Racist Police Response to Ferguson Protests - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 AM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Ah, now I understand why we have a different opinion on this:
you're wrong
The theme of the forum....
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #227
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 07:29 PM
No, the theme here is you pretending to be the voice of reason, trying to show the other side of the argument and then blowing your top at a mod when he points out something you don't want to hear.

So to repeat cobl's questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
So you're disputing the facts in the link Diemen posted?
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #228
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,030
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I don't think it is Diemen's role as a mod in a forum such as this to participate in this manner.
Dude he's a volunteer with a life, it's not like he gets paid to do this. He can post as he likes. Never have I seen him post in an inflammatory way. When it becomes a pile-on he calls us on the left out. When "liberals" (I hate using that term because our conservative govt is called Liberal) start getting abusive, he calls them out.

And the post that made you suggest this forum should have another mod was completely innocuous. I don't see what your fuss about it is. He was doing exactly what you were talking about, he provided a link with some facts.

If you think the facts in that link are wrong, then that's another story.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

And the post that made you suggest this forum should have another mod was completely innocuous.
1) I like Diemen. I think the forum would be better served if Diemen was more neutral.

2) I have no frickin' idea who Shaun King is - and I have no way to know/verify many of his claims. I can only use what I see on the publicly accessible web. I've posted links to the sources I've used. I have also stated my opinion on the case IS NOT set in stone.

3) I think that FYM was better with more conservatives in it. It was dynamic, controversial, heated, entertaining - but more importantly, educational.

4) It was't that particular post - it was the number of posts by Diemen in this thread that only supported one-side of the argument. Let us regular users duke it out. When the mods chime in - it feels like the referee is literally wearing the uniform of the opposing team.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
pretending to be the voice of reason,
That's at least some cred - I'll take it.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #231
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,030
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
1) I like Diemen. I think the forum would be better served if Diemen was more neutral.

2) I have no frickin' idea who Shaun King is - and I have no way to know/verify many of his claims. I can only use what I see on the publicly accessible web. I've posted links to the sources I've used. I have also stated my opinion on the case IS NOT set in stone.

3) I think that FYM was better with more conservatives in it. It was dynamic, controversial, heated, entertaining - but more importantly, educational.

4) It was't that particular post - it was the number of posts by Diemen in this thread that only supported one-side of the argument. Let us regular users duke it out.
1, fair, I guess, but again, mods don't get paid, and whilst it's obvious to which side he leans I think he is the most measured of any of us

2, I don't know either, which is why I asked Diemen who he was. I'd like to know more. From what I can gather he is the organiser of a popular change.org petition campaigning against police brutality.

3, totally agree

4, he's still pretty measured I'd say, and again, mod work is not a job...
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Another thought is to allow/recruit some centrist and conservative leaning mods...
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Tonight it was verified within my own heart I am not a racist - because I LOVE Captain Ron Johnson!
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #234
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,021
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I don't think it is Diemen's role as a mod in a forum such as this to participate in this manner.
You do realise he is capable of posting in a personal capacity sometimes and in a mod capacity in others? I thought it was pretty clear when he was doing one or the other. This forum would be much the worse if he did not post his personal opinions - he is one of our more reasoned and articulate individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
3) I think that FYM was better with more conservatives in it. It was dynamic, controversial, heated, entertaining - but more importantly, educational.
I don't recall us having many genuine, classic conservatives - just a bunch of extreme right nutbags who provoked unproductive flame wars.

Anyway, this forum has a fair few people who are only "liberal" in a US sense, and would be centre-right anywhere else. We've got quite a spectrum from the centre-right through to communists. The idea of it being homogeneous seems to only be in the minds of a few on the US far right who can't tell the difference between the centre-left, social democrats, communists, etc.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You do realise he is capable of posting in a personal capacity sometimes and in a mod capacity in others?
I have no way of knowing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I thought it was pretty clear when he was doing one or the other. This forum would be much the worse if he did not post his personal opinions - he is one of our more reasoned and articulate individuals.
Then allow other Right/Center-leaning mods to add balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I don't recall us having many genuine, classic conservatives - just a bunch of extreme right nutbags who provoked unproductive flame wars.
That is not true. In fact, I remember getting a PM from YOU about 10 years ago encouraging me to stand my ground on gay marriage (I was a Republican then - I am a Dislike-All-Parties-Party now). No worries - back then, as an obvious Conservative, I received numerous PMs and emails encouraging me in PRIVATE because of the way users were treated in PUBLIC in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Anyway, this forum has a fair few people who are only "liberal" in a US sense,
Few is the keyword. The forum is dying. I'm sure some DBA out there can get us the numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
and would be centre-right anywhere else. We've got quite a spectrum from the centre-right through to communists. The idea of it being homogeneous seems to only be in the minds of a few on the US far right who can't tell the difference between the centre-left, social democrats, communists, etc.
I am hardly far-right. Yet, that doesn't matter. In forums like this - what matters is debate and discussion (unless you simply love agreement on a continual basis. Me - I love controversial items. I want to debate - to learn - to change my mind if necessary). That is why I loved this forum a decade ago. Now, with it's half dozen back-patting Liberals, FYM is only exciting when someone like me breaks up the circle-jerk with the POSSIBILITY there MAY be another point of view...
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #236
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Then allow other Right/Center-leaning mods to add balance.
This is already allowed. As far as I know there are no rules preventing anyone Right Wing to become a mod.
However, to add a mod to FYM just because he/she is right wing is a ridiculous notion.
Since you don't want mods to participate to the discussion (apparently), I also don't see what good it'll do.

I'm confused what point you're trying to make apart from trying to divert attention of the content in the link Diemen posted.
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #237
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,030
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

That is not true. In fact, I remember getting a PM from YOU about 10 years ago encouraging me to stand my ground on gay marriage (I was a Republican then - I am a Dislike-All-Parties-Party now).

Axver you just got rekt m8
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
This is already allowed. As far as I know there are no rules preventing anyone Right Wing to become a mod.
Awesome - who are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
However, to add a mod to FYM just because he/she is right wing is a ridiculous notion.
Why? If they abuse the role - fire them. What's the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Since you don't want mods to participate to the discussion (apparently), I also don't see what good it'll do.
To clarify - if mods ARE EXPECTED TO participate in the discussion, then a more balanced team of mods is necessary for the health of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I'm confused what point you're trying to make apart from trying to divert attention of the content in the link Diemen posted.
I already addressed that above. I have no clue who this Shaun King is and no way of verifying/discrediting many of his claims. I only have access to public information available on the web. This man makes claims with no sources.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #239
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,021
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I have no way of knowing that.
You're smarter than that. I don't mean to be blunt, but if you can't tell when somebody is posting their personal opinion and when they are moderating a thread, I would suggest working on your reading comprehension.

Quote:
That is not true. In fact, I remember getting a PM from YOU about 10 years ago encouraging me to stand my ground on gay marriage (I was a Republican then - I am a Dislike-All-Parties-Party now). No worries - back then, as an obvious Conservative, I received numerous PMs and emails encouraging me in PRIVATE because of the way users were treated in PUBLIC in this forum.
Let's not drag into this discussion all the stupid shit I said a whole decade ago during my weird religious phase or we'll be here all night. All week if it comes complete with the Axver Liked U2 Too Much Archives.

And let's be honest, "I got lots of PMs!" is never a good defence, no matter how true it sometimes is. I'm not suggesting I doubt you; it's just a poor Internet debating technique.

Quote:
Few is the keyword. The forum is dying. I'm sure some DBA out there can get us the numbers...

I am hardly far-right. Yet, that doesn't matter. In forums like this - what matters is debate and discussion (unless you simply love agreement on a continual basis. Me - I love controversial items. I want to debate - to learn - to change my mind if necessary). That is why I loved this forum a decade ago. Now, with it's half dozen back-patting Liberals, FYM is only exciting when someone like me breaks up the circle-jerk with the POSSIBILITY there MAY be another point of view...
I don't want to drag this too far off-topic, but I don't think the problem is the lack of far-right nutters (I didn't think you were one, though your behaviour in this thread is making me wonder - partly because of the positions you are arguing and partly because of how you are doing so). I think the problem is that this forum is really, really, really Americentric, and US political debate seems to only function at present if it is hyper-polarised. It's not really much of a global politics forum, is it? Even when threads start for events outside the US, there is a habit of it coming back to some US dispute because most posters are from the US. I seem to recall there was a bit more on the global politics front some years ago but they tended to get lost amidst all the US threads and many international posters drifted away - and now that things are a bit quieter, their absence is really obvious.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #240
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,030
Local Time: 05:29 AM
The Aussie thread is a great example. Majority of posting is me, Axver, Vkad, Kieran and Alisaura - we are all left of centre (except for Vlad, who is so far from the centre mentioning it is redundant), and yet we manage to have really interesting, robust debates on a whole range of topics. I wish FYM was more like it
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com