Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #346
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,454
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy.nyc View Post
So restrict a dissenting voice that says it may be inconclusive? I'm not talking about overt deniers


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's not inconclusive. The science is rock-solid. Restrict their access to the media or let them on air, but point out the overwhelming evidence that climate change is caused by humans.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #347
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,454
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You choose to believe the theory is right, right? Even though you have absolutely no way of knowing for 100% sure that it's fact. No one spites you this. But at the end of the day, it's still a belief system. You shouldn't be allowed to silence people who don't agree with you because you've labeled one philosophy and one science.

Evolution is not a belief system. It's a scientific fact with overwhelming evidence supporting it. Creationism is not scientific fact, it is a belief system with no evidence. The news is supposed to be fact-based, creationism is not fact-based, therefore creationist viewpoints shouldn't be given equal airtime in the media. It'd be like having a debate between a flat-earther and a geologist.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #348
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:53 AM
I just get very uncomfortable when I hear people talking about censoring the news.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #349
The Fly
 
Izzy.nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 216
Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
It's not inconclusive. The science is rock-solid. Restrict their access to the media or let them on air, but point out the overwhelming evidence that climate change is caused by humans.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've read otherwise and was concerned when the scientific method was bypassed in order to get supporting evidence. But believe what you believe, it's your right. Not sure this is a great venue to persuade or dissuade others.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Izzy.nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #350
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Sort of along similar lines to this current discussion, I was really annoyed by the reporting of a man who survived ebola thanks to treatment. He thanked God, which is fine, but he seemed to completely ignore the science that did play a bit of a part in his surviving, which felt like a slap in the face, and then the media just kept reporting his quotes.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #351
The Fly
 
Izzy.nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 216
Local Time: 11:53 AM
Cobl what story sounds more exciting? The one that's seemingly all faith based, or the one where the guy thanks God and science. The sad thing is a lot of stuff is slanted to catch the eye and enrage so more people read it


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Izzy.nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #352
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 03:53 AM
I know. But it's still frustrating and intellectually dishonest. (No offence, 212, as I stated in the Afterlife thread I have absolutely no problem with someone's faith. But to completely ignore the scientific aspect is annoying)
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,014
Local Time: 03:23 AM
Clinton ignores questions on Ferguson – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Usually one of the first to condemn overseas, can't/won't say anything about this ... not surprised.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #354
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Don't have to say no offense to me. I'm not a delicate flower that will crumble if someone doesn't share my beliefs, that's basically my point.

I do find that a weird thing to get irritated by, though. People don't always think of all of the various paths that are taken when their life is saved. It's not really at the forefront if their mind to thank everyone and their brother, I'd say, from experience. However, I didn't see the quotes, so maybe there's more to it than that.

My point wasn't to have another religious debate. Not in the thread, especially. It seems like an odd place for it.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You shouldn't be allowed to silence people who don't agree with you because you've labeled one philosophy and one science.
I find this statement to be really disturbing.

In what universe do you think "my" labeling of creationism as philosophy is wrong and it instead should be labeled as scientific theory?

I am actually disturbed that anybody would even consider this to be something that's up for debate. But I guess that's exactly the sort of point nbelcik was making upthread...
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #356
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I find this statement to be really disturbing.

In what universe do you think "my" labeling of creationism as philosophy is wrong and it instead should be labeled as scientific theory?

I am actually disturbed that anybody would even consider this to be something that's up for debate. But I guess that's exactly the sort of point nbelcik was making upthread...
I didn't say it wasn't philosophy. Sorry if you misunderstood. I don't want it labeled scientific theory, any more than you do. It's not science.

My point was that you choose to believe the science, which is fine. There is lots and lots of evidence to back up that theory, and that's totally cool and fascinating and I can understand why you are 100% on board. But there is no way, no matter how much you believe in it, you can call it fact without witnessing it yourself. None of us can. And this isn't one of those cheeky arguments that people make, I'm being very sincere here. To believe anything other than one science points towards can be incredibly difficult.

I've said as much before: I'm not free of doubts about some things. The evidence is a compelling argument. What I was saying was that because someone chooses to believe differently from you shouldn't be the huge brick wall that it is. That always confounds me.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #357
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You choose to believe the theory is right, right? Even though you have absolutely no way of knowing for 100% sure that it's fact. No one spites you this. But at the end of the day, it's still a belief system. You shouldn't be allowed to silence people who don't agree with you because you've labeled one philosophy and one science.


different things are different things.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #358
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:53 AM
I don't really want to derail this thread, so I'm fine just leaving it there
The world would be a lot better a place if people on all sides of most situations could just relax a bit and stop trying to convince each other that they're wrong.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #359
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't really want to derail this thread, so I'm fine just leaving it there
The world would be a lot better a place if people on all sides of most situations could just relax a bit and stop trying to convince each other that they're wrong.

but not all thoughts and opinions are of equal value or are equally informed. i'm not against diversity of opinion, or the right to hold any and all opinons, but i am against asserting that all opinions are the same value by virtue of the fact that they are opinions.

so to say, "yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" when it comes to something like evolution or climate change is just silly.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #360
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but not all thoughts and opinions are of equal value or are equally informed. i'm not against diversity of opinion, or the right to hold any and all opinons, but i am against asserting that all opinions are the same value by virtue of the fact that they are opinions.

so to say, "yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" when it comes to something like evolution or climate change is just silly.
And that's just fine. I agree. Wasn't saying I didn't agree. But silencing the other side, completely is wrong. But I don't think every crackpot theory should get equal airtime, either. I've never liked that system of news reporting, either.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com