Proposition 8 discussion continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adoption is not a feature unique to marriage.

Or are we going to ban single people from adopting now too?

It's best for these children to be in orphanages or foster care.

I don't know how much is genetic or learned, but I did find this about a young man with gay proclivities that had a beautiful out of body experience met Christ and was able to marshall his sexual desires and serve God as a Catholic Priest.
If men are forced to retard their own sexuality there will be dangerous consequences, the child rapists in the Church are the nasty evidence of this.

a right, it's a privilege.

and altho single ppl are allowed to adopt, that is not my preference.

In a world full of unwanted and abused children, I have to say I don't care one iota about your preference and my feeling is neither do the children.

So how is it that you will prevent somebody in a civil union from a single-person adoption?

No, its very relevant, the anti-sexual character of religious organisations has harmed a lot of people over the years and it shouldn't be hushed up.

You can look at this 2 ways:

1-A person of Faith can marshall his sexual impulses and desires -the majority of Catholic Priests, Nuns and Monks have proven this.

and/or

2-Man doesn't necessarily need to be celibate to serve God.

<>

Strikes me as disingenuous to encourage people to push for legislation that you wouldn't fully support.

or you're trying to force an agenda in it's totality on the majority of Americans that they wouldn't support.

The all or nothing approach has hurt the Gay movement thus far.

<>

You can look at this 2 ways:

1-A person of Faith can marshall his sexual impulses and desires -the majority of Catholic Priests, Nuns and Monks have proven this.

and/or

2-Man doesn't necessarily need to be celibate to serve God.

<>
Or you can look at it as the attempted suppression of an important part of our humanity, one which has harmed people and must be reevaluated.

Celibacy may guarantee the church material possessions, but it hurts actual people.

or you're trying to force an agenda

Once again, it's completely disingenuous to tell people they should push for legislation that you would vote down.

It must be more comfortable to say you're against an agenda, even if that "agenda" is the pursuit of equality in the eyes of the law, an area where individual religious beliefs should hold absolutely no sway over those who hold different beliefs.

The all or nothing approach has hurt the Gay movement thus far.

And blacks should have been happy to start with shared drinking fountains first. How dare they think they deserved equality full stop, eh?

Once again, it's completely disingenuous to tell people they should push for legislation that you would vote down.

It must be more comfortable to say you're against an agenda, even if that "agenda" is the pursuit of equality in the eyes of the law, an area where individual religious beliefs should hold absolutely no sway over those who hold different beliefs.

And blacks should have been happy to start with shared drinking fountains first. How dare they think they deserved equality full stop, eh?

i think you have the words equality and privileges mixed up.

and you should also stop using imperfect models as examples, it''s tiring and offensive to many people of color.

<>

and you should also stop using imperfect models as examples, it''s tiring and offensive to many people of color.

<>

Wrong. It's not priveleges these people are after, it's equality in the eyes of the law. Currently they do not have access to the same rights others are afforded by the law (in civil marriages), simply because of their sexual orientation, something that is not under their control.

As far as imperfect models go, I would say that using religious beliefs as justification is the imperfect model here. This country is not a theocracy.

Oh boy, here we go again. What do they want now? The right to vote? Come on'! Let them vote, then we'll have to let the women vote. Then the jews. Then the...um...well....whatever. When does it end? A society needs rules, and to give the appearance of enforcing the rules we need to keep certain types down. Why is this concept so tough for people to swallow?

Next they're gonna want to marry goats.

<>

How is marriage a privilege as opposed to a right? What makes something a right? A privilege is something that shouldn't be available to everyone, only to those that meet the necessary criteria. It is something granted by the powers that be and that can be revoked at any time. Thus, if marriage is a privelege, the State determines who is allowed the privelege of marriage and who is not. The state also has the right to revoke that privelege at any time, as it sees fit, correct? What if the state decided to revoke your marriage priveleges?

Is it a privelege or a right to ride at the front of the bus? (Being a person of color, may I be allowed to draw these analogies?)

Thus, if marriage is a privelege, the State determines who is allowed the privelege of marriage and who is not.

Well technically it does. There are all kinds of conditions imposed on who can get a marriage license (consanguinity rules, age rules, still-married-to-other-people rules, etc.).

How is marriage a privilege as opposed to a right? What makes something a right?

A privilege is something that can be granted and taken away.

A right is something that exist for all.

Marriage was granted to thousands of gay Californians for a few months.

Then it was taken away.

I also think when a privilege is granted by th State a license is granted.

Driver's Lic =Privilege

Marriage Lic=
happy-marriage-tips.jpg

<>

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight - you're saying that diamond doesn't speak for you? :confused:

Well, he did. But at the last meeting of the African American Community we decided that he would no longer be our spokesperson. There was talk of going back to Al Sharpton, but :shrug: nothing was decided.

I also think when a privilege is granted by th State a license is granted.

Driver's Lic =Privilege

Marriage Lic=
happy-marriage-tips.jpg

<>

But aren't we talking about who the privilege should extend to? Just because it's a privilege doesn't mean that the refusing to extend that privilege to someone isn't a violation of someone's civil rights. The issue at stake isn't whether it's a privilege or a right
but whether the reason for denying the privilege is valid or not. Back in the 60's the Supreme Court decided that denying someone the privilege of marriage based on the skin color of the spouses was a violation of their civil rights.

My point is that just because something is a privilege doesn't mean the state can deny it arbitrairly. If the state suddenly decided Mormons could not marry, I'm pretty sure you'd have an issue with that. You wouldn't say, "Hey, marriage is a privilege not a right, so I guess I won't complain."

Back
Top Bottom