Racism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm.

Okay, how do I explain this so you'll understand?

It's kinda like this: You can complain all you want about your own family, but just let somebody else start talking about your mom or your sister and it's a whole different story.

I had a white teacher in 8th grade who said exactly the same thing Chris Rock did. "I don't mind black people, but I hate niggers" and his logic was essentially the same in terms of explaining what he meant by it. I was horrified by his blatant racism.

On the other hand, I laughed out loud at the Chris Rock video you posted. The difference is simply this--he had the right to say what he did, and my 8th grade teacher didn't. Are their problems going on black culture today? Most certainly. Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, and many others have spoken to it--and granted there are some blacks who take offense to them telling it straight, but the bottom line, is THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT. You and my 8th grade teacher don't. This is THEIR community, their culture, their people. The things Rock was talking about affect blacks and African American culture far more than they will ever affect you. They're not just mad about it, they're sad about. They care, in a way that the white person who expresses these kinds of sentiments can't possibly care.

I work in a predominantly African American school and the things that so many of these kids, especially the young men have to deal with just breaks my heart. You have no idea. . .

So. This Chris Rock video can't be your "racism" whatever that means. It's not your business. You don't have the right to laugh at it anymore than I have the right to make fun of your family.

What about when they all applauded when he said those things about white people?

Classic example of this in my local news today. An Indian student at university here is making allegations of racism, because white students allegedly get marked higher and Tutors make racist remarks. Now.....how could this individual possibly know what grade other students work deserves? Sounds like they arent getting their own way, so play the they old Racsit card!

The use of "they" is a bit troubling. I looked up that story online. It looks like this is a doctoral student, and it's still under investigation. It appears the complaint was made 5 months ago, but the university still hasn't concluded it. As far as grades in general go, one knows when one is being given lower grades than deserved.

just to clarify something...my use of "they" was in refference to he/she, as i was unsure to the gender of the person in question. But some people like to nit pick and make an issue where there really isnt one!

I find your posts to be suspicious. You accuse without a whole lot of evidence on your side as well, so you are just as bad as the example you are using.
Tell me oh mind reader...how would you know what access to information i have. you are assuming! This person who made the allegation first reported the matter to some Indian Newspaper and not the Establishment. Why? Why not go straight to the top? Im pretty sure if it was me...and was true...I would be creating hell IN the actual University, and not from 1000's of miles away, via a newspaper!

You use colleges and music awards as evidence of racism without any sense history or real facts.

Here you go again with your wide of the mark statements. The fact of the matter is...if there were Music of White Origin awards there would be a whole lot of racist accusations flying. thats a fact whether you accept it or not!

Arguably in Austria there is more racism than in the U.S. Just recently, an immigrant died in hunger strike in prison. The government has made immigration laws harder again.. with support by a majority of Austrians, I dare say.

Unfortunately, at times I am really ashamed of my country.

Arguably in Austria there is more racism than in the U.S. Just recently, an immigrant died in hunger strike in prison. The government has made immigration laws harder again.. with support by a majority of Austrians, I dare say.

Unfortunately, at times I am really ashamed of my country.

Making immigration harder does not constitute racism or discrimination.

I can assure you there is far mor imigration/migration in the UK than Austria!

I am of the opinion there has to be a cap on imigration in the UK because public services are overstretched as it is. And this is where all the bad feeling originates from. Australia has the right idea....only accept people who have money to invest in the country

Making immigration harder does not constitute racism or discrimination.

I can assure you there is far mor imigration/migration in the UK than Austria!

I am of the opinion there has to be a cap on imigration in the UK because public services are overstretched as it is. And this is where all the bad feeling originates from. Australia has the right idea....only accept people who have money to invest in the country

It does, when you make immigration dependent on one´s nation or skin.

With the law as it is Austria breaches the declaration of human rights: many NGOs, including Amnesty International, have been critisizing this.

in German:
Amnesty International Österreich: Fremdenrechtspaket 2009

in English:
Racial discrimination in the Austrian Justice system

Not to mention the EU immigration law - the EU by all means has the possibility to stop tragedies: hunderds of Africans die on their way to Europe in boats every year because they see no other way of illegal immigration.

just to clarify something...my use of "they" was in refference to he/she, as i was unsure to the gender of the person in question. But some people like to nit pick and make an issue where there really isnt one!

Ok - it was a "she". By the way, regarding the facts of the case:

According to The Scotsman, she lodged a complaint of racial discrimination with the university authorities after she failed her exams. She also lodged a formal complaint with the Indian High Commission in London.

She originally made the complaints in summer, but details of her allegations were only made public yesterday after being published in a Bangalore newspaper.

A spokeswoman for Aberdeen University said: "The university can confirm it has received a complaint of racial discrimination from a student. This is currently under investigation in line with the university's policy on student complaints. We hope to conclude this matter promptly.

HA!! You cant be serious with this final statement

Okay, perhaps that was a bit of an overstatement. Let me rephrase:

"You don't have the right to make fun of "niggers" anymore than I have a right to make fun of your family."

Better?

(Cuz, granted Chris Rock is pretty funny. I couldn't fault you for laughing, regardless of your skin color. Making the joke is a different story.)

you made sense to me.

that's how i feel about "faggot."

I thought about you when I posted that. I know there are certain topics for you where it's hard to keep a cool head. This the one that's hard for me.

Okay, perhaps that was a bit of an overstatement. Let me rephrase:

"You don't have the right to make fun of "niggers" anymore than I have a right to make fun of your family."

Better?

(Cuz, granted Chris Rock is pretty funny. I couldn't fault you for laughing, regardless of your skin color. Making the joke is a different story.)

Ya, thats a little different. Because that shit is funny and I'm sure Chris doesnt mind us white folk laughing along :)

Dave Chappelle made a funny comment about the very thing you're talking about. I'll see if i cant find it

What about when they all applauded when he said those things about white people?

Again, something that is very obvious in my mind, but hard to explain.

A lot of the rules about what's acceptable in terms of race have to do with who has the power and who does not. It explains things like why it's okay to have Black Music awards but not White Music awards.
I tend to feel that those that can't see the difference are being deliberately obtuse or taking an overly legalistic, simplistic approach to the very complex racial issues in this country. I think most people understand that a white comedian has less room to make jokes about blacks without causing offense, than the reverse. Explaining why that is so, is harder. I will give it some more thought and return to this topic when I have some time.

But I hate you and you're white.

But you don't hate me BECAUSE I'm white, big difference... Maybe Diamond can explain it to you.

Tell me oh mind reader...how would you know what access to information i have. you are assuming! This person who made the allegation first reported the matter to some Indian Newspaper and not the Establishment. Why? Why not go straight to the top? Im pretty sure if it was me...and was true...I would be creating hell IN the actual University, and not from 1000's of miles away, via a newspaper!

Your facts are wrong. :shrug: But you sure wanted to believe them didn't you?

Here you go again with your wide of the mark statements. The fact of the matter is...if there were Music of White Origin awards there would be a whole lot of racist accusations flying. thats a fact whether you accept it or not!

There is it's called the Country Music Awards :lol:

You are ignoring history, that's a fact whether you accept it or not. Women's firsts, women's groups, black firsts, black groups are going to be celebrated because they've been denied so many rights in the past. The day you look at college acceptance numbers and they are not skewed tremendously then maybe you would have a point.

A lot of the rules about what's acceptable in terms of race have to do with who has the power and who does not. It explains things like why it's okay to have Black Music awards but not White Music awards.

That is such a cop out. Black people making white jokes and black people having their own music awards are completely different issues. Sure, things like black music awards are probably necessary because white people do own a majority of the money and power in the entertainment industry. So we get things like black music awards to give them proper representation and recognition. fair enough. But to say that 'oh, white people run the country so blacks can make fun of whites, but not vice versa' is complete bullshit. I'd be lying if I said it didnt offend me slightly to hear the people all clapping at Chris Rock's remarks. Not enough to comment on it had it not been for this thread, but I find it incredibly hypocritical. What a piss poor excuse for a double standard

I tend to feel that those that can't see the difference are being deliberately obtuse or taking an overly legalistic, simplistic approach to the very complex racial issues in this country. I think most people understand that a white comedian has less room to make jokes about blacks without causing offense, than the reverse. Explaining why that is so, is harder. I will give it some more thought and return to this topic when I have some time.

i think i agree with you, and here's an example where it works one way, and not the other:

YouTube - Duece Poppi - My White Friends ( Directors Cut ) *Official Video*

the joke is that it is taking the hackneyed concept of "some of my best friends are black" (ergo, "i am not a racist") concept and twisting it on it's head. it's filled with white stereotypes, and it *is* fairly sexist, but since it's lampooning the concept of white women being powerless in the presence of the black phallus, it seems to work.

But you don't hate me BECAUSE I'm white, big difference... Maybe Diamond can explain it to you.

I don't hate anyone because of their color, but there are people of color I hate based on their actions. I don't think anyone can explain it to you.

Back
Top Bottom