Racism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a difference between a sense of guilt and a sense of responsibility to right something.

you're missing the forest for the trees.

comparatively, my family are relatively new to the United States. they all immigrated in the early part of the 20th century (save for my mother's father's father's side). there were none of us over here during slavery, and my mother's side were Irish Catholic and they landed in NYC.

but that doesn't mean that, by virtue of being white, they were able to better maximize whatever opportunities than they would have been able to had they been the descendants of slaves. there's little question that the legacy of slavery continues today, in a generalized form and in the shape of now illegal but still resonant institutionalized discrimination (housing, schooling, education) that affects generation after generation. it's not *my* fault, not at all, but i'd be wrong if i felt that i was distinct and apart from this historical legacy simply because my family didn't directly own slaves.

Well, I guess it's a distinction between 'hard' forms of discrimination, such as legalised discrimination, e.g, in regard to segregated schooling, and 'soft' forms of discrimination, whereby black people might find it more difficult in the job market if some of the recruiters are racist.

Can you give some examples of the latter, i.e., 'soft' forms of discrimination?

We can advocate for reducing soft forms of discrimination by introducing further 'equal opportunity' programs and the like, but let's not forget that some black people and other minorities find these patronising.

What about white Canadians? Should I be carrying some white man's guilt?

How did we get on the subject of white man's guilt? I've never argued that anyone should be feeling guilty. All I've ever said is that white people making ****** jokes or using the word itself is inappropirate?

this was the ironic point.

Ok. But I doubt if the German would have used an epithet regarding Jewish people in his rant if he was quoting a Jewish comedian. My point is that different nations have different sensitivities. The 'N' word is an offensive term in all countries, but outside of the US there isn't necessarily the specific cultural context, it's just one of numerous offensive epithets that different races use about other races.

Perhaps I am taking this comment out of context, but it seems to me that there is occasionally crime everywhere.... I lived in a small, dutch city and guess what. Someone down the street...a Caucasian male who had a full time job, went to church and contributed to society...had a meth lab in his basement.

Or here in Michigan, there are crimes committed in both the "ghetto" as it may be considered...but just blocks away, there is an upper class neighborhood and guess what...white people do things there too! :ohmy:

I apologize if I am missing the point of this comment. If so, you can explain to me what you mean.

My sister (who is quite left wing) went to Amsterdam (in the Netherlands, not the one in New York state) a few years ago with a group of her friends, when she came back I asked her how it went and she said fine, except for the fact that they were mugged at gunpoint. I will openly admit that I asked straight out if the mugger was black. And she rather grudgingly confirmed that this was indeed the case.

HyperU2 is clearly trying to provoke and I don't agree with his posts in the thread, but its for reasons like the above anecdote that I find it hard to completely dismiss what he's saying.

( PS: Now here's a question. Why did I ask if the mugger was black? )

I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.

I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.

I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I enjoy your posts a lot, and count them among the most intelligent, balanced and thoughtful in FYM. Take care, I hope your sense of comfort here returns, and that your real life stress resolves very soon.

I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I enjoy your posts a lot, and count them among the most intelligent, balanced and thoughtful in FYM. Take care, I hope your sense of comfort here returns, and that your real life stress resolves very soon.

Ditto this. Take care of yourself, Sean. :)

Hey dude, havent really talked to you before, but I hope you get stuff straightened out. Take care

Take care of yourself Sean. You bring a lot to this forum, and it (and we) will miss you.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about FYM now, but I do hope you would return someday. I like your posts a lot, and I hope everything works out for you in real life. Take care.

That sucks, sean. Sorry to hear it. Good luck, and can't say I blame you.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point.

Perfectly understandable. I've stepped away a few times when I found myself taking things too personal.

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one

In Holland, i doubt if even one in 10 people are black.

That wasn't my point. When he used his anecdote he assumed the person was black, but when we break down the human race by skin color we really for the most part categorize people as white, brown, or black... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.

That wasn't my point. When he used his anecdote he assumed the person was black, but when we break down the human race by skin color we really for the most part categorize people as white, brown, or black... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.

Dont forget our yellow friends

The fault in his thinking is implying or suggesting that race played any part in the crime.

It was a not a black person that did the crime,
it was a person with criminal intend that did the crime

In Holland, i doubt if even one in 10 people are black.

Indeed. So, why was my first question, 'was it a black dude that mugged you'? (given the manner of the mugging, and that it was carried out in Amsterdam specifically)

The fault in his thinking is implying or suggesting that race played any part in the crime.

This does not necessarily follow.

BVS said:
... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.

Statistics are not your strong point.

Dont forget our yellow friends
A pretty racist term in itself since the color doesn't make since. Studies have shown that eyewitnesses in crime have usually described Asians as either white or brown.

It was a not a black person that did the crime,
it was a person with criminal intend that did the crime

True.

Statistics are not your strong point.

You missed my point, once again. And statistics that deal with "color" are pretty weak when they don't include other factors.

A pretty racist term in itself since the color doesnt make sense

maybe you should inform my asian friend instead of making that distinctions yourself....

Why is it okay to describe black people as black when they arent actually black and white people as white when they arent really white? Seems like you were pretty quick to describe those people in those terms

maybe you should inform my asian friend instead of making that distinctions yourself....
Interesting, I've never met an Asian that referred to themselves as "yellow".

Why is it okay to describe black people as black when they arent actually black and white people as white when they arent really white? Seems like you were pretty quick to describe those people in those terms

Well obviously none of the skin colors really make all that much sense, but I have found that most Asians are pretty insulted when they are described as yellow, especially given the double meaning of "cowardly".

not one of my asian friends has a problem with being referred to as yellow :shrug: I mean, its not the same as if you'd say "the black guy" or "the white guy", because its much easier to say "the asian guy". But I can honestly say it doesnt offend any of them.
and you could say that black has a double meaning of being "evil".

not one of my asian friends has a problem with being referred to as yellow :shrug: I mean, its not the same as if you'd say "the black guy" or "the white guy", because its much easier to say "the asian guy". But I can honestly say it doesnt offend any of them.
and you could say that black has a double meaning of being "evil".

All I'm saying is that I've heard from MANY Asians that ever since the time of Vietnam "yellow" has been used as a slur. :shrug:

All I'm saying is that I've heard from MANY Asians that ever since the time of Vietnam "yellow" has been used as a slur. :shrug:

Fair enough. If thats the reasoning, perhaps its a difference between Asian Americans and Asian Canadians?

Back
Top Bottom