Questions for Conservatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think McCain has been doing okay, but he tries to pander to the left too much and is afraid of looking partisan when the Democrats obviously are.
I think this is the head scratcher of the week. :scratch:

It seems like he's fighting harder now but what he couldn't foresee was a stock market crash happening during the campaign. He was way ahead before the crash. Most people kick out whoever is there (president) and replace them with the opposite party. McCain can't do much about that.
He was way ahead? Have you been following this at all? He had a bump after the convention and announcing Palin, but that's it...

It's good that he's attacking more. Also they have large rallies where they can talk to the people without media filters. This helps. The battle in the end will be getting the base interested in voting.
I think it's sad when we cheer on our politicians to attack more.

And rallies are great but they really can't reach the numbers you need. I have to laugh at how scared conservatives are of the media. You don't win the battle with your base. Yes you need to secure it but that's not the battle...

in my opinion, in the minds of all people who value competency over notions of "authenticity," the Palin pick has automatically disqualified McCain as a serious, responsible presidential candidate.

Yet, if Barack Obama had picked Tim Kaine, everyone in here would not hold back any of the silly praise they continue to shower over Obama and everything he does.

If it were a "SOLD LEAD" he would still be winning. It appears it was not so solid.

Maybe this belonged here too:

Put aside his record, he is NOT the candidate he was in 2000. He made a conscious decision to court the right wing of the party to win the nomination. He made a conscious decision to bring people to run his campaign differently that he did in 2000. I hear it from a very good friend who rode the straight talk express in 2000 and has ridden it over the last year. These decisions and the manner in which he is being handled has been so different that I have to work at it to like him. I genuinely liked him in 2000. My grandfather, 80+ years old now, a life long democrat switched parties in 2000 to vote for him. He HATES him now, because it became about winning at all costs. The thing I loved about him, was that he seemed to not give a shite about winning the last time. He made me believe that STRAIGHT TALK was important, more important than winning. That is what is different about the man. He has allowed himself to be managed by the people who kicked the living snot out of him the last time. He could have gotten away with STRAIGHT TALK this time, because, the country is looking for that after being sold a bullshit war centered around WMD, After being told our citzens would not be surveilled through the Patriot Act, after being told that No Child Left Behind was going to change education and be funded.....the line of bullshite made the time ripe for the 2000 MCCain. Unfortunatley, many of us waited, and waited and waited.....

By the time the 2000 McCain arrived at the convention...he picks a VP that makes most people go WTF? Is he kissing the ass of the right again???? This waxs the time for him to move to the center or pick someone with some type of credentials that fit the times. I do not need another MAVERICK in a VP. I thought I had that in him.

So, his record, which I respect tremendously, does not matter to me when he wants the Presidency so badly he sold out the ideals that I admired in him.

It's like trying to argue how WWII would've turned out had Germany not tried to invade Russia. In the end, who cares? It didn't happen that way.

in my opinion, in the minds of all people who value competency over notions of "authenticity," the Palin pick has automatically disqualified McCain as a serious, responsible presidential candidate.

I think that's essentially how my prof feels in a nutshell.

Interestingly, though, he also seems to think that Palin may not have been his first choice, but that he had a lot of difficulty finding a running mate, and by shall we say, process of elimination, she ended up being it.

Also, I'm not sure if it's been posted around here, but apparently there's been a lot of conflict within the McCain camp, instigated by Palin - and I can only imagine this will hurt McCain as you can't fight a battle from all sides. And, thus only further suggests that she was probably a poor choice.
Of course, this is me getting off topic, I'm not the conservative here, my prof is, and he's only briefly touched on this - he thinks that this rebellion is her attempt to make herself relevant, in some misguided belief that she could be a real force in a future election. (he was quoting to me the usual fade into the abyss of losing running mates).

This is true. It may come back to what was discussed among the pundits early this year during the primaries that the Republicans just didn't have a lot of great candidates to choose from.

Most conservatives found flaws with one candidate or another. Even Mormons vs. Evangelicals was annoying with Romney and Huckabee.

Put aside his record, he is NOT the candidate he was in 2000.

Every candidate does some type of dance to sell himself to the public during a campaign, even the "McCain from 2000". The important thing is where McCain stands on the issues and his record on the issues in the past. The way someone campaign's is nearly irrelevant to that.

He could have gotten away with STRAIGHT TALK this time, because, the country is looking for that after being sold a bullshit war centered around WMD, After being told our citzens would not be surveilled through the Patriot Act, after being told that No Child Left Behind was going to change education and be funded.....the line of bullshite made the time ripe for the 2000 MCCain. Unfortunatley, many of us waited, and waited and waited.....

McCain was correct on the Iraq war and what is bullshit is the tired old WMD argument that Democrats like to bring up in an attempt to discredit the war. It misses the key fundamental reasons of why Saddam had to removed in 2003, and ignores what Saddam's capabilities could be today if he were left in power as Barack Obama would have foolishly allowed to happen.

By the time the 2000 McCain arrived at the convention...he picks a VP that makes most people go WTF? Is he kissing the ass of the right again???? This waxs the time for him to move to the center or pick someone with some type of credentials that fit the times. I do not need another MAVERICK in a VP. I thought I had that in him.

