Didn't hear about this one.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Good point. As with pretty much any statistic out there regarding social problems, it makes much more sense to analyze by income/poverty levels than by race.
I think I see where you're coming from, but I very much disagree. To address racial issues, I think you absolutely cannot conflate them with socioeconomic inequality. Especially in post-slavery societies like most of the Western hemisphere, which is often difficult to do because for obvious historical reasons race and poverty tend to overlap. But one cannot ignore the fact that a poor black person is more likely to be arrested, incarcerated, physically attacked by the police, or convicted to longer sentences - to cite just a few examples - than a poor white person. Or that middle class black men are less likely to be promoted for a job than his middle class white counterpart. Or that a black waiter is likely to receive a smaller tip in the same restaurant. I mean, does anyone really believe that the same police reaction in Ferguson would happen in a predominantly white lower middle class community in, say, Montana? There are socioeconomic issues and there are racial issues, and they are different, even though they often overlap.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
45:33

Local Time: 01:29 AM
The system break man, child and women into figures: two columns for who is and who ain't niggas

Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Especially in post-slavery societies like most of the Western hemisphere, which is often difficult to do because for obvious historical reasons race and poverty tend to overlap. But one cannot ignore the fact that a poor black person is more likely to be arrested, incarcerated, physically attacked by the police, or convicted to longer sentences - to cite just a few examples - than a poor white person. Or that middle class black men are less likely to be promoted for a job than his middle class white counterpart. Or that a black waiter is likely to receive a smaller tip in the same restaurant. I mean, does anyone really believe that the same police reaction in Ferguson would happen in a predominantly white lower middle class community in, say, Montana? There are socioeconomic issues and there are racial issues, and they are different, even though they often overlap.
Agreed with pretty much all of this - I didn't mean to insinuate that race doesn't play a part in many facets of social life. I was responding specifically to the "black-on-black crime" phrase.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ah I see - my bad. I agree it's a bad phrase indeed.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #36
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Would it be rational to fear all red headed women if robbed by one? Would it be rational to fear all tweens if robbed by one?

Now it may be reactionary, even understandable, but not rational.
I take your point, and agree that it wouldn't be entirely objectively rational. This I can agree with.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #37
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
He is saying racism doesn't exist because white people aren't committing mass executions of blacks.
Actually he is saying that there must be something intrinsically 'different' in black people compared to other races that results in "blacks are 13% of the population and half of all homicide victims—90% of whom are killed by other blacks.”

Funny enough, in the same post he claims he doesn't notice racism in his own surroundings.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
Actually he is saying that there must be something intrinsically 'different' in black people compared to other races that results in "blacks are 13% of the population and half of all homicide victims—90% of whom are killed by other blacks.”

Funny enough, in the same post he claims he doesn't notice racism in his own surroundings.

-I did not say racism does not exists in America. Please name a country free of racism. This thread is about how racism is exaggerated and used so often when an event like the shooting of a young lack man in Ferguson, Missouri occurs.

-It is a terrible that Michael Brown was killed. I can't even imagine how sad his family must be. His death is something that could have been avoided.

-If the deadly force used by the officer was uncalled for, he or she (white or black) should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

-I don't know what happened. I don't know the details.

-This rush to judgment without knowing the facts is wrong.

-I realize there are "bad cops' out there. There are some rouge people everywhere.

-The coffee house I operated in the 90s in my town was located not far from the police station. One Saturday night before midnight I parked my truck by the side entrance by a door to load up the trash. It was a one hour parking zone.

-About thirty minutes later I was called outside. A police officer quickly got in my face tell me I was over parked and he was writing a ticket. When I started to explain his demeanor quickly escalated and it was like he was daring me to move or say anything else. He was trying to get me into an altercation. His charge that my truck had been parked for hours was wrong and I really felt like pushing back. I backed off, took the ticket and moved my truck.

And I guess I am funny, I just don't see this rampant racism in my interactions with people day to day.

When it is exposed and it cause suffering, it should be stamped out.

I just believe it is time we judge people by their character (actions) and
stop putting select groups of people into categories where actions cannot be judged because of skin color.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #39
45:33

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

stop putting select groups of people into categories where actions cannot be judged because of skin color.

A good post, but events like Ferguson show that we haven't reached this point as a society.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #40
Galeonbroad

Quote:
It is about time yes, but how do we get to that point?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #41
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
-The coffee house I operated in the 90s in my town was located not far from the police station. One Saturday night before midnight I parked my truck by the side entrance by a door to load up the trash. It was a one hour parking zone.

-About thirty minutes later I was called outside. A police officer quickly got in my face tell me I was over parked and he was writing a ticket. When I started to explain his demeanor quickly escalated and it was like he was daring me to move or say anything else. He was trying to get me into an altercation. His charge that my truck had been parked for hours was wrong and I really felt like pushing back. I backed off, took the ticket and moved my truck.
Notice how this incident ended in you merely getting a ticket?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

It's about time we stop judging the impact and frequency of racism based on what we see in our everyday lives because our individual bubbles are such a minuscule representation of the issues in this country and this world.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #43
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Notice how this incident ended in you merely getting a ticket?
It did but only because I backed off.

Believe my blood was up at that moment and I was ready to push back
because I knew my truck had not been parked that long. The guy had a
pumped up wild look in his eye, He was pushing me to fight. I almost took his bait.

He was a bad cop.

For all I know, if I had push back he might have shot me.

I can understand how a young person might be in a similar situation
and be pushed into fighting back.

An officer should never act in an aggressive harassing way to prompted
an altercation.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #44
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
It is about time yes, but how do we get to that point?

That is exactly the question I hope we can discuss here
and I hope our society will discuss.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

We had a situation in Green Bay that was under investigation and ultimately dismissed in favor of the cop. No racism involved, just a complete nut job of a cop that's had multiple complaints over the last few years. While racism is definitely a component in the Ferguson case, I think an underlying issue is that there are a lot of over aggressive cops that just shouldn't be in that profession.

http://youtu.be/KDqP-4uxJ9k

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference