Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cameras on police officers is long long long overdue... It would protect the cops just as much as it would protect the public. It's a no brainer.

The only thing is that there has to be outside review of the videos. If these videos stay within a police department then whatever good might have come out of having cameras is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The only thing is that there has to be outside review of the videos. If these videos stay within a police department then whatever good might have come out of having cameras is lost.

I don't think there has to be some new independent arm of every town and city's police department that reviews every hour of every police officer's patrol.

There just has to be a central database where the unedited, time-stamped footage is located and can be pulled when a dispute by either side of a debate is brought up.

There are obvious privacy issues involved. Are the cameras on all the time? Are they turned on and off by the officer? Does the officer lose all rights to privacy? Everything done and said while in uniform could conceivably now be recorded.

But it's clear that it's a necessary step and needs to be figured out, again, for the officer's protection just as much, if not more so, than that of the general public.

B-ooIdgWwAA1Nlx.png

Ron Paul: definitely not racist.

“I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Imagine if that was true today in America.

The leadership void after King’s murder was not replaced by men like him but by “race baiters’ stepping up to the mike and continually stirring division between people.

Recent events have again sparked the charges of rampant racism in America.
The media fuels this fire by going to the “race baiters” for comments instead of voices of reason.

And it boils and it burns and it and others get hurt or killed.

I’m sick of it.

I don’t see this “rampant racism” in my life: co-workers, students, friends, people I come in contact with every day. I don't see it. I don't hear it.

Sure, there are some racists but I believe they are a small minority.

The American people are much better than what some would have us believe.

The following is part of Jason’s Riley editorial in this weeks
Wall Street Journal. He ended with a 1961 quote from MLK on
the black community’s responsible to not condone criminal behavior.

“This past weekend in Chicago, 26 people were shot, including a 16-year-old who died. Yet Al Sharpton is headed not to the Second City but to suburban St. Louis to protest the weekend shooting death of Michael Brown, who police say was killed while resisting arrest.

What happened in Chicago—black people shooting black people—is sadly routine and of secondary concern to civil rights industry operators like Mr. Sharpton, whose agenda is keeping the focus on whites and the supposedly racist “system.” The Chicago shootings don’t advance that agenda, so Mr. Sharpton is taking his talents to St. Louis, where he will put racial solidarity ahead of condemning bad behavior and pretend that our morgues are full of young black men due to miscreant police officers.

The reality is that blacks are 13% of the population and half of all homicide victims—90% of whom are killed by other blacks.”

It is sad that the people the “race mongers” claim to represent are the ones who suffer the most.

Can we try to put what King said into practice. Can we stop the hyperbole?
Can we really start a truthful discussion or will be continue judging and accusing based on the color of our crayons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-wq6SJqjU

The sad part is it's a chant that is sung by many chapters of SAE. SAE is notorious for attracting a "certain" kind of frat boy. It's known as Same Assholes Everywhere, or Sexual Assault Expected. At my campus, they were known as the "racist" frat. Thankfully, their charter was pulled earlier this Academic Year.

But yeah, racism is dead.

This is bad, and of course it has to be my back yard. WTF.

I really wish we would become known for things other than "going postal", federal buildings & domestic terrorism, F5 tornadoes, senators throwing snowballs, hell-Sally fucking Kern, and now this.

I have to wonder to myself have fraternities outlived their usefulness? Surely they can't all be over-privileged racist assholes. I partied with a few of them back in the day, a good friend was a student athlete and we went to several of the frat house parties. Honestly i didn't find them to be as legendary as they thought they were.

I'm going to leave this here as my official "No Comment."

u6m9lmm0kzzynggpotqn_zpsa5aa36e7.gif

My favorite part of the story is that when people of color started to ask critical questions of the senior VP on Twitter who was talking about this campaign, he deleted his Twitter account. Yet he expects baristas to engage in the conversation he won't engage in?

cori, are they forcing you guys to also talk race relations with people? other employees, following people on the street to their homes, whatever.

Even worse - they're making us make citizens arrests if we see racism in action!

My favorite part of the story is that when people of color started to ask critical questions of the senior VP on Twitter who was talking about this campaign, he deleted his Twitter account. Yet he expects baristas to engage in the conversation he won't engage in?

Holy shit, I know. Shockingly, they did not mention that at the shareholders' meeting today.

So if you order a black coffee at Starbucks expect a lecture.

giphy_zpsqqqylxpx.gif

Seriously, though, I have many mixed emotions about this. I mean, call me a Kool-Aid drinker or whatever (OH YEAH!), but I do love that I work for a company that does positive stuff, or even tries to do positive stuff ....

... although holy cow, I don't really know that this is the right way to go about it, for a multitude of reasons.

My emotions, they are mixed. My feels, they are many.

eqrdr63auqzujpveymfo_zps303620e3.gif

Also, I'd like to thank our health care provider's massive data breach yesterday for taking my attention off the "Let's Talk About Race, Baby" thing.

Truth is - in America - white people who talk about "race" are walking on egg shells. Just about anything they say or do will be held against them.

Truth is - in America - white people who talk about "race" are walking on egg shells. Just about anything they say or do will be held against them.

What exactly does this mean? That's a broad general stroke, so white people should shut up and not do a thing?

If you want to avoid a tsunami of negative responses - yes.

I'm not following your logic at all. Why would I expect a "tsunami of negative responses" if I spoke about race if I weren't speaking in a racist tongue?

Starbucks ends writing about race on cups

that was a stupid idea from the start

this next phase has more merit

Despite the early difficulties, Starbucks plans to move forward with "a number of planned Race Together activities in the weeks and months to come," Schultz said in the letter. Among the planned activities are: Three more special sections co-produced with USA TODAY; plans to expand its store footprint in urban communities; and plans to hire 10,000 "opportunity youth" over the next three years, Schultz said.

The insert that was in USA Today was, I thought, very interesting.

I mean, in general it's not the best idea Uncle Howie has ever had, but it might not have gone over like quite the lead balloon had it been rolled out differently. (i.e., not starting with "Hey, we're going to write this on your cups and you have to talk to us!")

Most Starbucks are busy
people just want to get their coffee and get out.

I can't stand it when customers are making small talk with employees and making me wait. WTF is wrong with people. Oh the CEO told them to do it.

“Here’s your macchiato!” wrote writer Daniel Jose Older, tweeting a picture of a white barista. “Let’s discuss the historic disenfranchisement of your people that has allowed me to prosper.”

Baristas having conversations with the customers is not a new concept. But yes, talking about race is quite different and time-consuming than having a little small talk over the bar.

The truth is that anytime someone tries to have an actual real conversation about race, it inevitability becomes racist, because the wrong people are having the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom