Proposition 8 discussion continued - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #526
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Don't forget wearing a wedding ring. That shouts straight form the freaking rooftops.

i know, right? that ring is all, "dude, i love chicks! i put my penis in a vagina! i'm all about being hetero and *you* MUST accept me and my lifestyle!"

it's very rude. because whenever i think of straight people, all i think of is them fucking each other. because that's all heterosexuality is. fucking. there's nothing more to it than that. fucking.

that's it.

fucking. maybe some oral. who knows what *they* do in that lifestyle.

but it's only about sex.

unlike my beautiful, multi-dimensional, complex homosexuality.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #527
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
All relationships related to sex, it makes sense to me, although I have better luck of passing on my genes than you

Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
California's Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) confirmed Monday that it will investigate allegations that the LDS Church failed to report nonmonetary contributions to the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign.
Probe into LDS Church's Prop 8 donations going forward - Salt Lake Tribune
Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

NH civil union sponsor will push for gay marriage
By Associated Press | Saturday, November 29, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. - The legislator who sponsored New Hampshire’s civil union bill will push next year to legalize same-sex marriage.

But Portsmouth Democrat Jim Splaine will face a fight, as those opposed to civil unions vow to try to pare the law down.

Splaine says civil unions give same-sex couples about 90 percent of the benefits and obligations that heterosexual couples get through marriage. He says same-sex marriage is the only way for same-sex couples to attain full equality. Splaine describes the bill as necessary to propel debate.

Meanwhile, there will be debate on the current law.

Hooksett Republican David Hess has filed a request to repeal a portion of the law that recognizes same-sex marriages from other states as civil unions in New Hampshire.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #530
Blue Crack Supplier

^ good god, who is your new avatar?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #531
Blue Crack Addict

lol, Daniel Craig silly

Can someone vote that I can marry him? thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #532
She's the One

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Can someone vote that I can marry him? thanks
I'll vote yes on that.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #533
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks Martha. Now vote me lots of plastic surgery and I'll be all set.

Don't mean to make light of the topic at all, sorry.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #534
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:27 PM

The Church's response:

Quote:
False Claims on Proposition 8 and the Church's Contributions
From FAIR, the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research

Criticism: Opponents claim the Church improperly contributed to the success of the campaign to support California Prop 8. First, opponents criticize the Church for donating money directly to the “yes on 8” campaign. This claim is false. Records filed with the State of California indicate that the Church did not make any contributions with the exception of an "in kind" contribution (non monetary) for travel expenses for a single general authority. All other LDS-related money was contributed by Church members individually, not by the Church. Secondly, critics claim that members of the Church outside of California contributed to the “yes on 8" campaign, and this involvement of people outside of California was improper.

The following chart shows the amounts of money contributed by both in-state and out-of-state individuals and groups to each side.

For Proposition 8

$25,388,955 In-State Donations
$10,733,582 Out-of-State Donations
$36,122,538 Total Donations

Against Proposition 8

$26,464,589 In-State Donations
$11,968,285 Out-of-State Donations
$38,432,873 Total Donations

Totals
$51,853,544
$22,701,867
$74,555,411

Source: Tracking the money, Los Angeles Times

Note that out-of-state contributions to the "No" side were over $1.2 million higher than the out-of-state contributions to the "Yes" side. A third claim is that the Church violated its tax-exempt status by participating in the “Yes on 8" campaign. According to IRS rules, a tax-exempt organization may not support particular candidates or parties. However, the church did not participate in or intervene in any of the political campaigns for any of the candidates running in the 2008 election. The IRS does, however, permit a Church to take positions on issues.

Critics then claim that companies the Church owns violated those rules.

Companies that are owned by the Church, such as Bonneville Communications, are in business to make a profit. These businesses pay their taxes just like any other business: They are not part of the tax-exempt portion of the Church. They have the same opportunities and rights to act in this manner as any other tax paying entities in our country.
Another claim is that contributions by Church members were unfairly considered tax deductible. This is patently false. California members who chose to donate to the Prop 8 campaign were explicitly told that their donations would not be tax deductible. None of the funds donated to the campaign are allowed as deductions. Critics claim that members were told by the Church how much to contribute. Church headquarters did not pass down individual contribution goals to members. In some cases local Church leaders may have asked members to contribute a specific amount. Some goals were suggested to the general membership by their Stake President, such as “one dollar per day.” Some Stakes provided wards with goals that they were expected to meet. Humanitarian efforts Critics have been making the claim that the Church invested more money in Proposition 8 than in all of its combined humanitarian efforts. The question is not relevant, since the Church as an organization did not donate any money to “Yes on 8.” The Church does, however, fund a significant humanitarian effort through member donations. The amount contributed by the Church to humanitarian causes far outweighs anything that individual members contributed toward the effort to pass Prop 8. Critics do not seem as concerned about the money that could have been donated to humanitarian causes that was donated to the “No on 8" campaign instead. Conclusion

The Church did not donate any funds to support Proposition 8. That members exercised their consciences to donate funds or to participate in voluntary activities to express their views is in the best traditional of citizenship.

There are many other issues which draw critical attention. The full FAIR wiki article may be accessed by clicking here.

Another question Prop 8:

Those opposing Prop 8 outspent those in favor by the tune of $2,000,000.
What's the problem?

More info:

Proposition 8 - Tracking the money - Los Angeles Times

<>
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #535
Refugee

"California's Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) confirmed Monday that it will investigate allegations that the LDS Church failed to report nonmonetary contributions to the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign"

Probe into LDS Church's Prop 8 donations going forward - Salt Lake Tribune
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #536
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Time for a little dose of humor. Here's a funny and star-studded skit on Prop 8.

"Prop 8 - The Musical" starring Jack Black, John C. Reilly, and many more... from FOD Team, Jack Black, Craig Robinson, John C Reilly, and Rashida Jones
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #537
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Lol@nph
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #538
She's the One

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

and then...

Protect Marriage, Protect Children, Prohibit Divorce from Jonathan Smith

Something Irvine has already mentioned.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #539
Refugee

"Voters' economic status and religious convictions played a greater role than race and age in determining whether they supported the Nov. 4 ballot measure outlawing same-sex marriage in California, a new poll shows."

"The poll also showed that the measure got strong backing from voters who did not attend college (69 percent), voters who earned less than $40,000 a year (63 percent)"

"People who identified themselves as practicing Christians were highly likely to support the constitutional amendment"

Do they call it practicing because they still don't understand Jesus' message yet and they're trying to wrap their (apparently not very well educated) heads around it ?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #540
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
This is so funny! I loved it. Too bad the one's that should see it and identify with the hypocrisy of it won't get it. Shellfish is an abomination! Who knew?