Racism: glorified hyperbole in America - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 07-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #271
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
No, obvious math that would work for any major American city with a black male population that is 50% or more.

Or did you just ignore the fact that 96% of Baton Rouge murders in 2012 were by black perpetrators?
Read your sentence:

Quote:
Baton Rouge's black male population alone would make up half of black men in that city and therefore at least half the crime.
The black male population would make up half the black male population.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #272
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper did an article about city murders in 2012. There was a PDF with the police information that others have written about although the PDF itself now seems to be gone. 87 percent of murder victims were black males. 96 percent of the perpetrators of murder, were, drumroll...black.

So yes, my 90% isn't bullshit.
Nice source it's interesting that you use rightwing sources more than the right in here.

'Crime' does not equal 'murder', the claim earlier was 'crime', let's not make this anymore fuzzy than you have.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Typo. Obviously meant half of "men" in the city rather than "black men".

I don't even know why people go ape shit over any of this. I agree with all of you on the fact that this shit just needs to change, just don't think the narrative is always correct given all the circumstances. Higher crime rates mean a greater police presence means a greater chance of police caused homicides.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Nice source it's interesting that you use rightwing sources more than the right in here. .
That's the page that led me to the newspaper. I copied and pasted the wrong link.

Here's the Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper article:

EBR 2012 Homicides: 83 | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #275
Blue Crack Distributor

Your stats are in most cases accurate, and I don't think anyone argues that the crime rates in the black community are higher than other demographics.

But to look at it strictly in terms of demographics would be a huge mistake, something that the self proclaimed progressive champion of the world would know.

It's a poverty issue, not a black issue. Skin color has no bearing over your propensity to commit crime whatsoever. Centuries of socioeconomic policies aimed at keeping you down because of your skin color, on the other hand...
Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Poverty has a higher correlation with crime than race. That's certainly true.

Is there a cultural aspect among members of the black community that make them more likely to commit crimes? Probably given that when you adjust for factor such as poverty you still end up with more black crime. But that's not news and key members of the black community have talked about it for years.

Ending systemic poverty is the solution to a great deal of our problems. Most of it, honestly.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Poverty has a higher correlation with crime than race. That's certainly true.

Is there a cultural aspect among members of the black community that make them more likely to commit crimes? Probably given that when you adjust for factor such as poverty you still end up with more black crime. But that's not news and key members of the black community have talked about it for years.

Ending systemic poverty is the solution to a great deal of our problems. Most of it, honestly.
I agree with the general point that a focus on poverty is real important. The real tragedy is that Black people in the United States are massively disproportionately stuck in a cycle of economic misery that was, yes, started by centuries of abuse from privileged White people.

I haven't heard of studies controlling for economic well-being that show more crime from Blacks in the US. Could you share? It would certainly surprise me if that were true but I'd like to see what you have.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Poverty & Crime - Fundamental Finance

This is a good example. The paper itself mostly makes the contention that poverty has a very high correlation related to crime, but as you can see from some of the data there's still a high relationship between being black and committing crimes.

The amount of poor white Americans, for example, completely overwhelms the amount of poor black ones in sheer numbers yet the group of poor black Americans likely is involved with far more crimes if we're just taking a look at the amount currently in prison.

Now, we could go further into the overall effects of systemic racism, blah blah blah. No doubt that those have an immeasurable impact. There's been similar studies beyond crime such as education that show black students performing worse even when you take into account economic disparity, etc. There's always going to be cultural and societal racism forces at play. Otherwise, are we just going to say that Asians are inherently smarter than everyone else because they perform way better in school?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Crazy how once social media kicked off, we got a bunch of frequent visual evidence of the systemic racism in policing that black people had been talking about for decades.

Crazier still how black people are definitely making it all up and ignoring their culture of crime!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #280
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
but as you can see from some of the data there's still a high relationship between being black and committing crimes.
Committing? Or getting arrested and convicted?

White teenagers have a much smaller conviction rate than black teenagers when it comes to marijuana possession. It's not even close, yet the numbers are almost even when it comes to both admitting use.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
This is the key point. Crime rates are a function of enforcement. People seem to forget this very frequently.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

White teenagers have a much smaller conviction rate than black teenagers when it comes to marijuana possession. It's not even close, yet the numbers are almost even when it comes to both admitting use.

I agree with you on drug crimes, but could you really make this argument on violent crimes?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Depends on how you define "violent." How many sexual assaults go unreported or uninvestigated?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Depends on how you define "violent." How many sexual assaults go unreported or uninvestigated?

This is a really good point, and somewhere where our horrific lack of data makes it hard to reach good conclusions, sadly.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #285
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I agree with you on drug crimes, but could you really make this argument on violent crimes?

Yes, white men get away with domestic abuse, rape, and assault more than someone of color.