Proposition 8 discussion continued - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #316
She's the One

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
So, even though my state's Constitution has an equal protection clause, gay couples shouldn't expect equal protection under the law in my state? The laws don't apply to them equally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Seems like Gays have work to do in your state legally-if that's the case.

You still didn't answer my question to you.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #317
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Marriage: the union of two consenting adults in a relationship recognized legally or religiously.

That was so complicated. How difficult. Now I can see why people don't want to change the definition of the word. It's so hard to do.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #318
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
You still didn't answer my question to you.
I did as far I'm concerened.

<>
Old 11-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #319
She's the One

Quote:
I did as far I'm concerened.
So, you refuse to really answer my questions.

That says a lot, doesn't it?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #320
ONE
love, blood, life

i think it's funny that it's more of a money issue w gays, taxes, medical benefits and not for "better or worse" and love etc.

i think if hetros had those tax and med. benefits stripped and civil unions had them handed to them, the strights would still want to be "married" and gays would be ok w it being called "civil unions".

<>
Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
if the measure have went your way-i doubt your feelings about it would be the same.

<>
You're wrong, but that's a constant thing with you anyway.

I don't think there should BE a measure of this sort to begin with.

I further think the California SC correctly interpreted the state constitution. The fact you don't like it doesn't make the judges wrong.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #322
musicidalist

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Interesting NYT article
Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, they're sure fixated on gay marriage. What happened to the log in your own eye?

Quote:
“We’ve spoken out on other issues, we’ve spoken out on abortion, we’ve spoken out on those other kinds of things,” said Michael R. Otterson, the managing director of public affairs for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as the Mormons are formally called, in Salt Lake City. “But we don’t get involved to the degree we did on this.”

The California measure, Proposition 8, was to many Mormons a kind of firewall to be held at all costs.

Shortly after receiving the invitation from the San Francisco Archdiocese, the Mormon leadership in Salt Lake City issued a four-paragraph decree to be read to congregations, saying “the formation of families is central to the Creator’s plan,” and urging members to become involved with the cause.

“And they sure did,” Mr. Schubert said.

Jeff Flint, another strategist with Protect Marriage, estimated that Mormons made up 80 percent to 90 percent of the early volunteers who walked door-to-door in election precincts.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #324
She's the One

Quote:
i think it's funny that it's more of a money issue w gays, taxes, medical benefits and not for "better or worse" and love etc.

i think if hetros had those tax and med. benefits stripped and civil unions had them handed to them, the strights would still want to be "married" and gays would be ok w it being called "civil unions".

Any sources for this, or did you pull this one out of your ear?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #325
BAW
The Flower

Quote:

<>

Okay, I see. So those damn homos who have been together for 20, 30 and 40 years aren't in it for better or worse, they've just stuck it out hoping to benefit financially when gay marriage becomes legal.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

It just shows a lack of understanding on diamond's part. For example, he says they're in it more for tax benefits. In Canada (an irrelevant country where equality exists), gay couples were considerably better off under the tax act before gay marriage was introduced. So they fought tooth and nail to pay more taxes, but since this doesn't jive with diamond's opinion of the legal taxation system, it must not be true.

They're in it for the MONEY!! I guess if you're Jewish you can rest easy there is now another minority group who will be stereotypically associated with greed.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Oh and since we're US-centric, it bears stating that gay marriage triggers absolutely no related-party provision in the Tax Code, so there goes diamond's theory there too. Par for the course.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #328
Refugee

Quote:
interesting.
im glad the homo dolphins do not hate on the hetro dolphins

<>
The "homos" hate on the heteros who woul deny them equal rights. And they are justified in doing so.

I think you guys are still pissed that it took a new "revelation" from god to give blacks equal rights, conveniently just before your tax-exempt status was to be reviewed. You need to take out your pent-up bigotry on another group.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

So you know all about the relationships and motivations of every gay and straight couple in the universe?

I would guess that gay couples want to take care of the money and medical benefits issues so that they can rest assured that those they love, and their children if they have them, will be taken care of. It's about that, not money. And they want to be able to have marriage for the same love and commitment issues that straight people want marriage for.

Plenty and plenty of straight people are married and stay married for financial reasons rather than love. So your reasoning there is, frankly, hogwash.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #330
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
all that proves is that even mormons appreciate a nice rack. A nice rack for time, we'll deal with eternity if it exists eh ?

sneaking suspicion they're bolt-ons though......
This is insulting and completely uncalled for. Please keep your comments to the topic at hand and not the physical appearance of other peoples' spouses.