Pure, uneducated ignorance. Go religion! - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #211
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Contributing to the happiness and well being of others should be the only end. All the rest seems tacked on in order to make you believe you need something that you really don't.
Well, that's what I try to do. I've yet to find a reason why Christianity necessarily precludes contributing happiness to others, but that's probably because I have no interest in what other Christians do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I couldn't care less about BVS' "respect". Instead of actually keeping up with an argument, he goes into hiding, then throws around little comments when nothing of substance is being discussed. Worst poster on the site.... second worst
Sorz, misread. If we're going to have a religious debate, it's necessary to care about the particulars. Note the result of trying to project Protestant beliefs about grace onto Catholics.

I think I know who the first worst poster is.

Schloop-a-Doop must really hate atheists, they're so negative all the time.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #212
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Well, that's what I try to do. I've yet to find a reason why Christianity necessarily precludes contributing happiness to others, but that's probably because I have no interest in what other Christians do.

I think we could find lots of instances where being Christian has precluded other believers from contributing to the happiness of others. But like I said earlier, if more people practiced the way you appear to be, it would be a nicer world.

Quote:
Sorz, misread. If we're going to have a religious debate, it's necessary to care about the particulars. Note the result of trying to project Protestant beliefs about grace onto Catholics.

Schloop-a-Doop must really hate atheists, they're so negative all the time.
Particulars are important, yes. Arguing over semantics is kinda boring though. Especially when considering the original comment about Mormonism (way back when) was taken completely in the wrong context. My remarks about them taking out ads and handing out books was meant to be in stark contrast with what we'd have if the musical was called Book of Mohammed. There would be guaranteed deaths over it. Instead, we get charming behaviour (some people here would have you believe that all religions are equally violent, however. But then they'd disappear for 4 pages)
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #213
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I think I know who the first worst poster is.
You might be surprised...
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #214
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Yeah, this has gone way off topic, into the land of religious semantics that I absolutely cannot stand. I actually used to frequent a Christian forum until I realized that the shit they argued about on there was so insignificant they might as well have blown the bandwith on GIFs of paint drying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You might be surprised...
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,286
Local Time: 08:40 AM
I find semantics to be tedious as well.

I pointed out the difference between Protestant and Catholic thought/belief in this instance because I think it is central to the debate.

When you consider major world religions on the whole, the majority of believers actually do not believe that they are saved by belief alone. I think even a person like Jive who is not at all religious would probably recognize that there is a significant difference between believing in grace and karma...not that I'm implying that one has resulted in a better world here on earth than the other. Sadly.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I realize that. It doesn't matter to me either way if you want my respect or not, I'm just trying to point out to you that your arrogance is really unwarranted in these types of discussions. You just lack the knowledge. What iron horse is to a science thread you are to a thread on religion.

What you call hiding, I call having little to no time.
I've got plenty of knowledge. You just don't have the wit or intellect to keep up. You're a slogan machine.

And if it's not hiding maybe stay the fuck out instead of popping your little head back in after the topic changes. Funny that you have no time when you're asked direct questions, but all the time in the world to shit on easy targets like Indy. And lets be honest, you post in FYM probably more than anyone else. You've got plenty of time
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
When you consider major world religions on the whole, the majority of believers actually do not believe that they are saved by belief alone. I think even a person like Jive who is not at all religious would probably recognize that there is a significant difference between believing in grace and karma...not that I'm implying that one has resulted in a better world here on earth than the other. Sadly.
I honestly believe most people are inherently good people, religious or not
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #218
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,671
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I've got plenty of knowledge.
That wasn't any kind of slogan, you had a major tenant of Christianity flat out wrong, it had nothing to do with semantics. There is a big distinction made in Christianity between sin and good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
And if it's not hiding maybe stay the fuck out instead of popping your little head back in after the topic changes. Funny that you have no time when you're asked direct questions, but all the time in the world to shit on easy targets like Indy. And lets be honest, you post in FYM probably more than anyone else. You've got plenty of time
My apologies if you asked me anything in this thread that I didn't answer. I've been posting a lot less in Interference lately.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
That wasn't any kind of slogan, you had a major tenant of Christianity flat out wrong, it had nothing to do with semantics. There is a big distinction made in Christianity between sin and good.
it absolutely was (and still is ) semantics. There's a direct connection between sin and the quality of the person (call it 'goodness', call it what you want). I didn't get anything wrong. And this is boring as fuck, but if you'd like to hang your hat on it, I'll throw you a bone. You rarely get one of those and this is pretty goddamn minor in the grand scheme of things.

Boring ass, worthless point conceded to BVS, you guys.

Quote:
My apologies if you asked me anything in this thread that I didn't answer. I've been posting a lot less in Interference lately.
You know exactly what I'm talking about. Dont 'play' stupid
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,286
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I honestly believe most people are inherently good people, religious or not
Interesting.

I think most people try or strive to be good most of the time. And that is something that is innate and unrelated to religious practice or dogma.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Interesting.

I think most people try or strive to be good most of the time. And that is something that is innate and unrelated to religious practice or dogma.
I agree that most people try to be good than are already good. But also, there are some people who think they are good, but their "kindness" is more self-serving and gives them a chance to boast about themselves. Not to ruin the tone here, but just to make a point.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #222
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Interesting.

I think most people try or strive to be good most of the time. And that is something that is innate and unrelated to religious practice or dogma.
Maybe that's a little more precise than what I said. I can go with that one.
My thinking was more along the lines of, as a species, we're programmed to be moral, social creatures. The idea that we're inherently ungood but for the good graces of religion is disgusting to me
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I agree that most people try to be good than are already good.
I don't understand the distinction here. If you're trying to be good, does that not indicate that you are a good person?

The topic feels a little unfocused and vague, maybe?
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I don't understand the distinction here. If you're trying to be good, does that not indicate that you are a good person?

The topic feels a little unfocused and vague, maybe?
No, I think it all depends on a person's motive and intentions. For example, if you are manipulating others into thinking you are a good, nice person, I wouldn't say you are good. You are a liar and a phony, deceiving others for your own gain. That is not being good.

Now if someone is truly trying to be good with all their hearts, I would say they have good intentions. But poor behavior may not be too far away, so it is difficult to say if that person is mainly a good person. Maybe their insecurities, anxiety or pain is causing them to be bad. But I also wouldn't say they are entirely bad. They just have fears or a lot of wounds that need to be confronted.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,504
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Which reminds me, the Salvation Army uses "Doing the most good" as a slogan. It's a contest? Hey, look, those guys are going good, charitable work over there. But us, well, we do the most good out of all of them!

I generally assume people are dirtbags until proven otherwise.
__________________

__________________
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com