Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.
I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about FYM now, but I do hope you would return someday. I like your posts a lot, and I hope everything works out for you in real life. Take care.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #167
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.
That sucks, sean. Sorry to hear it. Good luck, and can't say I blame you.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point.
Perfectly understandable. I've stepped away a few times when I found myself taking things too personal.

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Well when you break down the human race by color you had a one in what 3 chance of being correct?
In Holland, i doubt if even one in 10 people are black.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #170
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
That wasn't my point. When he used his anecdote he assumed the person was black, but when we break down the human race by skin color we really for the most part categorize people as white, brown, or black... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That wasn't my point. When he used his anecdote he assumed the person was black, but when we break down the human race by skin color we really for the most part categorize people as white, brown, or black... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.
Dont forget our yellow friends
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:

The fault in his thinking is implying or suggesting that race played any part in the crime.

It was a not a black person that did the crime,
it was a person with criminal intend that did the crime
Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #173
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
Indeed. So, why was my first question, 'was it a black dude that mugged you'? (given the manner of the mugging, and that it was carried out in Amsterdam specifically)
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The fault in his thinking is implying or suggesting that race played any part in the crime.
This does not necessarily follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS
... So if he was going to assume a skin color he basically had 3 choices. I was just showing him a fault in his assumptions.

Statistics are not your strong point.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #175
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Dont forget our yellow friends
A pretty racist term in itself since the color doesn't make since. Studies have shown that eyewitnesses in crime have usually described Asians as either white or brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

It was a not a black person that did the crime,
it was a person with criminal intend that did the crime
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Statistics are not your strong point.
You missed my point, once again. And statistics that deal with "color" are pretty weak when they don't include other factors.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
A pretty racist term in itself since the color doesnt make sense
maybe you should inform my asian friend instead of making that distinctions yourself....

Why is it okay to describe black people as black when they arent actually black and white people as white when they arent really white? Seems like you were pretty quick to describe those people in those terms
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #177
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
maybe you should inform my asian friend instead of making that distinctions yourself....
Interesting, I've never met an Asian that referred to themselves as "yellow".

Quote:
Why is it okay to describe black people as black when they arent actually black and white people as white when they arent really white? Seems like you were pretty quick to describe those people in those terms
Well obviously none of the skin colors really make all that much sense, but I have found that most Asians are pretty insulted when they are described as yellow, especially given the double meaning of "cowardly".
Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

not one of my asian friends has a problem with being referred to as yellow I mean, its not the same as if you'd say "the black guy" or "the white guy", because its much easier to say "the asian guy". But I can honestly say it doesnt offend any of them.
and you could say that black has a double meaning of being "evil".
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #179
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
not one of my asian friends has a problem with being referred to as yellow I mean, its not the same as if you'd say "the black guy" or "the white guy", because its much easier to say "the asian guy". But I can honestly say it doesnt offend any of them.
and you could say that black has a double meaning of being "evil".
All I'm saying is that I've heard from MANY Asians that ever since the time of Vietnam "yellow" has been used as a slur.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
All I'm saying is that I've heard from MANY Asians that ever since the time of Vietnam "yellow" has been used as a slur.
Fair enough. If thats the reasoning, perhaps its a difference between Asian Americans and Asian Canadians?