Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #121
WCF
The Fly

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
I'm just finishing Year 12 as well, so I spose I'm a 'senior', and the same thing happens over here. I've got soo many friends who would be totally against allowing gay marriage, simply for that reason you've stated - that gays are disgusting. That is a terrible reason. One of my mates in particular would be very strongly against it. And I say why? He says well because it's wrong. It's disgusting. "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." Well, no. It's not wrong, or disgusting.
My god. If I hear that "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" line again I'll have to smash someone. lol. Seriously, it wasn't even funny the first time; why would it be funny the next thousand times. It's not even witty and makes no good point at all. Yet it's all they can come up with. High schoolers....they're all the same :P

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Because I believe in parental notification rights, separation of church and state, and democracy?

Geez, Melon.
How do you believe in separation of Church and State while championing a religiously inspired ban on gay marriage?

If you supported secularism you would allow gays equal treatment under the law, let them have marriage contracts but while at the same time oppose using state coercion to force churches to give gays religious sanction.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCF View Post
My god. If I hear that "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" line again I'll have to smash someone. lol. Seriously, it wasn't even funny the first time; why would it be funny the next thousand times. It's not even witty and makes no good point at all. Yet it's all they can come up with. High schoolers....they're all the same :P
And some people never make it past that age intellectually or emotionally. It's even less charming when 35 and 45 year olds say the same crap.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 PM
The LDS Church seriously miscalculated here. Now they're starting to receive negative PR from other angles as well. The Jews have had enough apparently...

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Holocaust survivors said Monday they are through trying to negotiate with the Mormon church over posthumous baptisms of Jews killed in Nazi concentration camps, saying the church has repeatedly violated a 13-year-old agreement barring the practice.

Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints say they are making changes to their massive genealogical database that will make it more difficult for names of Holocaust victims to be entered for posthumous baptism by proxy, a rite that has been a common Mormon practice for more than a century.

But Ernest Michel, honorary chairman of the American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors, said that is not enough. At a news conference in New York City on Monday, he said the church also must ''implement a mechanism to undo what you have done.''

''Baptism of a Jewish Holocaust victim and then merely removing that name from the database is just not acceptable,'' said Michel, whose parents died at Auschwitz. He spoke on the 70th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Nazi-incited riots against Jews.

''We ask you to respect us and our Judaism just as we respect your religion,'' Michel said in a statement released ahead of the news conference. ''We ask you to leave our six million Jews, all victims of the Holocaust, alone, they suffered enough.''

Michel said talks with Mormon leaders, held as recently as last week, have ended. He said his group will not sue, and that ''the only thing left, therefore, is to turn to the court of public opinion.''
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...in&oref=slogin

More and more groups will now see it as open season. Heckuva job.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
If you voted for this Proposition or support those who did or the sentiment they expressed, I have some questions, because, truly, I do not... understand. Why does this matter to you? What is it to you? In a time of impermanence and fly-by-night relationships, these people over here want the same chance at permanence and happiness that is your option. They don't want to deny you yours. They don't want to take anything away from you. They want what you want -- a chance to be a little less alone in the world.

Only now you are saying to them -- no. You can't have it on these terms. Maybe something similar. If they behave. If they don't cause too much trouble. You'll even give them all the same legal rights -- even as you're taking away the legal right, which they already had. A world around them, still anchored in love and marriage, and you are saying, no, you can't marry. What if somebody passed a law that said you couldn't marry?
Special Comment: The Passage of Prop 8 - The News Hole - msnbc.com
Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #126
Refugee

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The LDS Church seriously miscalculated here. Now they're starting to receive negative PR from other angles as well. The Jews have had enough apparently...

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...in&oref=slogin

More and more groups will now see it as open season. Heckuva job.
So, let's see

Past and present affiliations with Polygamy
Institutionalized Racism (rescinded by a conveniently timed "new revelation from god" when their tax exempt status was threated and college sports teams wouldn't go to utah)
Funding anti-gay bigotry in other states
Trampling over the memory of Jewish holocaust survivors

who's next ? Scientologists ? now THAT one should be fun !, I'm always up for some loon-on-loon action !
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

The problem with Olbermann is that he's so hysterical most of the time that when he hits the nail on the head, like he does here, no one that the message needs to get to will listen to it.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
The problem with Olbermann is that he's so hysterical most of the time that when he hits the nail on the head, like he does here, no one that the message needs to get to will listen to it.
That may have been his best Special Comment ever, but I see what you mean.

What I found interesting was I can't remember Keith ever bringing up gay marriage on the show before, let alone with that much passion.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
I agree about Olberman, but as you guys have said, that was a really good special comment tonight.

His point about "what is it to you?" really sums up my feelings about this issue. How are two men or two women getting married - how is that going to impact me in a negative way? In anyway at all. It isn't. Then why should I oppose that? No reason.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #130
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyahern View Post
I agree about Olberman, but as you guys have said, that was a really good special comment tonight.

His point about "what is it to you?" really sums up my feelings about this issue. How are two men or two women getting married - how is that going to impact me in a negative way? In anyway at all. It isn't. Then why should I oppose that? No reason.
I agree, Kelly. I don't understand why some people feel the need to impose their own beliefs on other people.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The LDS Church seriously miscalculated here.
More and more groups will now see it as open season. .
YouTube - Catholics Appalled at Anti-Mormon Slur
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
-from the above video-
We also strongly oppose any attempt to ridicule another person's faith.
But it's okay to ridicule other people's beliefs and who they chose to fall in love with?
This is the same church where Donny Osmond agreed that gay people were welcomed in their church as long as they did not act upon their orientation.

Tolerance

Consider this Catholic an opponent of Proposition 8, so the title of that video is wrong.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #133
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I kept waiting for him to say, "Now excuse me while I go molest some altar boys"
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #134
She's the One

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyahern View Post

Where the hell was he two weeks ago?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #135
Refugee

When you use every dirty trick in the book and spread your bigotry from your HQ and from out of state, you HAVE to expect a backlash....

Mormons and Prop 8: Lies and Blackmail | Crooks and Liars