Racism - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
black colleges have their roots in pre-Civil Rights America where black student had no other option in the South but to attend a black university.

further, we have many female-only colleges and universities. and we have male-only colleges. these are private institutions and since they receive no federal money they can do as they please.
Yeah, I'm as white as can be and I could go to Morehouse...not Spellman though.

The thing about racism is, there's really no way to prove the negative. At some point you have to take someone's word for it, that they're not a racist. Plus, it gets blended in with classism (but we don't have class here, so ergo no classism of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
"Let's say I show you a group of 5 African-American males on one side of the room. Then I show you a group of 5 Caucasian males on the other side of the room. Then I tell you that one of these 10 people has been convicted of homicide, and I'll give you five bucks if you correctly guess which group he is in. Which group do you guess?"
What if the 5 black men (btw, saying "black" doesn't make me a racist) were well dressed professional looking men, while the 5 white men included a few less-than-clean-cut rednecks and a couple "urban-dressed" guys, all with tatts in full view...would you still pick the black men? If not, why not? Statistics say your best bet is still the black men.
__________________

__________________
CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 01:39 PM
5 black lawyers vs. 5 white meth heads.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #48
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 01:39 PM
This sums up my "racism".

YouTube - Chris Rock the (//_0)
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #49
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post

I think its all to easy now, for individuals to use the Discrimination/ racism card, should they not get their own way. And there is no shortage of goody goodys prepared to listen to them.
Classic example of this in my local news today. An Indian student at university here is making allegations of racism, because white students allegedly get marked higher and Tutors make racist remarks. Now.....how could this individual possibly know what grade other students work deserves? Sounds like they arent getting their own way, so play the they old Racsit card!
__________________
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 07:39 PM
You, however, don't have enough information to say that his accusations are just "playing the race card". If he continously receives a lower grade while all the white students do better, and the Professors make racist remarks, there is reason for him to believe that he gets discriminated against, and thus it is his right to speak out and call for legal action.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #51
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 06:39 PM
but Vincent...I am suspicious, as there is no way he/she would know how thier work stacks up compared to
other students. Also....to then add the allegation that the tutors make racist remarks...all smells a bit to me. If this was true...why didnt they first just make the allegation about the racist remarks....to wait and then couple it with the whole marking allegation makes me doubt the validity of the claim.
I dare say this individual believes it to be the case, but that doesnt make it so.

In this country, suspicion isnt enough, you need PROOF to back up your claim.
__________________
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Oh, students usually know what their fellow students and they themselves are capable of. So you realize when your work receives low grades and those of the others receive high grades whether this is entirely justified. Why not bringing it up? Don't really see what the difference would have been had he first just complained about the remarks and then followed it with the grading. Also, do you have any article which provides a little more information about the case? So far it's really hard to comment on it in any meaningful way.

Wow, your country is just like mine. However, if you have reason to believe that you are getting discriminated against you are justified to make this public. What kind of proof should he provide and how should he obtain it? That's the task of those investigating it, as they have the means.

And by the way, you are doing the same as what you are accusing the student of. Suspecting him of not being honest, or playing the race card, and thus accusing him.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #53
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Am not getting embroiled in an argument about this subject....coz its one that can snowball and then the accusations start to fly.
Political correctness has just gone mad and it annoys me that people manipulate the term for their own gains. And i dont limit it to Racsim, i include sexism and anything else you care to mention.
For example, i once came close to punching an eastern european guy for barging thro my kids. If i had....it would have been deemed a "racist attack". thats bullshit! had it been a fellow caucassian Scottish guy....i would still have reacted the same!
__________________
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Well, sure it is a pain when people exploit racism, sexism etc. for their own advantage. And nothing that should be tolerated. However, when you say the student is exploiting the issue of racism for personal gain you need to be able to back it up. Otherwise you need to wait until the investigations conclude. If they find in the end that your suspicion was right, good call. If they find the contrary, you don't look too good there.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
but Vincent...I am suspicious,
I find your posts to be suspicious. You accuse without a whole lot of evidence on your side as well, so you are just as bad as the example you are using. You use colleges and music awards as evidence of racism without any sense history or real facts.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
This sums up my "racism".
Uh, yeah

I think we've seen your racism.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
This sums up my "racism".

YouTube - Chris Rock the (//_0)
Hmmm.

Okay, how do I explain this so you'll understand?

It's kinda like this: You can complain all you want about your own family, but just let somebody else start talking about your mom or your sister and it's a whole different story.

I had a white teacher in 8th grade who said exactly the same thing Chris Rock did. "I don't mind black people, but I hate niggers" and his logic was essentially the same in terms of explaining what he meant by it. I was horrified by his blatant racism.

On the other hand, I laughed out loud at the Chris Rock video you posted. The difference is simply this--he had the right to say what he did, and my 8th grade teacher didn't. Are their problems going on black culture today? Most certainly. Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, and many others have spoken to it--and granted there are some blacks who take offense to them telling it straight, but the bottom line, is THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT. You and my 8th grade teacher don't. This is THEIR community, their culture, their people. The things Rock was talking about affect blacks and African American culture far more than they will ever affect you. They're not just mad about it, they're sad about. They care, in a way that the white person who expresses these kinds of sentiments can't possibly care.

I work in a predominantly African American school and the things that so many of these kids, especially the young men have to deal with just breaks my heart. You have no idea. . .

So. This Chris Rock video can't be your "racism" whatever that means. It's not your business. You don't have the right to laugh at it anymore than I have the right to make fun of your family.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #58
Refugee
 
MoodyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Boston, North of Providence
Posts: 1,372
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
in the US....i believe you have Black only Colleges amongst many other such things. Why?
Are you referring to 'Historically Black' colleges? That is not the same as black only. Some brief insight if you're interested, including why they were originally established.
__________________
MoodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #59
Refugee
 
MoodyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Boston, North of Providence
Posts: 1,372
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
And by the way, you are doing the same as what you are accusing the student of. Suspecting him of not being honest, or playing the race card, and thus accusing him.
And this is one reason why many people are reluctant to complain about a teacher or co-worker who makes racist remarks. For many people unless it's an outright hate filled tongue lashing in front of a dozen witnesses, the individual making the complaint is blowing things out of proportion.
__________________
MoodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Don't you think you are over-reacting? a bit?
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rare Robbery Case Brings Cries Of Racism MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 3 11-17-2007 11:39 AM
My College Final Essay, what do you think my grade will be? diamond Free Your Mind Archive 17 04-12-2007 07:56 PM
Anit War Racism..... Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 10 09-01-2005 01:29 PM
Justin and Janet's Boob = Racism Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 29 02-14-2004 01:22 PM
The evils of racism U2andPolitix Free Your Mind Archive 25 01-27-2004 01:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com