question for republicans - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,294
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Um, Socialists and Communists. Who do exist in America. Just like the KKK and Nazis.
There is absolutely no organized far left to equal the Tea Party, in either number or political influence and it is disingenuous in the extreme to argue equivalence here. There is none.

The far right in America is organized and wields disproportionate influence both within the Republican Party and the federal government in general. They bleat on a right wing network while claiming that it is a counterbalance to communist MSNBC - another idiotic myth without a basis in reality.

I am not saying that individuals who are far left or far right in the US don't hold extreme views. What I am saying is that it is categorically untrue that the far left carries the same sort of political influence as the far right. And that is a large and important distinction.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 115
Local Time: 10:22 AM
Exactly! That was my point. sorry if I didn't explain it well. While there are some on the fringe left who may be communist or socialist, the mainstream left in America is not this way and yet republicans / tea partiers keep insisting they are and a suprisingly large number of Americans seem to believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There is absolutely no organized far left to equal the Tea Party, in either number or political influence and it is disingenuous in the extreme to argue equivalence here. There is none.

The far right in America is organized and wields disproportionate influence both within the Republican Party and the federal government in general. They bleat on a right wing network while claiming that it is a counterbalance to communist MSNBC - another idiotic myth without a basis in reality.

I am not saying that individuals who are far left or far right in the US don't hold extreme views. What I am saying is that it is categorically untrue that the far left carries the same sort of political influence as the far right. And that is a large and important distinction.
__________________

__________________
pcfitz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There is absolutely no organized far left to equal the Tea Party, in either number or political influence and it is disingenuous in the extreme to argue equivalence here. There is none.

The far right in America is organized and wields disproportionate influence both within the Republican Party and the federal government in general. They bleat on a right wing network while claiming that it is a counterbalance to communist MSNBC - another idiotic myth without a basis in reality.

I am not saying that individuals who are far left or far right in the US don't hold extreme views. What I am saying is that it is categorically untrue that the far left carries the same sort of political influence as the far right. And that is a large and important distinction.
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Guess what? This kinda mirrors American society. Twice as many conservatives (42%) as liberals (20%). What is widely out of whack is the % of media and congressional Democrats that are liberal. Much, much, much greater representation than 20% of the population should receive.

And FYM... well, forget about it.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Guess what? This kinda mirrors American society. Twice as many conservatives (42%) as liberals (20%). What is widely out of whack is the % of media and congressional Democrats that are liberal. Much, much, much greater representation than 20% of the population should receive.

And FYM... well, forget about it.


not all democrats are liberal, and not all republicans are conservative.

these self-defined terms -- liberal/conservative -- aren't necessarily good indicators of political behavior.

the overall point is absolutely true. the conversation is pulled rightwards in the US because the right is much more to the right than the left is to the left. not sure what you mean about "liberal congressional Democrats," but you can say that x% of the media are "liberal," but you're assuming that they're advocates or propagandists rather than people who are able to do their job, combined with the fact that most are hyper-aware of this false "liberal media" charge, and if anything bend over backwards to represent "the other side" even if there isn't much of another side to present.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,336
Local Time: 06:22 AM
Yeah, because the major corporations that own most of the media in this country are all soooo liberal.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

And FYM... well, forget about it.
I don't know about you guys, but I miss the Soviet Union.

Can I get a witness?

__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Guess what? This kinda mirrors American society. Twice as many conservatives (42%) as liberals (20%). What is widely out of whack is the % of media and congressional Democrats that are liberal. Much, much, much greater representation than 20% of the population should receive.

And FYM... well, forget about it.
Wow, Conservatives must have a had an awesome breeding program in place since 2007/8. That's a nice jump. Kudos.
No aberrations there.





The first 2 seconds of this:
YouTube - ‪Kids in the Hall: Buddy Cole 06- Softball Sluggers‬‏

"Labels."
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Guess what? This kinda mirrors American society. Twice as many conservatives (42%) as liberals (20%). What is widely out of whack is the % of media and congressional Democrats that are liberal. Much, much, much greater representation than 20% of the population should receive.

And FYM... well, forget about it.
Polls speak the truth

INDY, I'm not sure you understand "American society".

I wonder what this poll would look like if you actually polled individuals about specific issues rather than generalities? Or if you polled the 21st century and not just those that still have a landline and the time to answer such silly polls?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
not all democrats are liberal, and not all republicans are conservative.

these self-defined terms -- liberal/conservative -- aren't necessarily good indicators of political behavior.

the overall point is absolutely true. the conversation is pulled rightwards in the US because the right is much more to the right than the left is to the left. not sure what you mean about "liberal congressional Democrats," but you can say that x% of the media are "liberal," but you're assuming that they're advocates or propagandists rather than people who are able to do their job, combined with the fact that most are hyper-aware of this false "liberal media" charge, and if anything bend over backwards to represent "the other side" even if there isn't much of another side to present.
The Progressive caucus in the House is its largest with 80+ members. The Blue Dogs now number in the mid 20's. Your point that not all Democrats are liberal is true but isn't the Democratic Congressional delegation becoming more and more liberal? For several reasons?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There is absolutely no organized far left to equal the Tea Party, in either number or political influence and it is disingenuous in the extreme to argue equivalence here. There is none.
I would argue that MoveOn.org had a significant and reactionary influence on progressive Democratic politics in the late 00s -- fueled by anger, oiled by independent money, decidedly and unapologetically leftist in their views, and very focused on financially promoting candidates they deemed worthy of office. Were they as well organized as the Tea Party? No, but I would say that is more due to a problem within the Democratic Party; after all, as Will Rogers has famously said, "I belong to no organized political party; I am a Democrat."

Quote:
The far right in America is organized and wields disproportionate influence both within the Republican Party and the federal government in general. They bleat on a right wing network while claiming that it is a counterbalance to communist MSNBC - another idiotic myth without a basis in reality.
I don't disagree that the far right holds more influence within its own party ( I would say that centrists have largely swung independent in recent years, due to the push right by Republicans), but you'd be hard-pressed to tell me that the far right holds any real influence in the federal government these days, unless that influence is to be a nay-sayer. Lest we not forget, the Executive and Legislative branches are distinctly Democratic.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Yeah, because the major corporations that own most of the media in this country are all soooo liberal.
TV Executives Admit in Taped Interviews That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal Agenda (Exclusive Video) - The Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
In clips that will hit the Internet to promote a new book, producers including "Friends" co-creator Marta Kauffman and "House" creator David Shore say Hollywood discriminates against and belittles conservatives.
Just saying.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Conservative politicians seemingly want nothing more than to go back to the 1950s when America was good and clean and rich and white, so I don't really give two shits if they feel underrepresented. Fuck the tyranny of the majority.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,336
Local Time: 06:22 AM
Yeah. Time-Warner, General Electric, Disney; all liberal bastions.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Wow, Conservatives must have a had an awesome breeding program in place since 2007/8. That's a nice jump. Kudos.
No aberrations there.
42% is exactly what the poll shows in 1994 too. Proving nothing creates conservatives like 2 years of liberal Democratic control of the White House, Senate and House of Representatives.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Yeah. Time-Warner, General Electric, Disney; all liberal bastions.
GE, especially when they owned NBC, were in the tank for Obama. There is no bigger corporate shrill for Obama than Jeffrey Immelt. Bad example.

Your others aren't so hot either.

Political donations 1989-2010:

Time-Warner $13,036,767 -- 67% to Dems 32% to Repubs

Walt Disney Corp $8,226,895 -- 65% to Dems 33% to Repubs
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com