Contrary to popular opinion, she is as qualified as governor Clinton or governor Kaine were when they were sitting in the same position Palin was sitting in in late August when McCain asked her to run with him. If you don't win, you don't get to govern, the other guy does. I was happy McCain was willing to compromise on some things in order to get the Republican nomination and keep parts of the base of the party that were a necessity in order to have a chance to win. An election campaign is one thing, actually being the President is very different. The most important thing is what the person will likely do as President, not what happens during a crazy US Presidential Campaign.

So, his record, which I respect tremendously, does not matter to me when he wants the Presidency so badly he sold out the ideals that I admired in him.

I'm thrilled to be voting for John McCain this year. Many people said he could never win the Republican nomination. Because the American public almost always changes parties after one party has held the Presidency for two full terms, it was always going to be an uphill battle for McCain. With the economic downturn and the difficulties of fighting two wars, even tougher for the party in the White House to stay in the White House no matter who was on the ticket. McCain was on top for two weeks after the convention, but then the financial crises hit which has sent his poll numbers falling.

But there is still one area of US society that is overwhelmingly behind McCain in this election and that is the United States military. In the October 13 issue of the Army Times, the Military Times posted its Presidential election survey of 4,293 members of all the branches of military service. Here are the results:

If the presidential election were held today, for whom would you vote?

John McCain 68%
Barack Obama 23%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

BY RACE OR ETHNICITY
WHITE/NON-HISPANIC

John McCain 76%
Barack Obama 17%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN

John McCain 12%
Barack Obama 79%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 4%

HISPANIC OR LATINO

John McCain 63%
Barack Obama 27%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 1%

OTHER RACE SPECIFIED

John McCain 58%
Barack Obama 30%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 3%
Other 2%

BY RANK

ENLISTED

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

OFFICERS

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 22%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

BY SERVICE

ARMY

John McCain 68%
Barack Obama 23%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

NAVY

John McCain 69%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 1%

AIR FORCE

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

MARINE CORPS

John McCain 75%
Barack Obama 18%
Undecided 4%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

BY GENDER

MEN

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 22%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

WOMEN

John McCain 53%
Barack Obama 36%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 3%
Other 2%

BY AGE

18-34

John McCain 65%
Barack Obama 27%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

35 AND OLDER

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 21%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 1%

BY DUTY STATUS

ACTIVE-DUTY

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

GUARD & RESERVE

John McCain 71%
Barack Obama 21%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the
candidates would do
a better job as
president handling
the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan?

John McCain 74%
Barack Obama 19%
Undecided 4%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

In making your decision
about voting for
president, your
candidate’s choice for
vice president is:

Very Important 37%
Somewhat Important 50%
Not Very Important 11%
Not At All Important 2%
No Opinion 1%

Which of the candidates
would do a better job as
president handling
military personnel issues,
such as pay and
benefits?

John McCain 73%
Barack Obama 18%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the
candidates would do
a better job as
president handling
domestic issues, such
as education and the
economy?

John McCain 53%
Barack Obama 33%
Undecided 11%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the candidates
would do a better job as
president handling
Defense Department
issues, such as weapons
purchases, the size of the
armed forces and national
security strategy?

John McCain 77%
Barack Obama 15%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

http://www.militarytimes.com/static/...003_ep_2pp.pdf

One of Barack Obama's lowest levels of popularity among any major group or area in society is found in the US military!

His BUMP was already slowing down, as bumps do hense the name, before the financial crisis, the crisis just widened the gap.

He was still ahead of Barack Obama just prior to the start of the financial crises. The Financial crises changed the whole race.

If it were a "SOLD LEAD" he would still be winning. It appears it was not so solid.

Well, he was still ahead in the polls until the financial crises which is remarkable considering the many factors that he is up against.

Maybe he forgot that he tried this line of argument before and it got shot down by a couple dozen posters...:shrug:

Maybe you have forgotten that most of the couple of dozen posters while be wrong in their assertion also happen to be active members on the left side of the fence here in Little San Francisco. There are only at most 10 people in here that support McCain, and only average of one, two or none that actually post much in any of the threads. The left side of the fence is typically devoid of anyone that is not militantly partisan, so the prior posts on this are no surprise.

I kind of wanted this to be less of a debate thread - lord knows we already have plenty of those - and more of an analysis of the campaign, both positive and negative.

That said, STING, I'd really appreciate reading your responses to the initial post. :)

I kind of wanted this to be less of a debate thread - lord knows we already have plenty of those - and more of an analysis of the campaign, both positive and negative.

That said, STING, I'd really appreciate reading your responses to the initial post. :)

I'll respond to that on November 5. The campaign is not over yet, nor do we know who his going to win on November 4.:wink:

Maybe you have forgotten that most of the couple of dozen posters while be wrong in their assertion also happen to be active members on the left side of the fence here in Little San Francisco. There are only at most 10 people in here that support McCain, and only average of one, two or none that actually post much in any of the threads. The left side of the fence is typically devoid of anyone that is not militantly partisan, so the prior posts on this are no surprise.

Wow... insulting, incorrect, and ironic all at the same time. Nice!!!

How were they wrong in their assertion? You are using a "what if" that means nothing. Can I start using arguments about what if McCain chose Mickey Mouse as his running mate? Come on, use a little logic.

This part needed to be repeated, it's my favorite... I mean the irony is so thick coming from you.
The left side of the fence is typically devoid of anyone that is not militantly partisan, so the prior posts on this are no surprise.

The wheels fly and the colors spin

carousel.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom