Racism - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:08 AM
There's a difference between a sense of guilt and a sense of responsibility to right something.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
There's a difference between a sense of guilt and a sense of responsibility to right something.

or even just an acknowledgement that, yes, there are historical legacies one inherits due to one's race. race does matter.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #153
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Or just attempt to be a decent human being
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life

What about white Canadians? Should I be carrying some white man's guilt?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you're missing the forest for the trees.

comparatively, my family are relatively new to the United States. they all immigrated in the early part of the 20th century (save for my mother's father's father's side). there were none of us over here during slavery, and my mother's side were Irish Catholic and they landed in NYC.

but that doesn't mean that, by virtue of being white, they were able to better maximize whatever opportunities than they would have been able to had they been the descendants of slaves. there's little question that the legacy of slavery continues today, in a generalized form and in the shape of now illegal but still resonant institutionalized discrimination (housing, schooling, education) that affects generation after generation. it's not *my* fault, not at all, but i'd be wrong if i felt that i was distinct and apart from this historical legacy simply because my family didn't directly own slaves.
Well, I guess it's a distinction between 'hard' forms of discrimination, such as legalised discrimination, e.g, in regard to segregated schooling, and 'soft' forms of discrimination, whereby black people might find it more difficult in the job market if some of the recruiters are racist.

Can you give some examples of the latter, i.e., 'soft' forms of discrimination?

We can advocate for reducing soft forms of discrimination by introducing further 'equal opportunity' programs and the like, but let's not forget that some black people and other minorities find these patronising.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
What about white Canadians? Should I be carrying some white man's guilt?

How did we get on the subject of white man's guilt? I've never argued that anyone should be feeling guilty. All I've ever said is that white people making nigger jokes or using the word itself is inappropirate?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this was the ironic point.
Ok. But I doubt if the German would have used an epithet regarding Jewish people in his rant if he was quoting a Jewish comedian. My point is that different nations have different sensitivities. The 'N' word is an offensive term in all countries, but outside of the US there isn't necessarily the specific cultural context, it's just one of numerous offensive epithets that different races use about other races.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Philk? View Post
Perhaps I am taking this comment out of context, but it seems to me that there is occasionally crime everywhere.... I lived in a small, dutch city and guess what. Someone down the street...a Caucasian male who had a full time job, went to church and contributed to society...had a meth lab in his basement.

Or here in Michigan, there are crimes committed in both the "ghetto" as it may be considered...but just blocks away, there is an upper class neighborhood and guess what...white people do things there too!

I apologize if I am missing the point of this comment. If so, you can explain to me what you mean.
My sister (who is quite left wing) went to Amsterdam (in the Netherlands, not the one in New York state) a few years ago with a group of her friends, when she came back I asked her how it went and she said fine, except for the fact that they were mugged at gunpoint. I will openly admit that I asked straight out if the mugger was black. And she rather grudgingly confirmed that this was indeed the case.

HyperU2 is clearly trying to provoke and I don't agree with his posts in the thread, but its for reasons like the above anecdote that I find it hard to completely dismiss what he's saying.

( PS: Now here's a question. Why did I ask if the mugger was black? )
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I figure this thread's a good a place as any to make this announcement, and I'm doing this because I know I always wonder what happens when a familiar poster just disappears.

I'm going to be leaving FYM, and Interference in general for an indefinite time period. It could be days, weeks, or longer. . .I don't know. I do think I'll come back at some point. But right now I'm going through some really intense stress with my career. Piled on top of that, for the first time ever on this forum, I've felt uncomfortable. . perhaps unsafe is too strong a word, but that's the one that comes to mind. I've always assumed that no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day we're all friends. I'm not sure of that right now and with all the real-life shit going on in my life right now, the last thing I need is additonal stress from here.

I really do respect this online community and it has been a great blessing to me. I do hope I'll feel I can return soon. In the meantime, I'm out. If you want to reach me, you can do so through PM.
I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I enjoy your posts a lot, and count them among the most intelligent, balanced and thoughtful in FYM. Take care, I hope your sense of comfort here returns, and that your real life stress resolves very soon.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #161
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
And she rather grudgingly confirmed that this was indeed the case.
Well when you break down the human race by color you had a one in what 3 chance of being correct?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Sean. I enjoy your posts a lot, and count them among the most intelligent, balanced and thoughtful in FYM. Take care, I hope your sense of comfort here returns, and that your real life stress resolves very soon.
Ditto this. Take care of yourself, Sean.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Hey dude, havent really talked to you before, but I hope you get stuff straightened out. Take care
Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Take care of yourself, Sean.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Take care of yourself Sean. You bring a lot to this forum, and it (and we) will miss you.