Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's keep the insults out of this, shall we?

Ok. But some posters need to make better engagement and actually, you know, debate the issues instead of just throwing complacent, meaningless, cookie-cutter one-liners around.

The air is - literally - freer up there, as opposed to more industrialised and consumerist environs which are contaminated by the fumes from hamburger gases and other noxious odors emitted by the fat useless eaters that live in such places.

Hence, the citizens in the Pacific Northwest are comparatively less brainwashed than the average consumerist drones and still have the normal human ability to come up with their own ideas free from the odious influence of corporate capitalist oligarch tyranny, which is clearly fucking the entire global with its noxious trash, propaganda, evil and lies.

Simples!

hamburger gases :drool:

lack of commas between coordinate adjectives :grumpy:

A lot of people graduating from college have no job opportunities because your generation fucked over the economy.

The unemployment rate among college graduates is around 5.0%, much lower than the national average. I'd very much refute your claim of "no job opportunities." It likely depends on whether you majored in something that's actually practical, or if you went in for something like gender studies or world music.

Also, I would think if someone was truly sympathetic to the occupiers, the last people they would be concerned about are the people who have been blessed to go to college.

Also, I would think if someone was truly sympathetic to the occupiers, the last people they would be concerned about are the people who have been blessed to go to college.
Please. I think the Occupiers had the right idea (Wall Street needs to be accountable more than the government) but went about it the wrong way.

College isn't a blessing. Blessings don't come with tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

Not to worry.

images

Grammar is tyranny !! Punctuation is oppression !!

I've been reading a lot of academia from the 1980s, and holy shit did those guys overuse the comma. It's not just Oxford commas, either. They just excessively dropped commas at every possible turn.

I've been reading a lot of academia from the 1980s and, holy shit, did those guys overuse the comma. It's not just Oxford commas, either. They just excessively dropped commas at every possible turn.
Fixed that for you, sir.

Grammar :drool:

Holy shit (a phrase which can be equally used in parentheses, such as this one) is not essential to the sentence and can therefore be offset by commas. You can reread your statement without the "holy shit" and it will still make sense.

i get the idea, and i'm angered myself... i just never saw the point of sitting in a park freezing your butt off without any end game

yes. ditto.

i get it. i admire some of it. they're angry about the same thing as the Tea Party, only they have the correct target in their sights (big business, which has bought out the government).

and i don't see what sitting in a park actually accomplishes. :shrug: i could see in the beginning that just being a body on the street helps to make a point, like participating in a protest against the Iraq War (like i did back in 2003), but for weeks on end? just what is the endgame here?

Grammar :drool:

Holy shit (a phrase which can be equally used in parentheses, such as this one) is not essential to the sentence and can therefore be offset by commas. You can reread your statement without the "holy shit" and it will still make sense.
Yeah, it's a non-essential, independent something or other clause thingie?

I also feel people are not using hyphens with multiple adverbial somethings as much as they should be. You know, when there's like, two words being used as an adjective?

I don't even know anymore.

It was never well thought-out.

In Wisconsin, they occupied the statehouse for a purpose. To stop Walker and the GOP from stripping worker rights. They had a defined target, a defined issue and an end game.

In Israel, those people had the same, and a coalition type of government that collapses if demands are not given a serious hearing.

This occupy Wall Street, the Park, main street or what ever and staying over night has been nothing but a negative. Occupying public, private places 24/7 is not looked upon favorably by the over whelming majority of the American people.

If anything this played into the hands of the financiers.

it's just so typical of the left.

the problem with the American left is that it's a tenuously held together coalition of groups who have different historical grievances but little else in common. it's much harder to get them to effectively protest anything, especially when opposed to the right, which is a group of similar people bound together by imagined fears and longing for a past that ever existed.

It's true that the public were increasingly irritated by the size of the protest, inconvenience to commuters, hygiene issues, and the like. Bloomberg is a smart guy and he would not have allowed the cops to clear the area without the knowledge that the public would support the move.

I don't know, are the intrinsic differences really any greater than those between fiscal libertarians, reactionary populists, religious fundamentalists and foreign policy hawks? That too requires a carefully constructed and maintained unifying narrative, no?

youthunemp.jpg

(Bureau of Labor Statistics)

^ Civic unrest is exactly what you'd expect to see in many if not most countries in response to that. I doubt this will be the end of it.

Last edited:
especially when opposed to the right, which is a group of similar people bound together by imagined fears and longing for a past that ever existed.
I keep an open mind about the right, mostly because I believe in fiscal conservatism in general and the fact that many things should be state issues and not national ones.

It's just a shame you have to have those two reasonable ideals bundled together with wacky, antiquated/exclusionary/discriminatory social policies, hysterical anti-government fervour, hypocritical stance on gov't spending (spend hundreds of billions on American addiction to the military-industrial complex), anti-immigrant bias for whatever the group of the day to pick on is (right now it's Mexis, in 20 years we will have moved on fully to browner folks like Muslims, and (let's face it) a little bit of historical racial prejudice lingering around in the bottom of the conservative well somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom