Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I think McCain has been doing okay, but he tries to pander to the left too much and is afraid of looking partisan when the Democrats obviously are.
I think this is the head scratcher of the week.

Quote:
It seems like he's fighting harder now but what he couldn't foresee was a stock market crash happening during the campaign. He was way ahead before the crash. Most people kick out whoever is there (president) and replace them with the opposite party. McCain can't do much about that.
He was way ahead? Have you been following this at all? He had a bump after the convention and announcing Palin, but that's it...

Quote:
It's good that he's attacking more. Also they have large rallies where they can talk to the people without media filters. This helps. The battle in the end will be getting the base interested in voting.
I think it's sad when we cheer on our politicians to attack more.

And rallies are great but they really can't reach the numbers you need. I have to laugh at how scared conservatives are of the media. You don't win the battle with your base. Yes you need to secure it but that's not the battle...

Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

He was way ahead? Have you been following this at all? He had a bump after the convention and announcing Palin, but that's it...

Not way ahead, but he had a solid lead over Barack Obama until the financial crises began in mid-September.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in my opinion, in the minds of all people who value competency over notions of "authenticity," the Palin pick has automatically disqualified McCain as a serious, responsible presidential candidate.
Yet, if Barack Obama had picked Tim Kaine, everyone in here would not hold back any of the silly praise they continue to shower over Obama and everything he does.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
silly praise
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Not way ahead, but he had a solid lead over Barack Obama until the financial crises began in mid-September.
His BUMP was already slowing down, as bumps do hense the name, before the financial crisis, the crisis just widened the gap.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

there is one poll that shows a mccain lead of 10 points between 9/5 and 9/7; but, based on the other data from that period i'd say that result is an anomaly. otherwise, he led by 3-5 points for a few days about a week after the convention. how do you define "solid lead"?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

If it were a "SOLD LEAD" he would still be winning. It appears it was not so solid.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Maybe this belonged here too:

Put aside his record, he is NOT the candidate he was in 2000. He made a conscious decision to court the right wing of the party to win the nomination. He made a conscious decision to bring people to run his campaign differently that he did in 2000. I hear it from a very good friend who rode the straight talk express in 2000 and has ridden it over the last year. These decisions and the manner in which he is being handled has been so different that I have to work at it to like him. I genuinely liked him in 2000. My grandfather, 80+ years old now, a life long democrat switched parties in 2000 to vote for him. He HATES him now, because it became about winning at all costs. The thing I loved about him, was that he seemed to not give a shite about winning the last time. He made me believe that STRAIGHT TALK was important, more important than winning. That is what is different about the man. He has allowed himself to be managed by the people who kicked the living snot out of him the last time. He could have gotten away with STRAIGHT TALK this time, because, the country is looking for that after being sold a bullshit war centered around WMD, After being told our citzens would not be surveilled through the Patriot Act, after being told that No Child Left Behind was going to change education and be funded.....the line of bullshite made the time ripe for the 2000 MCCain. Unfortunatley, many of us waited, and waited and waited.....

By the time the 2000 McCain arrived at the convention...he picks a VP that makes most people go WTF? Is he kissing the ass of the right again???? This waxs the time for him to move to the center or pick someone with some type of credentials that fit the times. I do not need another MAVERICK in a VP. I thought I had that in him.

So, his record, which I respect tremendously, does not matter to me when he wants the Presidency so badly he sold out the ideals that I admired in him.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #39
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Yet, if Barack Obama had picked Tim Kaine
Which he didn't, making that entire line of argument pointless.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Maybe he forgot that he tried this line of argument before and it got shot down by a couple dozen posters...
Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:05 AM
It's like trying to argue how WWII would've turned out had Germany not tried to invade Russia. In the end, who cares? It didn't happen that way.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

and if John McCain had picked Joe Lieberman ...

oh, wait, he didn't.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in my opinion, in the minds of all people who value competency over notions of "authenticity," the Palin pick has automatically disqualified McCain as a serious, responsible presidential candidate.
I think that's essentially how my prof feels in a nutshell.

Interestingly, though, he also seems to think that Palin may not have been his first choice, but that he had a lot of difficulty finding a running mate, and by shall we say, process of elimination, she ended up being it.

Also, I'm not sure if it's been posted around here, but apparently there's been a lot of conflict within the McCain camp, instigated by Palin - and I can only imagine this will hurt McCain as you can't fight a battle from all sides. And, thus only further suggests that she was probably a poor choice.
Of course, this is me getting off topic, I'm not the conservative here, my prof is, and he's only briefly touched on this - he thinks that this rebellion is her attempt to make herself relevant, in some misguided belief that she could be a real force in a future election. (he was quoting to me the usual fade into the abyss of losing running mates).
Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
This is true. It may come back to what was discussed among the pundits early this year during the primaries that the Republicans just didn't have a lot of great candidates to choose from.
Most conservatives found flaws with one candidate or another. Even Mormons vs. Evangelicals was annoying with Romney and Huckabee.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Maybe he forgot that he tried this line of argument before and it got shot down by a couple dozen posters...
Oh no! Drive by media!