Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baristas having conversations with the customers is not a new concept. But yes, talking about race is quite different and time-consuming than having a little small talk over the bar.

I read a couple posts on reddit from Starbucks employees, and all of them found the most aggravating part to be when an actual conversation was struck up, the other employees in the store had to pick up the slack for the person who was chatting with the customers. Most of the employees who got deeply involved with these conversations seem to be the type who are chatty with the customers anyways, though.

I don't necessarily think this was the worst idea I've ever heard, and I think the hysterics over this are silly and probably coming from the same type of crowd that considered the SOI release to be an NSA-level invasion of privacy. It was just really, really poor execution and not fully thought out, IMO.

Police seem to be on the run with infor cements unrelated to their stops....WTF....ITS 1,2,3 shoot before any question are asked. It's sad enough today with our world the way that it is that we have cops playing God!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Like, yo - if you really thought it could be a bomb, why wouldn't you evacuate the school?

Good news - they're not pressing charges (SURPRISE).

they turned him (last thing they need is a bomb maker in GITMO)

he will now inform on his family and other Mosque attendees

http://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-ahmed-mohameds-clock-it-looks-exactly-bomb-374409

“People at the school thought it might be a bomb, because it looks exactly like a f.....g bomb,” he said, while speaking with panelists George Pataki, Mark Cuban, Jorge Ramos and Chris Matthews. “It’s not the color of his skin. For the last 30 years, it’s been the one culture that has been blowing shit up over and over again.”

Maher went on to say, however, that Ahmed is deserving of an apology from school officials. “They were wrong,” he said. “No doubt about it.” Yet he said that Ahmed’s teacher hadn’t blundered by bringing the clock forward to higher-ups. “So the teacher’s just supposed to see something that looks like a bomb and be, ‘Oh, wait, this might just be my white privilege talking.”

It does look like a bomb more than a clock. The school should have been evacuated, and the kid questioned.

He also deserves an apology for the coverage and probably some of the treatment.

But it was really a stupid thing he did.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Why free Voter IDs aren't enough in Alabama's Black Belt | AL.com

tl;dr - After the Voting Rights Act was ruled unnecessary by the Supreme Court, and after implementation of a strict voter ID law in 2014, and after a 54% increase in the cost of a driver's license, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency recently announced the closure of 31 driver's license bureaus across the state. Every county in Alabama where black citizens make up more than 75% of registered voters has had it's driver's license office closed.

Hat tip to MetaFilter

yeah, i spend a lot of time in alabama now and i heard about this back when it got passed. tennessee also has this same law, although we didn't turn around and close a bunch of dmv locations. it's absolutely insane and infuriating. it's shocking to think this is legal...especially why it's even legal to require an id to vote in the first place. usually the defense i hear is "everywhere else requires it!" yeah but...everywhere else either has compulsory voting, such as much of south america, parts of africa, and australia, or in cases like europe they...actually fucking have public transport to provide people ways to get a voter id. not to mention this voter id law is way less common than people who are for it tend to act like it is — like five freaking countries have some form of a law on the books. jmo

yeah, i spend a lot of time in alabama now and i heard about this back when it got passed. tennessee also has this same law, although we didn't turn around and close a bunch of dmv locations. it's absolutely insane and infuriating. it's shocking to think this is legal...especially why it's even legal to require an id to vote in the first place. usually the defense i hear is "everywhere else requires it!" yeah but...everywhere else either has compulsory voting, such as much of south america, parts of africa, and australia, or in cases like europe they...actually fucking have public transport to provide people ways to get a voter id. not to mention this voter id law is way less common than people who are for it tend to act like it is — like five freaking countries have some form of a law on the books. jmo
Supposedly according to law, all voters in any kind of local, state or federal election must be US citizens in order to vote.

You would be surprised at the vast amount of non US citizens that vote in all sorts of elections with their ID when legally they don't have the right to do so. What happens next? Eliminate their votes? Or count their votes and pretend they are legally entitled, turning a blind eye to the law itself?

Supposedly according to law, all voters in any kind of local, state or federal election must be US citizens in order to vote.

You would be surprised at the vast amount of non US citizens that vote in all sorts of elections with their ID when legally they don't have the right to do so. What happens next? Eliminate their votes? Or count their votes and pretend they are legally entitled, turning a blind eye to the law itself?

