Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread) - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #301
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Reporter confronts Michael Moore hypocrisy at Occupy event - YouTube

Good work by that reporter. Sad answer by Moore.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #302
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Occupy Wall Street Has Jumped the Shark | RedState

Occupy Wall Street Has Jumped the Shark

Like the writer, after some initial posts I sat out a few weeks to see if OWS could pull themselves into a legitimate political movement. Just hearing the spokesmen for Occupy Oakland talk prior to the events of Wed was enough to convince me the answer was no. The mainstream media can cheerlead and explain away only so much of this.

It's not just the violence and destruction of personal property that will disgust 99% of the 99%, but the Marxist rhetoric and sheer stupidity of so much of it:

Shock!! The Peoples Court found them guilty.

Too bad, we face some huge hurdles as a country. I too think the country is not headed in the right direction. I too would like to see the cozy relationship between government and corporations curtailed. We could use some fresh ideas.

Vandalism, Marxism and street theatre are not the solutions 99% of Americans are looking for however. Then again, maybe that's all the Left has to offer at this point. I'd love to be proven wrong on that point.

Wow, generalize much? Anacharists do represent what OWS is about. The camps and marches have been peaceful for the most part except for Wed. in Oakland when a few anarchists ran away with it and got violent. Weren't you the one whose head exploded when people were accusing the TPer's as being racist becasue quite a few nut jobs joined the ranks with hateful signs of President Obama?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #303
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Sounds like the anarchists who helped turn the Seattle WTO protests into the Seattle WTO riots.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #304
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
Wow, generalize much? Anacharists do represent what OWS is about. The camps and marches have been peaceful for the most part except for Wed. in Oakland when a few anarchists ran away with it and got violent. Weren't you the one whose head exploded when people were accusing the TPer's as being racist becasue quite a few nut jobs joined the ranks with hateful signs of President Obama?
Take it easy on him, he just found an article he liked on one of his GOP websites and decided it fit his preconceived narrative well enough.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Is there truly no way that a centrist candidate/party that takes the best ideas from both the right and left make inroads in the U.S.? That really is the only way the U.S. can get itself out of this mess right now. Neither party seems to want to act with the best interests of all Americans in mind, and nothing will ever change for the better as long as that's the case.
Aren't the Democrats basically centre-right in nature? They sure as hell ain't left from what I have seen.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #306
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:26 PM
It is funny to see tea party folk get upset over a bit of violence when they are named after a quite major law breaking offence way back when.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
Let's set the vandalism aside then.

Americans aren't interested in general strikes, blocked bridges and roads, Marxist or anti-capitalist economics, anonymous protesters wearing masks or scarves, contempt for police, 60's nostalgia, or the lawlessness of "occupying" something that isn't yours.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #308
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why are more people not interested in Marxist or anti-capitalist economics? I wouldn't consider myself a great follower of Marx but he wasn't thick and a lot of what he discussed makes a decent amount of sense, as do the many writings Adam Smith et al. and all who followed along the capitalistic path. But capitalism is a weird kind of holy grail to have when it is something of no particular moral value. A certain amount of contempt for authority I believe to be reasonably healthy (but then part of that is my background being from Belfast), the police are an extension of the government no? Which a whole range of people distrust? (I'm not saying police are inherently bad and I fully recognise the need for them and it's a tough old job.)

Is the social contract between the government and the people broken when enough people distrust or believe the authority that exists in the land is against them?

I know the situation in the states is different to what it is here and as a nation you are more to the right than we are in Europe, that's fine and you do lots better in the states than we have ever done. I do though think on a global scale we need to think harder on how we put democracy into practice, as I don't think what we have now is the best it can be.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #309
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Why are more people not interested in Marxist or anti-capitalist economics?
Because it is evil and they murder puppies in broad daylight and they hate FREEDOM™?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #310
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I keep getting images of Marx hovering over cradles. Engels was a nice bloke by all accounts though, he was a funny dude, Marx kinda lacked humour.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Marx had a pretty awesome beard, you gotta give him that.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #312
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I find it quite cool that I live in a city (Manchester) where Marx and Engels bashed out some of Das Kapital. They were a dynamic duo.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Americans aren't interested in general strikes, blocked bridges and roads, Marxist or anti-capitalist economics, anonymous protesters wearing masks or scarves, contempt for police, 60's nostalgia, or the lawlessness of "occupying" something that isn't yours.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #314
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Marx kinda lacked humour.
His brothers were hysterical.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Triumph The Insult Comic Dog Occupies Wall Street

The funniest thing you'll see all month.