Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread) - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Amazing what moving out of your parent's basement and having the responsibility of a family, a car payment, a house mortgage and bills will do a person.
Yeah it sends some of them right down to occupy wall street.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #272
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco
Last night on Olbermann on Current TV ( he's been great on OWS coverage, almost wall to wall) he interviewed a protestor ( sorry didn't get his name) and he mentioned that they suspect that the cops are encouraging the homeless and mentally unstable to go to Zuccotti Park. They are working on evidence to prove this claim.
Do I believe that officers have told homeless to head down to zuccotti? Yes. Do I think it's an official department tactic? Maybe. Would they have found themselves there anyways? Yes, 100% absolutely. Despite the fact that many homeless are mentally handicapped and/or drug addicts, human survival instincts are incredibly strong in everyone. A place giving away free food, no questions asked? Of course they'll be there.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Amazing what moving out of your parent's basement and having the responsibility of a family, a car payment, a house mortgage and bills will do a person.
Some of us must be a real mystery to you.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #274
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Capital New York, Nov. 1
Quote:
Speaking at a business breakfast in midtown featuring Bloomberg and two former New York City mayors, [NYC mayor Michael] Bloomberg was asked what he thought of the Occupy Wall Street protesters. "I hear your complaints," Bloomberg said. "Some of them are totally unfounded. It was not the banks that created the mortgage crisis. It was, plain and simple, Congress who forced everybody to go and give mortgages to people who were on the cusp. Now, I'm not saying I'm sure that was terrible policy, because a lot of those people who got homes still have them and they wouldn't have gotten them without that. But they were the ones who pushed Fannie and Freddie to make a bunch of loans that were imprudent, if you will. They were the ones that pushed the banks to loan to everybody. And now we want to go vilify the banks because it's one target, it's easy to blame them and Congress certainly isn't going to blame themselves."
Pretty disingenuous IMO. I get the argument that the legislation he's presumably referring to (the 1977 CRA) had an unintended side effect of giving banks dangerous incentives to make high-risk loans, but the subprime market was dominated by private lenders to whom the CRA didn't apply, not "Fannie and Freddie" who were insurers not lenders. It winds up sounding like he's absolving the banks of responsibility for treating the CRA as a call to engage in criminally reckless banking practices--"Congress made them do it."

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Do I believe that officers have told homeless to head down to zuccotti? Yes. Do I think it's an official department tactic? Maybe. Would they have found themselves there anyways? Yes, 100% absolutely. Despite the fact that many homeless are mentally handicapped and/or drug addicts, human survival instincts are incredibly strong in everyone. A place giving away free food, no questions asked? Of course they'll be there.
Yes, I agree. The issue was the police deliberately navigating and directing the otherwise clueless mentally unstable down there. It became a matter of safety. This is from the guy from OWS, not me.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #276
ONE
love, blood, life

Breaking: Urgent: Newsflash: Many NYC cops are corrupt assholes.

In other news, economists unable to agree on economy.

------

Occupy Oakland protest feed here: http://www.livestream.com/occupyoakland

It's a mix of decent demonstrators and some anarchists who started stirring things up...Cops are tear gassing everyone, many cops have their names and numbers taped over. I just saw a poor little Korean lady not doing anything get a baton end straight to the chest and then face.

Land of the free!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Breaking: Urgent: Newsflash: Many NYC cops are corrupt assholes.

In other news, economists unable to agree on economy.

------

Occupy Oakland protest feed here: occupyoakland - live streaming video powered by Livestream

It's a mix of decent demonstrators and some anarchists who started stirring things up...Cops are tear gassing everyone, many cops have their names and numbers taped over. I just saw a poor little Korean lady not doing anything get a baton end straight to the chest and then face.

Land of the free!!!
That sucks. When will the cops learn that this only fuels the fire? Most cops are on the side of the protestors but as in any group there a-holes that ruin it for everyone. Poor woman.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Some of us must be a real mystery to you.
Guess so.

What about all the older people, military veterans, etc who are taking part in OWS or O anywhere else? They're there, you can read about them on the internets.

You shouldn't say that all Tea Party protestors are racist or whatever else you might say, but all of the occupy people are living in their parents' basements with no financial responsibilities and just smoking pot (or doing XYZ drugs) all day. They don't work just cause they don't want to.

I'm not defending all of them and I wouldn't, I'm sure that type of description applies to some of them. But that sure seems like a stereotype to me.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Conservatives have been taking aim at the (admittedly easy) target of smelly hippies since the Vee-ette-nam days.

It was only a quagmire/human hamburger grinder, after all; glad all the kids were wrong about that one now that history has had some time to pass judgment.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm so glad we won Vietnam and successfully toppled communism.

USA! USA! USA!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #281
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It really does sadden me that the best system for creating prosperity in society that we have come up with still leaves so many disenfranchised and remains so undemocratic at its core.

I know Greece leaving the Eurozone to default would mess things up (but then things sound like they're are not going to get any better anyway) but Germany and France turning round and threatening Greece and saying you can't have a national vote on something that is going to affect everyone's lives in that country is just nuts. So much for a national right to determine your own future.

Greed and avarice are built into the system with the constant pursuit of growth. 'More money!' is the best we have come up with.

We need a serious group think about what is actually the best way to govern and promote prosperity around the world. It's much more than just choosing a party to vote for.

The more I read the more how economics works and how it interacts with politics, the more insane our current systems seem.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

To paraphrase Winston Churchill

''Democracy is the worst form of government, except for the rest of them''
Old 11-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #283
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Aye true that it is, but there must be a better way of implementing democratic values in the world than what we have, as things stand at the moment it seems democracy is the last thing on politicians and corporations minds.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Drastic.
Campaign.
Finance.
Reform.

But it will never happen in the U.S.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Drastic.
Campaign.
Finance.
Reform.

But it will never happen in the U.S.
I have been saying this for years and years......It's the only issue because at it's core is the root of all the corruption.

If people keep rising up and protesting like this, I think things will change. But slowly.