Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“I feel stuck. The New York that I wanted to have is still just beyond my reach.”
“All I want is the stuff that I always thought, growing up, that successful parents had.”

Really says something sad about their priorities and perspective on life, doesn't it?

Maybe this is one of the best arguments there is for not paying for your kids' higher education. I bet some of these people would find it much easier to be content with what they have if they'd had the experience of scraping to get by at some point.

Hans Kullberg, 27, a trader at Wyckoff, New Jersey-based hedge fund Falcon Management Corp. who said he earns about $150,000 a year, is adjusting his sights, too.

After graduating from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 2006, he spent a $10,000 signing bonus from Citigroup Inc. (C) on a six-week trip to South America.

He worked on an emerging-markets team at the bank that traded and marketed synthetic collateralized debt obligations.

His tastes for travel got “a little bit more lavish,” he said. Kullberg, a triathlete, went to a bachelor party in Las Vegas in January after renting a four-bedroom ski cabin at Bear Mountain in California as a Christmas gift to his parents.

He went to Ibiza for another bachelor party in August, spending $3,000 on a three-day trip, including a 15-minute ride from the airport that cost $100. In May he spent 10 days in India.

Earlier this month, a friend invited him on a trip to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The friend was going to be a judge in a wet T-shirt contest, Kullberg said. He turned down the offer.

It wouldn’t have been “the most financially prudent thing to do,” he said. “I’m not totally sure about what I’m going to get paid this year, how I’m going to be doing.”

No compassion or sympathy for Hans?

WDW>>>>>Ibiza.

Hans doesn't sound like he's really cutting back.

WDW>>>>>Ibiza.

I think so too, I LOVE WDW. And on top of it all I had never even been there before, never went as a kid. Parents couldn't afford it.

Hans IS cutting back, he gave up a wet t shirt contest. Nothing says sacrifice like giving up wet boobies-maybe some of his equally deprived and sacrificing and teetering on the edge of poverty female friends would volunteer to do it for free. I just hope he'll survive. Somehow he soldiers on *cue inspirational music*

I haven't taken a trip anywhere of note in years, and when I did, it sure as hell wasn't outside the country to any place. It was a couple hours' drive to the nearest big city for a couple days for something to do.

“People who don’t have money don’t understand the stress,” said Alan Dlugash, a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in New York who specializes in financial planning for the wealthy. “Could you imagine what it’s like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?”

Sorry, run that by me again?

Poor, poor baby. He might have to give up his fancy golf club and walk his dog himself or something to help cover costs for a PRIVATE SCHOOL that he DOESN'T HAVE to send his kids to.

He wouldn't survive a day in my life. Quit your bitching, idiot.

If it's that important to have your kids in that school, or you don't want to disrupt their lives with a drastic change, then cut out other shit that you DON'T need. I mean, duh.

I can only imagine that this article was written about finding someone totally clueless about how "regular" people live, and exposing how out of touch some of the very wealthy are.

I think so too, I LOVE WDW. And on top of it all I had never even been there before, never went as a kid. Parents couldn't afford it.

I think WDW is actually more fun as an adult. I went once as a kid and then we went last November and I had the best time ever. Great service, some great restaurants there these days, weather was amazing - really didn't have a bad word to say.

There are mutterings in Seattle about some good-timey fun-lovin' anarchists showing up to the marches/protests today, to spread some joy like they did in '99 with the WTO riots.

I'm really hoping the media and police are exaggerating or wrong.

I'll be sure to be on the bus before things start at 5, and if shit starts going down, I will gladly skip the Snow Patrol concert tonight rather than have to come anywhere near a shitstorm or traffic nightmare.

your weekends? your 2 weeks minimum of vacations?

(believe it or not, other than weekends, i don't get these things either)

Are you enjoying your Bush tax cut?
Conservative economics mean that one illness/injury will ruin my life. Thanks, private health insurance!

I'm serious, though, I'm 95 percent sure I tore my rotator cuff last month. I've been ignoring it the whole time because I have no money for the co-pay since all my remaining money is meant for my next payment for college. This is a great system, definitely.

Been struggling to open doors because of my shoulder. Definitely can't go back to my normal job in the factory since I can't lift anything. But yeah, let's vote for Romney so that everything can be private and a few thousand rich people can live their extravagant lives off of the labor of the rest of the country. That sounds like a plan for America, you guys.

That sucks, PhilsFan, I'm sorry. I hope at some point you can find a way to get that taken care of.

And then of course there's the people who don't have insurance, period, and yeah, good times for all!

The only people the Bush tax cuts have helped are the rich. The rest of us have yet to see any possible benefits from them. But go on and keep believing they will do wonders for our economy.

PhilsFan said:
Been struggling to open doors because of my shoulder. Definitely can't go back to my normal job in the factory since I can't lift anything. But yeah, let's vote for Romney so that everything can be private and a few thousand rich people can live their extravagant lives off of the labor of the rest of the country. That sounds like a plan for America, you guys.

One could always accidentally throw ones self down a flight of stairs at a local Happy Valley establishment... :shifty:

Conservative economics mean that one illness/injury will ruin my life. Thanks, private health insurance!

I'm serious, though, I'm 95 percent sure I tore my rotator cuff last month. I've been ignoring it the whole time because I have no money for the co-pay since all my remaining money is meant for my next payment for college. This is a great system, definitely.

First of all I hope that turns out to be nothing more than tendinitis.

But you seem to be bemoaning the fact that your medical insurance requires a copay rather than the fact that the soaring cost of college tuition basically leaves you with no money? Or are you pissed at both as I don't mean to put words into your mouth.

First of all I hope that turns out to be nothing more than tendinitis.

But you seem to be bemoaning the fact that your medical insurance requires a copay rather than the fact that the soaring cost of college tuition basically leaves you with no money? Or are you pissed at both as I don't mean to put words into your mouth.

College tuition and insurance are ridiculous. I don't mind a co-pay so much as I mind the fact that if you actually have a serious injury insurance companies are free to find any excuse they want not to cover it. We actually had to sue our health insurance company back in 2000ish because they decided they didn't want to cover a $200,000+ hospital bill that we had no control over. We won and they ended up covering it, but we were lucky enough to afford good lawyers.

The other problem is hospital bills. They're not even remotely realistic, so it isn't entirely the insurance companies' fault. I recall looking at a detailed hospital bill for my mom when she was in for a week and it actually said "$40 -- soap for shower" per day. That was among many other ridiculous things that they charge you for without even telling you. When that adds up it can add up to thousands of dollars, in some cases doubling what the original bill would have been. It's no wonder insurance companies don't want to cover that.

Edit: http://hospitalbillingformula.blogspot.com/

This guy talks about it a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom