Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #136
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I want to use every word.
So I'm guessing you want to use kike, spick, chink, and be able to wear swastikas as well?

And don't try and tell me there's a difference...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
It's not different, Nigger is free to cross over, hence the Elvis Ate America, Rock and Roll Nigger etc. I want to use every word.

and you're free to.

just don't whine about the social consequences.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
It's not different, Nigger is free to cross over, hence the Elvis Ate America, Rock and Roll Nigger etc. I want to use every word.
It's called poetic license, and no, you don't not have it.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
It's wrong to use it to describe someone because of the color of their skin. It's acceptable to use because of their actions.
What does nigger mean then? Seriously, what's a nigger?

I looked it up:

Nigger–noun

1. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a. a black person.
b. a member of any dark-skinned people.
2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
3. a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.
Origin:
1640–50; < F nègre < Sp negro black

Nigger Definition | Definition of Nigger at Dictionary.com

So I assume you're saying when you use the word you mean definition 2? OK, but ask yourself how that word, with that origina and original usage, came to mean "a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc." In that way it's a lot like "faggot", I know that came up a bit a few pages back. You'll hear that word used, and when the user's questioned the response goes something like "well I don't actually mean he's literally gay"...well of course not, we all know what faggot as an insult means...weak, wimpy, cowardly. And how do you suppose a derogatory term for a gay man came to have that "other" meaning?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier

it's much easier to bash faggots and lynch n*ggers than it is to kill gays and blacks.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

I think faggot actually has more sinister origins, if i'm not mistaken. Its almost the reverse of the word nigger (definition 2) in that, it was a derogatory term for gays before it was a insult to your weak and wimpy friends. And even before that, the first use of the word faggot was in reference to a bundle of sticks used for burning. With that definition in mind, it was then applied to homosexuals. Not very nice, is it?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
It's wrong to use it to describe someone because of the color of their skin. It's acceptable to use because of their actions. I'm just not afraid of words. In a momentary brain lapse yesterday while at lunch with a friend who happens to be black I described my aunt as the black sheep of the family, I worried for a second it might be offensive. Damn PC brigades. The word is fine in proper context.
It doesn't work that way. You can't just decide how a word can be used acceptably. The word has always been about a black person, without regard to their personal character. You can't just decide to apply it only to the "bad ones."

Black sheep isn't even in the same category, it has no serious history of racism, it may not even be rooted in race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and you're free to.

just don't whine about the social consequences.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I imagine that for many blacks using the term, it's a statement that they are taking control of the word and they are not giving it back to be used to hurt or demean them as has been historically done, hence the anger when a group that historically hurt and demeaned them tries to appropriate the word again--in ways that cannot have any good purpose. Similar in some ways to "cunt". I've used the latter among my friends. I'm comfortable when some people use it. I'm very uncomfortable when other people use it--because of the strength of the word as a weapon and because of the way it gels a mindset to people who can do me and other women harm, demean me, marginalize me with it.

It's difficult to take possession of a word and not have other people feel free to use it so you walk a dangerous path. You can't control the meaning or the intent of the word.
And it's not such much the word itself, but what is behind it that can be so threatening.

I assume for many other blacks, the word is never appropriate. As for many women, "cunt" is never appropriate.
And this.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, please do lecture me on my country's history. Europeans love to do that.
Well, I wasn't trying to lecture anyone, but for a start, how do you define 'Europeans'? Because previously on this forum you've said, with some justification, that non-Americans sometimes overgeneralise regarding America, but maybe overgeneralisations apply in both directions.

What about European countries that have been colonised by other European countries?

For example, how does the Irish potato famine - according to some historians, the equivalent of a genocide - fit into the thesis that white guy is always the oppressor and black guy is always the one being oppressed?

I am aware of the cultural sensitivity in America regarding slavery. But the people to blame were basically a relatively small number of colonialist upper class WASPS (with a few token Catholic Irishmen). Personally, I don't carry the can for something that happened hundreds of years ago that my ancestors, in all probability, weren't involved in. And I'm not convinced you should either, to be honest. It's as absurd, to me, as it would be if I blamed my English relatives and acquaintances for the potato famine, or if they blamed me for the terrorist atrocities of the Provos.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So I'm guessing you want to use kike, spick, chink, and be able to wear swastikas as well?

And don't try and tell me there's a difference...
Actually, there is. There's a difference between using a crude racial epithet and being a supporter of a far right ideology that slaughtered millions. There's an enormous difference between unthinkingly using a racial insult and being involved in active support of the worst and most evil kind of political ideology that ever held sway over a large part of Europe's population, or of any place's population, in history ever. Saying there isn't is a bit like a conservative claiming that social democracy is no different to Stalinism - a claim that you'd, correctly in my view, deride.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #145
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Actually, there is. There's a difference between using a crude racial epithet and being a supporter of a far right ideology that slaughtered millions. There's an enormous difference between unthinkingly using a racial insult and being involved in active support of the worst and most evil kind of political ideology that ever held sway over a large part of Europe's population, or of any place's population, in history ever. Saying there isn't is a bit like a conservative claiming that social democracy is no different to Stalinism - a claim that you'd, correctly in my view, deride.
I didn't say anything about supporting a far right ideology. And no one here is "unthinkingly" using a racial insult, he's very cognitive of it...
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #146
War Child

Worthless white fucks.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #147
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Worthless white fucks.
Weak
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, I wasn't trying to lecture anyone, but for a start, how do you define 'Europeans'? Because previously on this forum you've said, with some justification, that non-Americans sometimes overgeneralise regarding America, but maybe overgeneralisations apply in both directions.

this was the ironic point.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Worthless white fucks.

and, note, these three words have absolutely none of the toe-curling effect of the single word "n*gger."

why do you think that is?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I am aware of the cultural sensitivity in America regarding slavery. But the people to blame were basically a relatively small number of colonialist upper class WASPS (with a few token Catholic Irishmen). Personally, I don't carry the can for something that happened hundreds of years ago that my ancestors, in all probability, weren't involved in. And I'm not convinced you should either, to be honest. It's as absurd, to me, as it would be if I blamed my English relatives and acquaintances for the potato famine, or if they blamed me for the terrorist atrocities of the Provos.

you're missing the forest for the trees.

comparatively, my family are relatively new to the United States. they all immigrated in the early part of the 20th century (save for my mother's father's father's side). there were none of us over here during slavery, and my mother's side were Irish Catholic and they landed in NYC.

but that doesn't mean that, by virtue of being white, they were able to better maximize whatever opportunities than they would have been able to had they been the descendants of slaves. there's little question that the legacy of slavery continues today, in a generalized form and in the shape of now illegal but still resonant institutionalized discrimination (housing, schooling, education) that affects generation after generation. it's not *my* fault, not at all, but i'd be wrong if i felt that i was distinct and apart from this historical legacy simply because my family didn't directly own slaves.