie but goodie)?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #370
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Could we maybe take the discussions about media balance to a new thread and get back on topic here?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #371
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
No. What's happened is that there used to be a center, if you will. There was agreed upon facts that were reported by a small number of need outlets. Now, there's infinite choice, which means fewer agrees upon facts, and he ability for people to exist in the echo chamber of a comments section on certain websites, or the ability to change the channel to more agreeable news when you don't like the reality of what's being reported. It's more and more grey that's the problem, IMO.

Sent from
Ding. We have a winner
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #372
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:59 PM
What do you think will happen in Ferguson (and the rest of the nation) if no charges are filed against Darren Wilson? (even if forensics, DOJ, and FBI all agree there was not enough evidence to charge). This is a hypothetical question.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
What do you think will happen in Ferguson (and the rest of the nation) if no charges are filed against Darren Wilson? (even if forensics, DOJ, and FBI all agree there was not enough evidence to charge). This is a hypothetical question.
Whew. Considering what we've seen already, I don't want to imagine that scenario.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #374
The Fly

How long do they have to file?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #375
Blue Crack Distributor

I was just wondering about that last night. Is he just sitting at home chilling right now? I thought that they did, at the very least, deem his death to be a homicide. Does the police officer just...walk around free until they file a charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy.nyc View Post
That was actually a very impressive lineup. Lot of up and comers. Did you get to catch caribou(oldie but goodie)?

No, we saw Caribou open for Radiohead a couple years ago and they haven't (yet) released anything new since, so we decided to pass. It was an OK festival that was very poorly managed.