Racism: glorified hyperbole in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Committing? Or getting arrested and convicted?

White teenagers have a much smaller conviction rate than black teenagers when it comes to marijuana possession. It's not even close, yet the numbers are almost even when it comes to both admitting use.

Possibly relevant..

what the disparity in arrests/convictions between white users of cocaine, and crack.

Your country is so deeply, deeply fucked up.

Uh, and the often not very good to probably horrific treatment (yes, I know there have been improvements) you Aussies have given to your 40,000 year old continium of communities of indigenous people?

Yes, your comment is also said in the agony of the situation unfolding ... you folks aren't much better than us in this aspect.

i'm at a loss right now. how do we make our police better? how do we make us all safer? how do we address structural racism that often ends with a dead black man?

There was very good interview by (I think ) Brian Lerher of WNYC-AM (public radio) - Brain Lerhwr Show either this part Thurs or Fri with an ex-policeman ( maybe commander or a commissioner - sorry I vwas extra tired) of some NW State talking about the better policing issue.

As for structural racism unless a miracle happens, brick by brick, beam by beam. :sigh:

[/I]
When there's a mass shooting, we hear people say "if only they were carrying".

But when an officer shoots a civilian we hear people say "well he shouldn't be carrying".

When a man is shot by an officer we get a full list of his previous record.

When a college student rapes an unconscious woman, we hear about his past accomplishments.

:hmm:

While not the thread specific issue...the overall aspect of violence perpetrated on people, yeah, :hmm: indeed. :angry:

Oh, poor, poor guy... his life is ruined. Colorful metaphors to follow.
And his fathers take on his son crime? scream:

Last edited:
Obama not wasting a second to continue dividing and creating turmoil rushes to his mic to chime in.

Aaaerrrgggggggggggghh,.......

President Obama is one of the most trying to bring people together Presidents there has been, and constantly looks looks for compromises (which I sometimes fault him for)!

Unless , god/life forbid, he talks in somne of the most mild language possible about racism in America, and especially seeming racism in certain police officers, still paltry training in this area, or the structural racism in America.

Imagine, dear Islanders, if he really got angry!
Push Angry Black Man :panic: Button! :|

Last edited:
that #alllivesmatters is called racists shows bias thinking,
bias thinking is akin to racism, homophobia, does each man become the thing he hates?

No, it doesn't .

IF all lives truely mattered equally , then there wouldn't be the need for BLM, and other groups actioning for first class citizenship in the USA.

But there are people who continue to see "the other" as lesser consciously, willfully ignorantly, or as fish swimming in water unconsciously.

Uh, and the often not very good to probably horrific treatment (yes, I know there have been improvements) you Aussies have given to your 40,000 year old continium of communities of indigenous people?

Yes, your comment is also said in the agony of the situation unfolding ... you folks aren't much better than us in this aspect.

Odd post. Just about all the Australian-based regulars are well aware of the horrors inflicted upon the indigenous people over several centuries, not to mention other ongoing problems in this country.

Can I add a square.?

More blacks die from natural causes than from police, and no one ever says anything about that.

Actually some people have talked about.

Some major causes can be poorer diet (due to poverty, or habit, and often poorer quality fruit and vegetables in poor neighborhood supermarkets), poverty, and as new studies coming to light about doctors treating black people differently than whites in not just the overt racist actions but in certain assumptions, expectations, AND the facts of overt, subtler, and micro aggressions racism over decades and decades.... stressed body and mind more ! Excessive stress often leads to health issues

Last edited:
Odd post. Just about all the Australian-based regulars are well aware of the horrors inflicted upon the indigenous people over several centuries, not to mention other ongoing problems in this country.

Well then I don't know their dedicated Straya thread well enough to know that. Take a rare look here and there and have not caught those discussions.

Only gone with what I know.

Apologises, cobl. :wave:

Last edited:
Anyone else tired of hearing about Chicago as the standard comeback?

Yes. Especially since a lot of the people who go, "Yeah, but, but...Chicago! Black on black crime! They do it, too!" just do so as a way of trying to deflect from a important discussion about the relationship between cops and black people. They don't seem to bring up or care about the problems in that city any other time beyond that.

And a lot of the politicians and pundits who bring up Chicago refuse to support or offer up a lot of solutions that might actually help with some of the reasons for the violence in that city (fixing the low-income/poverty issues, rebuilding rundown parts of the city, restricting access to guns, etc.).

If these people are as concerned about Chicago as they claim to be, they should put their money where their mouths are and actually do something about the problems there.

Last edited:
memphis had a huge blm protest last night. protestors shut down the i-40 bridge (the main way to get into the city from arkansas — there is another bridge, but if you're already on i-40, you're screwed) and of course the back-up caused the streets downtown to come to a standstill.

the interim police director (it is worth noting he is black) was dignified and walked up the bridge and led the protestors down, arm-in-arm. after they were led off the bridge, some took the protest to beale street. meanwhile, the county and city mayors were completely absent.

this coming off the heels of two cops making the disgusting social media post (they posted a picture of a gun aimed at an emoji of a black child saying they came across it on another cop's snapchat and didn't know how to take it...wtf).

and then the racist crap i saw people posting in response to the protest, complaining how local news had the gall to cover this and they were missing shows like big brother and suggesting "helpful" ways to end the protest, such as pushing them off the bridge. geez.

this coming off the heels of two cops making the disgusting social media post (they posted a picture of a gun aimed at an emoji of a black child saying they came across it on another cop's snapchat and didn't know how to take it...wtf).

Charming :|.

and then the racist crap i saw people posting in response to the protest, complaining how local news had the gall to cover this and they were missing shows like big brother and suggesting "helpful" ways to end the protest, such as pushing them off the bridge. geez.

:rolleyes:

Shit like that is why we'll never be able to have a legit conversation about race in this country.

Anyone else tired of hearing about Chicago as the standard comeback?

Yes, especially I live there and work on the South Side, which is often and wrongly presented as the epitome of lawlessness. I don't think Chicago is even in the top 15 US cities for violent crime per capita.

And a lot of the politicians and pundits who bring up Chicago refuse to support or offer up a lot of solutions that might actually help with some of the reasons for the violence in that city (fixing the low-income/poverty issues, rebuilding rundown parts of the city, restricting access to guns, etc.)

A major part of the gun problem in Chicago is Indiana's lax regulations, which make it incredibly easy to filter guns into the South Side.

Yeah, so I've heard. I don't know what the gun laws are in other states (I'd have to look up what our laws here in Iowa are), but I suspect, or at least, wouldn't be surprised to learn, the laws aren't always as strict in some of those areas, either.

I seem to remember somebody here mentioned once having a debate with someone who refused to believe that people sneaking guns across state lines was a thing that happened.

Thank you , moonlit and KR for your Memphis report...

And Fucking Rudy Bullyani (Guillani) !

let me get the quote...

Basically he called the BLM "racist" and "Un-American" :scream:

Sorry I am very emotional right now and well I come fromy from a very expressive Greek-American extended family :D A politically involveded e at that. Part of my family being very liberal/progressive, mine among them.
I was in my teens during The 60's e in NYC.[/U] I've been involved in learbing about, understanding and empathizing with black peoples experiences class-wise, shades of skin color wise, North & South wis.

See I was binge watching DVR'd TV shows at my sibs while they were away over 9 days from the ?day before the first shooting...was staying late...running back and forth between houses and everything elsewhere.l

And my TV was off more than usual. So I was just hearing/seeng glimpses of the news by radio at home, on the TV when my finger slipped from the ff Button to the live button catching the news and jumping back into the DVR. Glimpsing articles on WP tablet subscription, too.
Then catching the static images on my Kindle Fire's trending news topics. I did catch the video for the guy beaten down on the ground.

At first I didn't even realize that 2 killings had happened! Anyway... A bit more ....

This morning I suddenly saw a particular photo... and I just burst out sobbing.

I've never hot linked a photo to I-land here but I am going to try now. Let's see...

Last edited:
I don't think I can on my tablet anyway...

Describing it for those that may not have seen it.

On the left side in background Baton Rouge police in full on riot gear.
On center to right background a green median with tall signs, and trees people watching.

Foreground Center
To the right center two cops in the massive riot gear cuffing - center left
a quiet, dignified slenderish young black woman.

An astonishing, dignified, terrifying photo.

Back
Top Bottom