Professor arrested for having sex with his 24 year old daughter... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Professor arrested for having sex with his 24 year old daughter...

Quote:
A Columbia political science professor has been charged with having a sexual relationship with his 24-year-old daughter, the Columbia Daily Spectator reports.

David Epstein, 46, was charged Thursday with one count of third-degree incest. Police told the Spectator that the relationship appeared consensual.

Epstein is currently on administrative leave.

According to the New York Daily News, Epstein and the woman had a three-year sexual relationship and often exchanged "twisted text messages."

David Epstein Incest Charges: Columbia Professor Charged With Sleeping With Daughter

As creepy as it may be, should it be punishable by law? She was 21 when it apparently started...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM
I'm not even going to read it

but yeah, it should be illegal, a parent has undo? influence and should be helping offspring develop healthy relationships,
not ones that work to the parents longings and desires.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Was she hot?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
If the law doesn't specify anything about illegality of such a relationship, and they can prove it was fully consensual, then no, I don't see how they could be charged with it. And if they both wanted it, I guess that's for them to deal with, this would fall under the belief of "Consensual sex between adults is the business of those engaged in it and nobody else".

Still, though, in my personal opinion, ew.

Angela
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
but yeah, it should be illegal, a parent has undo? influence and should be helping offspring develop healthy relationships,
not ones that work to the parents longings and desires.
I agree, but how do we determine that she hasn't had healthy relationships prior to this? What if she was 40 and had several healthy relationships?

Do we legislate other incurrences of unhealthy relationships?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Two more lonely people in the world tonight.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Do we legislate other incurrences of unhealthy relationships?
Yes. Sexual harassment in the workplace comes to mind.

Various professions regulate unhealthy relationships with punitive consequences - i.e. doctor/patient, teacher/student.

Those circumstances recognize the power imbalance in the relationship - and the potential for abuse of that power. On that basis, you can argue that when it comes to parent/child, there is no such thing as consent regardless of age.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Yes, but this would fall into the category of "relationships" without consent.

Quote:
Various professions regulate unhealthy relationships with punitive consequences - i.e. doctor/patient, teacher/student.
Good examples, but these aren't legislated(that I know of) outside the confides of these businesses.

Quote:
Those circumstances recognize the power imbalance in the relationship - and the potential for abuse of that power. On that basis, you can argue that when it comes to parent/child, there is no such thing as consent regardless of age.
Well I tend to agree, though I'm sure there are instances where the power struggle can be the other way around as well, i.e. child seducing the parent.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
though I'm sure there are instances where the power struggle can be the other way around as well, i.e. child seducing the parent.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You don't think it could happen?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:31 PM
I'm surprised this case has been as controversial as it has. I guess the issue is that the charge was incest, not rape, yet only the father was charged, which creates confusion for some people. In fact, it's not unheard of in the US for both the parent and the adult child to be charged with incest--I remember a case like that in, I think, Louisiana a few years back--but that's rare; usually only the parent is charged, for reasons AliEnvy indicated.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 01:31 PM
gross
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
Yes, but this would fall into the category of "relationships" without consent.
I don't follow.....?

Quote:
Well I tend to agree, though I'm sure there are instances where the power struggle can be the other way around as well, i.e. child seducing the parent.
Could be but that's not how sexual harassment is defined. It has more to do with the imbalance of power and authority than anyone seducing anyone else. In fact the college where I work prohibits relationships between professors and students, even if they are both consenting adults. From the administration's standpoint, that is always sexual harassment, even if neither of them agree. I'm not saying it's absolutely not possible for a professor and student to have a meaningful relationship but the rule is the rule, and according to HR that is sexual harassment (regardless of gender).
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

I don't follow.....?
I just mean that sexual harassment doesn't have two consenting persons one side is not consenting therefore the harassment, this story is a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

Could be but that's not how sexual harassment is defined. It has more to do with the imbalance of power and authority than anyone seducing anyone else. In fact the college where I work prohibits relationships between professors and students, even if they are both consenting adults. From the administration's standpoint, that is always sexual harassment, even if neither of them agree. I'm not saying it's absolutely not possible for a professor and student to have a meaningful relationship but the rule is the rule, and according to HR that is sexual harassment (regardless of gender).
Right but my point had to do with the parent/child relationship. Ali's post seemed to infer that the imbalance of power was always leaning towards the parent, but I've known of a story where the imbalance was definitely on the child's side.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

But the responsibility lies with the parent simply because they are the parent. They are in the position of power (or supposed to be). It's not a matter of seduction but how the relationship is normally structured. A parent would hold authority over a child, a professor over a student, a boss over their team, etc.

Sexual harassment *can* and very often does have two consenting sides. It's broader than one person taking advantage of another sexually.