Where is your evidence of this vast amount of non registered voters voting?

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1445486029.871776.jpg

Your first study is from the Heritage Foundation, a group that is routinely criticized for flawed studies that are ideologically motivated, and your second one has numerous methodological flaws: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...allenges-affect-study-of-non-citizens-voting/

"A number of academics and commentators have already expressed skepticism about the paper’s assumptions and conclusions, though. In a series of tweets, New York Times columnist Nate Cohn focused his criticism on Richman et al’s use of Cooperative Congressional Election Study data to make inferences about the non-citizen voting population. That critique has some merit, too. The 2008 and 2010 CCES surveyed large opt-in Internet samples constructed by the polling firm YouGov to be nationally representative of the adult citizen population. Consequently, the assumption that non-citizens, who volunteered to take online surveys administered in English about American politics, would somehow be representative of the entire non-citizen population seems tenuous at best.

Perhaps a bigger problem with utilizing CCES data to make claims about the non-citizen voting in the United States is that some respondents might have mistakenly misreported their citizenship status on this survey (e.g. response error). For, as Richman et al. state in their Electoral Studies article, “If most or all of the ‘non-citizens’ who indicated that they voted were in fact citizens who accidentally misstated their citizenship status, then the data would have nothing to contribute concerning the frequency of non-citizen voting.” In fact, any response error in self-reported citizenship status could have substantially altered the authors’ conclusions because they were only able to validate the votes of five respondents who claimed to be non-citizen voters in the 2008 CCES.

It turns out that such response error was common for self-reported non-citizens in the 2010-2012 CCES Panel Study — a survey that re-interviewed 19,533 respondents in 2012 who had currently participated in the 2010 CCES. The first table below, for instance, shows that nearly one-fifth of CCES panelists who said that they were not American citizens in 2012 actually reported being American citizens when they were originally surveyed for the 2010 CCES. Since it’s illogical for non-citizens in 2012 to have been American citizens back in 2010, it appears that a substantial number of self-reported non-citizens inaccurately reported their (non)citizenship status in the CCES surveys.

Even more problematic, misreported citizenship status was most common among respondents who claimed to be non-citizen voters. The second table below shows that 41 percent of self-reported non-citizen voters in the 2012 CCES reported being citizens back in 2010. The table goes on to show that 71 percent of respondents, who said that they were both 2012 non-citizens and 2010 voters, had previously reported being citizens of the United States in the 2010 CCES. With the authors’ extrapolations of the non-citizen voting population based on a small number of validated votes from self-reported non-citizens (N = 5), this high frequency of response error in non-citizenship status raises important doubts about their conclusions.

To be sure, my quick analysis does not at all disprove Richman et al’s conclusion that a large enough number of non-citizens are voting in elections to tip the balance for Democrats in very close races. It does, however, suggest that the CCES is probably not an appropriate data source for testing such claims."

Here is the evidence my dear BVS:

There Is Growing Evidence Noncitizens Are Voting

Oh My: Study Reveals Significant Number of Non-Citizens Vote in US Elections - Guy Benson

There is no need to seek evidence of something that is considered common knowledge.

One is from a tea party think tank, the other is a misinterpretation of a survey, it's right wing commentary of a survey.

Both are fraught with issues and flaws, but none as bad as the last sentence of your post.

So apparently 4 Republican Senators and several mayors were outed by anonymous as being associated with the KKK. Only one has publicly denied it so far...

Do we need to remind you that the Klan was invented by the Democrats in the 1890s after the Democrats (South) loss the Civil War and the Democrats were made to give up their slaves by the Republicans (North)

Do we need to remind you that the Klan was invented by the Democrats in the 1890s after the Democrats (South) loss the Civil War and the Democrats were made to give up their slaves by the Republicans (North)

Yes, I always appreciate having that history lesson repeated in here. I think about once a month should do, unless of course someone here forgets then we should do our best to remind them.

New York Times Describes Robert Dear as “Gentle Loner” https://shar.es/1ci5NG via sharethis

White murderer = gentle loner
Black man = son of a heroin addict

It's just hyperbole folks, nothing to see here.

Back
Top Bottom