Questions for Conservatives - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Questions for Conservatives

I know that Conservatives are a minority in this forum, and in this heated election, it's very easy for both sides to dismiss each other's point of view. I'm probably guilty of doing this at times, myself.

What I want to do with this thread though is to hear Conservatives' thoughts about McCain's campaign. Are you satisfied with the campaign he's run so far? What do you think he's done wrong? What do you think he's done right? What should he have done differently? At this point, barring something unforeseen, it obviously looks like a pretty clear Democratic victory is coming. Do you think that another candidate would have been better equipped to win against Obama, or was McCain the best choice regardless of the outcome? Are any potential flaws in the campaign due to McCain himself, or is he getting poor advice? Do you think the polls would be different now if Hillary had won the Democratic primary?

Liberals, no cheap shots or gloating in this thread, please, only constructive comments. I'm genuinely interested in the responses. Remember, everyone perceives things differently, and it's well within people's rights to think that McCain's campaign has been just fine, whether we agree or not.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

Liberals, no cheap shots or gloating in this thread, please, only constructive comments. I'm genuinely interested in the responses. Remember, it's well within people's rights to think that McCain's campaign has been just fine, whether we agree or not.
IMO 2 big mistakes:

1. Pandering to the far right. Who is the larger voter base, the far right or independents ? By pandering to the far right he probably lost independents and if he HADN'T pandered to them, let's face it, would they really have voted for Obama ? Throw them under the bus and stick to your "maverick" persona, not be seen as flip-flopping in order to appease the likes of Dobson and his ilk.

2. Sarah Palin. That choice spoke volumes about his judgement.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

I am pretty disapointed in the campaign. I have so little faith in the republican party right now. I have decided that Obama is really the only chance to shake up things a bit and I believe that he will help education in this country. McCain choosing Palin did me in. I do not think she is ready yet to be in charge of the country. I believe Romney was the right choice for VP. I think that the McCain of 2000 was the right choice. I am nost sure who this McCain is,
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not a Republican but objectively speaking:

1. Sarah Palin was a terrible choice. I also think he should have gone with Romney and I said so way before this financial crisis. I'm not sure McCain would win that way but it would have been closer. Whoever thought that Hillary's female supporters would go to Palin obviously just doesn't get the motivations of that voting bloc at all. The fact my 54-year-old mother scoffed at it immediately told me all I needed to know.

2. McCain learned absolutely nothing from watching Hillary. This is baffling to me - he went out and tried to run the same campaign and tried the same attacks. This is inexcusable.

3. Reliance on PUMAs and disgruntled Hillary voters as if the Republicans were somehow entitled to their votes. They overestimated their benefit in this respect.

4. Running a campaign like it's still 20 years ago. Not adapting to pretty much any modern form of campaigning. Not understanding how quickly videos go viral, not being able to raise money online and reach new donors, not reaching out through new media and so on. I don't blame McCain here, he's obviously got no clue but his people totally dropped the ball.

5. McCain's own behaviour in the last 8 years. He had no foresight. He should have, at the very least, started dissociating from Bush as early as 2004 and 2005 when the writing was on the wall and he didn't. Too little too late here.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I know that Conservatives are a minority in this forum, and in this heated election, it's very easy for both sides to dismiss each other's point of view. I'm probably guilty of doing this at times, myself.

What I want to do with this thread though is to hear Conservatives' thoughts about McCain's campaign. Are you satisfied with the campaign he's run so far? What do you think he's done wrong? What do you think he's done right? What should he have done differently? At this point, barring something unforeseen, it obviously looks like a pretty clear Democratic victory is coming. Do you think that another candidate would have been better equipped to win against Obama, or was McCain the best choice regardless of the outcome? Are any potential flaws in the campaign due to McCain himself, or is he getting poor advice? Do you think the polls would be different now if Hillary had won the Democratic primary?

Liberals, no cheap shots or gloating in this thread, please, only constructive comments. I'm genuinely interested in the responses. Remember, everyone perceives things differently, and it's well within people's rights to think that McCain's campaign has been just fine, whether we agree or not.
McCain is not a conservative.

Ron Paul was the only genuine conservative candidate that I am aware of.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

What does that make McCain? A neocon?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
McCain is not a conservative.

Ron Paul was the only genuine conservative candidate that I am aware of.
I was using Conservative and Republican interchangeably, as is often done. My apologies to those of you who use more specific definitions.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
The Male

Local Time: 07:24 AM
McCain is whatever he thinks others want him to be.

And yes, he has run a shitty, out-of-touch campaign. We'll found out in November whether Palin was a poor choice or not, but things are looking bleak at the moment.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
What does that make McCain? A neocon?
Of course. Probably not a high priest of this strange sect, however.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Of course. Probably not a high priest of this strange sect, however.
Just wondering. Figured as much.

I agree.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:24 AM
John McCain's not a neocon. He's using his reputation as a "maverick" to wear a neocon mask because he thinks it will help him win, which is even worse. At least Bush and his batshit crazy cronies are sincere about it.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

This thread stayed on topic nicely.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
This thread stayed on topic nicely.
Are you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell. Sarcasm is my second language. I must really be having an off night.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Dread's right. We can do better, guys. There are many other threads to take jabs at the other side.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

All I did was ask a question of a conservative for clarification. Hopefully that didn't infringe on this thread.

I'm curious as VP is to hear the response. Specifically from those who still are voting for McCain.