Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread) - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #586
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 AM
It's only a "big deal" because of the symbolic nature of it, just like the Bank of America fee. It doesn't matter what it costs them, people don't want to hear that right now.

At least Verizon didn't get a bailout. Maybe they're going so broke that they'll ask for one soon.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #587
The Fly

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It's only a "big deal" because of the symbolic nature of it, just like the Bank of America fee. It doesn't matter what it costs them, people don't want to hear that right now.

At least Verizon didn't get a bailout. Maybe they're going so broke that they'll ask for one soon.
I will agree on that. Like I said before, it was pretty dumb from a PR standpoint.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #588
45:33

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Today I was part of a photo shoot for a silly edition (made up stories) of the paper I work at. We were "the 1%" and dressed up in suits, held iphones, coffee from Starbucks and held placards. Mine said "99 problems but I ain't one"
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #589
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Awww, Cobbler's first costume party.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #590
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) - A southern Indiana city has ordered Occupy Wall Street protesters to vacate a downtown park and remove their personal belongings.

The Herald-Times reports Bloomington officials posted a public eviction notice Wednesday evening at Peoples Park declaring that all personal belongings, including tents, must be removed by noon Thursday.

Protesters have camped at Peoples Park since October. The city had allowed the protesters and several homeless people to stay overnight in tents at the park, cook over a propane stove and set up military-style canvas tents.
It only took our ultra-liberal mayor 4 months to conclude that freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to camp in public spaces and poop in the bushes.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #591
Blue Crack Addict

You live in Bloomington? I was there a few months ago.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #592
War Child

Local Time: 12:12 PM
According to CNN, Americans make up more than half the world's wealthiest 1%.

Some Americans are saying that this is evidence that hard work pays off, that free enterprise really does good things, and that the OWS protesters should be grateful that they don't live in Africa or Asia.

Do you guys agree with this statement?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #593
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
Some Americans are saying that this is evidence that hard work pays off, that free enterprise really does good things, and that the OWS protesters should be grateful that they don't live in Africa or Asia.
that's particularly degrading towards asia, i'd suggest.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #594
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
You live in Bloomington? I was there a few months ago.
Hope you enjoyed our Hoosier hospitality.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #595
Blue Crack Addict

Most definitely. Great town there, I'd say probably nicer than State College.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #596
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Occupy Oakland arrests reach 400; City Hall vandalized - latimes.com)

Quote:
Occupy Oakland arrests reach 400; City Hall vandalized
January 30, 2012

Reporting from Oakland— Officials surveyed damage Sunday from a volatile Occupy protest that resulted in hundreds of arrests the day before and left the historic City Hall vandalized after demonstrators broke into the building, smashed display cases, cut electrical wires and burned an American flag.

Mayor Jean Quan condemned the local movement's tactics as "a constant provocation of the police with a lot of violence toward them" and said the demonstrations were draining scarce resources from an already strapped city. Damage to the City Hall plaza alone has cost $2 million since October, she said, about as much as police overtime and mutual aid.
Time Person of the Year
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #597
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I like how you bolded the "burned the American flag" part. To me this is much more bothersome and aggravating:

Quote:
left the historic City Hall vandalized after demonstrators broke into the building, smashed display cases, cut electrical wires
That's going to take a lot of time and money to clean up.

Not to mention, as has been discussed before, the "Person of the Year" is just nominating someone who was newsworthy, good or bad qualities notwithstanding.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #598
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I like how you bolded the "burned the American flag" part.
anything that can be considered a mild affront to the flag makes baby jesus cry.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #599
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I like how you bolded the "burned the American flag" part.
unfortunately, it was not "the" American flag

only 'an' American flag.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #600
Blue Crack Addict

Lovely article from Bloomberg today:

Bonus Drop Means Trading Aspen for Coupons - Bloomberg

Some especially great parts:

Quote:
Schiff, 46, is facing another kind of jam this year: Paid a lower bonus, he said the $350,000 he earns, enough to put him in the country’s top 1 percent by income, doesn’t cover his family’s private-school tuition, a Kent, Connecticut, summer rental and the upgrade they would like from their 1,200-square- foot Brooklyn duplex.

People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress,” said Alan Dlugash, a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in New York who specializes in financial planning for the wealthy. “Could you imagine what it’s like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?”

Wall Street headhunter Daniel Arbeeny said his “income has gone down tremendously.” On a recent Sunday, he drove to Fairway Market in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn to buy discounted salmon for $5.99 a pound.

Scheiner said he spends about $500 a month to park one of his two Audis in a garage and at least $7,500 a year each for memberships at the Trump National Golf Club in Westchester and a gun club in upstate New York. A labradoodle named Zelda and a rescued bichon frise, Duke, cost $17,000 a year, including food, health care, boarding and a daily dog-walker who charges $17 each per outing, he said.

Still, he sold two motorcycles he didn’t use and called his Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet “the Volkswagen of supercars.”

The malaise is shared by Schiff, the New York-based marketing director for Euro Pacific Capital, where his brother is CEO. His family rents the lower duplex of a brownstone in Cobble Hill, where his two children share a room. His 10-year- old daughter is a student at $32,000-a-year Poly Prep Country Day School in Brooklyn. His son, 7, will apply in a few years.

“I can’t imagine what I’m going to do,” Schiff said. “I’m crammed into 1,200 square feet. I don’t have a dishwasher. We do all our dishes by hand.”

The family rents a three-bedroom summer house in Connecticut and will go there again this year for one month instead of four.