Racism - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I don't hate anyone because of their color, but there are people of color I hate based on their actions. I don't think anyone can explain it to you.

you like black people fine, you just hate n*ggers.

you explained it well.

i'm sure you're fine with women, jews, gays, latinos, and asians.

it's just too bad when bitches, kikes, faggots, spics, and slopes have to ruin it with their behavior.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #92
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
I don't hate anyone because of their color, but there are people of color I hate based on their actions. I don't think anyone can explain it to you.
Hate aside, judging individuals based on actions is fine, but this forum knows from previous posts that you HAVE gone beyond that. We have seen you judge "cultures" as a whole and done it based on race. Your posts speak for themselves, that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
This is where things get really tricky. . .

First let me say that while agree that not everyone is a racist, I would argue that everyone has moments of racism. I know I have.

Often times when people get really pissed off, they fall back on race as a convenient way to dismiss or denigrate the people they are mad it. I don't know that this means that that person is "closet racist"--it does mean that we tend to fall into racist attitudes when we are angry. At least that's what happens with me. I really noticed this during my years living overseas. I found the longer I lived with the various cultures represented there, ironically, the more inclined I was to fall back on racism/negative stereotypes when frustrated or annoyed. When I first moved there, I tended to feel that I didn't know or understand the culture so I was more aware. I remember listening to a long time ex-pat at a dinner party talking about the locals and I thought he sounded so colonial. But after awhile of of living there you begin to think you "know" and that you've "figured the culture out" and you see a few things pop up repeatedly and pretty soon that's the way "they all are." After awhile I imagine there were times when I sounded quite the colonialist myself. And when mad or frustrated thoughts like "These damn [insert ethnic/cultural group here], they always. . ." would slip out.

Maybe I'm unusual in that regard, but I don't think so. I happen to think the best way to deal with those tendencies is to deal with them head-on rather than trying to deny to myself that they are there, and also to forbid myself from airing those kinds of thoughts--just reminding myself internally "no, they aren't ALL like that. You could name half a dozen people you know well who don't fit the stereotype you're about to employ."

So I'm skeptical of people who declare "I'm not racist." I tend to think racialized thinking/racism/stereotypes--whatever--is part of human nature, but one that shouldn't just be accepted resignedly. It can be overcome but it takes awareness and effort.

Believe it or not, though, I generally haven't had a lot of struggles with this in regards to white people. (Maybe it's because my wife, quite a few relatives on my moms side of the family, and many of my closest friends are white? I dunno. . . )
Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

you explained it well.

it's just too bad when bitches, kikes, faggots, spics, and slopes have to ruin it with their behavior.
Exactly. When a person is a jerk, that doesn't make it okay to use racist terminolgoy to describe them, IMO. Chris Rock's hilarious monologue notwithstanding.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #95
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Hate aside, judging individuals based on actions is fine, but this forum knows from previous posts that you HAVE gone beyond that. We have seen you judge "cultures" as a whole and done it based on race. Your posts speak for themselves, that's all I'm saying.
I didn't judge an entire culture, I judged a criminal culture.

Quote:

you explained it well.

Close but you left out the white trash. Of course it's more PC to judge whites by their color.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Close but you left out the white trash. Of course it's more PC to judge whites by their color.

that's an economic distinction within whiteness, though, it's not something that ever blankets an entire race like n*gger or spic.

keep trying, though. eventually you'll stick it to those no-fun liberals.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
that's an economic distinction within whiteness, though, it's not something that ever blankets an entire race like n*gger or spic.

keep trying, though. eventually you'll stick it to those no-fun liberals.
not to stick up for any of HyperU2's previous comments on race (because I dont know what they were), but I think you're missing the point of the Chris Rock video. He's using the word nigger in the same way that you want to use white trash. To label a certain segment of a racial population. I realize there is a whole lot more history in regards to the word nigger than to the phrase white trash, but I think for HyperU2 to identify with hating a certain, problem causing segment of the black population is no different than an English person saying they hate chavs.

for example, I love white people, but I hate Juggalos... for real. I cant fucking stand them
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I didn't judge an entire culture, I judged a criminal culture.
You should look back on that post sometime, nowhere did it state anything about criminal culture...
Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
not to stick up for any of HyperU2's previous comments on race (because I dont know what they were), but I think you're missing the point of the Chris Rock video. He's using the word nigger in the same way that you want to use white trash. To label a certain segment of a racial population. I realize there is a whole lot more history in regards to the word nigger than to the phrase white trash, but I think for HyperU2 to identify with hating a certain, problem causing segment of the black population is no different than an English person saying they hate chavs.

but as sean has noted, there's a historical context that cannot be ignored whenever a white person advocates hating n*ggers. the two words are not interchangeable, they do not have similar histories.

who says what does matter.

whenever i hang out with older gay men -- and i have a great friend who's well into his 40s and he has friends that age and older -- they throw around the term "fag" all the time. it's fine because, shock, they're all gay. there's no history of the word "fag" being spoken by an (out) gay man and then followed up with a baseball bat to the head or being tied to a fence in Laramie, WY.

i work with a whole bunch of women on a popular reality show that's about a whole group of women. and these women call each other and the women on the show "bitch" all the time. to the point where i'm actually made a bit uncomfortable. do i, as a man, ever use the word "bitch" in a gender specific context? no. never.

it's just a different thing.

i was at an Oktoberfest party last night where a German guy (citizen) had a few and pretty much quoted the Chris Rock video about black people vs. n*ggers. he said he agreed with it and said the N-word several times.

the party stopped dead and everyone tried to find another subject.

the word is that poisonous, and it does matter who says it, and to whom.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #100
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Again, something that is very obvious in my mind, but hard to explain.

A lot of the rules about what's acceptable in terms of race have to do with who has the power and who does not. It explains things like why it's okay to have Black Music awards but not White Music awards.
I tend to feel that those that can't see the difference are being deliberately obtuse or taking an overly legalistic, simplistic approach to the very complex racial issues in this country. I think most people understand that a white comedian has less room to make jokes about blacks without causing offense, than the reverse. Explaining why that is so, is harder. I will give it some more thought and return to this topic when I have some time.
Don't know why, but I've also considered "black" a group similar to Latino, Italian, Irish, Asian etc - fairly broad groups, but small enough to have commonalities. "White" seems to be a much broader term that doesn't have a real historical, ethnic or sociological significance tied to it - it's kinda a European catch-all.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #101
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
He's using the word nigger in the same way that you want to use white trash. To label a certain segment of a racial population.
But unmistakably in a context of invoking a sense of collective responsibility for, and concern about, intra-community problems--as Rock himself says right at the beginning of that brief lampooning of 'broke-ass white people' you were singling out, "But we can't give a fuck about them--we just gotta do our own thing." Think of how many times in that clip he says, "I'm so damn tired of this shit...what the fuck is going on?" That's comically rhetorical, yes, but also dead serious. How often do you think you'll hear Jeff Foxworthy or Ron White going beyond laughing about 'rednecks' to actually appealing to a collective white sense of responsibility for their comic target's social ills? They don't have to, because white people aren't in the position of having to prove to anyone that we aren't typified as a group by criminals and the permanent underclass. The very term "white trash" implies that's it's taken for granted that the 'non-disposable,' i.e. normal, variety of white person is reliably a fine, upstanding sort. Rock's contempt, if that's really the right word, for "niggers" isn't at all the easily afforded variety--the joke sticks in the throat, and that's precisely what charges it up and therefore makes it so funny, in the way that only something which carries these kinds of risks to the one making the joke (and their primary audience) can be.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #102
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Thank you Yolland, I'm a little perplexed as to how some don't just automatically understand this, but thanks for articulating it so well.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Let's keep in mind that if you see 5 white men in suits and ties,
and 5 black men in street clothes, athletic type gear,
we ALL know which ones are likely to pose a threat to our OWN well being and other decent members of society.

(the serial killers dressed for THEIR court appearances
or the surgeons dressed for the charity basketball fundraiser for the orphanage?)
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #104
War Child

I'd fear the whites no matter what, most killings occur with the victim/murderer being of the same race. Even the most dangerous ghetto nigger isn't a threat to me, they're a threat to perceptions of the black race, which is why I don't like em.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Interesting point on this "nigger" as a cultural thing. I worked in public schools last year where 96 percent of the student population was African American. A parent came in talking about her son. He was a handful and was suspended for punching and choking another student. Her comment to the teacher, social worker and a couple other employees was, "I don't know what's wrong with that nigger." Then she walked away.

Here's the interesting point. The boy's teacher said, "Ok, you all heard her say that right?" To which the social worker replied in a non-nonchalant tone, "Oh, it's a cultural thing."

Now, the principal was in the room but missed this above conversation. She turns to everyone and says, "Did you all hear that?" To which the social worker replied with her earlier comment again. Things got heated. See, the principal of that school is also African-American and she went off on this social worker. She stated that she grew up in the same setting most of the families of this school are in and the use of that word is not something in her families "culture."

Now, I want to clarify something. You maybe noticed I used African-American. That is because she had mentioned that "African-American" was what she preferred. I have a dear dear friend who I used to work with during the 3rd shift. We had a LOT of great talks on this exact topic. In one of these discussions, the conversation lead to me asking something along the lines of, "so when you think of yourself what do you prefer people call you? An African American woman? Or a black woman?" She told me that with some people, she was ok them calling her a black woman. Others however, she would never allow to do so. I found that interesting. However, she did also say she preferred the word "beautiful" before either of her answers.