Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread) - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Tuitions are set by the university, end of story.
I'm sorry, what is this supposed to mean? That the university should take a loss to keep tuition down because the state that it is associated with as a public university, that requires it to put millions of dollars into state-sponsored research every year has decided to cut back to help its buddies? Your view is stupidly simplistic.

And your scholarship point is completely irrelevant.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

i can see being angry with the government, and i can see being angry with corporations. i can see a difference of degree in anger towards the two.

but i can't see being angry with one and worshipping the other.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #138
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

but i can't see being angry with one and worshipping the other.
Absolutely!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #139
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2

Tuitions are set by the university, end of story.
Um, not exactly...

But good job pointing out two people and painting them as the voice of the movement Isn't that exactly what you accused everyone of doing to the Tea Party?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Your view is stupidly simplistic.
I could say the same of someone who seems to be blaming the exponentially increasing cost of college for decades now on governors suddenly trying to balance their budgets. You're ignoring the internal failings of the system- increasing administrative costs, underworked and overpaid professors, multimillion-dollar salaries for presidents, the ridiculousness of tenure, the waste that is poured into attracting new students, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

But good job pointing out two people and painting them as the voice of the movement
Unlike what some in here did to the Tea Party, nowhere in my post did I say they were representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Isn't that exactly what you accused everyone of doing to the Tea Party?

Please. That's what everyone DID do to the Tea Party. So, in the name of fairness, I think I'm entitled to point out every one of these fleabaggers who advocates communism, claims 9/11 was our doing, spits on a Coast Guard officer, leaves trash behind, blocks traffic, pretends to get run over by an officer, admits to being paid to protest, gets arrested, displays blatant anti-Semitism, calls for violence...

Again, unlike what the left has done, I won't make a call one way or the other about how representative they are. But they're there, and they're damaging whatever half-way coherent message is supposedly being presented.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #141
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Unlike what some in here did to the Tea Party, nowhere in my post did I say they were representative.
It seemed like you were implying that it was part of the message of the OWS.

Quote:

Please. That's what everyone DID do to the Tea Party. So, in the name of fairness, I think I'm entitled to point out every one of these fleabaggers who advocates communism, claims 9/11 was our doing, spits on a Coast Guard officer, leaves trash behind, blocks traffic, pretends to get run over by an officer, admits to being paid to protest, gets arrested, displays blatant anti-Semitism, calls for violence...
I think you're mistaken to think any of us in here painted the mentality of the TP based on one person or one example. There were an abundance of examples, not only from the protestors that we used, but also be those politicians and leaders that associated themselves with the TP that were used as examples.

So of course you have every right to point out these things, but it reflects negatively on you if you start doing the same exact thing you accused so many other people of doing. Don't you think?

Quote:

Again, unlike what the left has done, I won't make a call one way or the other about how representative they are. But they're there, and they're damaging whatever half-way coherent message is supposedly being presented.
Um, I think you have already made that call. And like so many of us have said, we are well aware that there are crazies involved in these protests. In fact that's the big difference you haven't seemed to grasp yet. I haven't seen one person yet in here that has defended these actions you speak about, but you and a few others in here actually aligned yourself with the TP and ignored and or defended much of the abhorant behaviour displayed by your fellow protestors. That's the big difference I see so far.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Michael Moore's Plea to Police Officers to Join #OccupyWallStreet (10/14/11) - YouTube

Just when you think Michael Moore couldn't be more wrong... he outdoes himself.

And Lawrence O'Donell, the reason you have to go to the commercial break is so your corporate overlords can make the profit that pays your salary and maintains the swank offices of all the 1 Percenters working at NBC's 30 Rock.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I could say the same of someone who seems to be blaming the exponentially increasing cost of college for decades now on governors suddenly trying to balance their budgets. You're ignoring the internal failings of the system- increasing administrative costs, underworked and overpaid professors, multimillion-dollar salaries for presidents, the ridiculousness of tenure, the waste that is poured into attracting new students, etc.
There are certainly other things that can be done, and a lot of them were done just this past year to combat the lowered state appropriations. But the fact remains: the main reason my school has the highest tuition of any public university in the country is because our state has cut its funding to keep no taxes on natural gas drilling.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Okay.. really? I commute 2 hours to and from work every day, where I am vastly underpaid, but can do nothing about it cause there aren't any jobs. I have three additional part time gigs that i need just to make ends meet. Got that? Three.

My finance and I, who live on the east side mind you, live in an incredibly small apartment. The person downstairs from us has the same apartment that is too small for us, only she's a single mom with three kids living with her.

Where my sympathies lie? I think it's you who have shown your true colors, not I.

I'm not trivializing 18-22 year olds. My finance and I are both still paying back our college loans, and will be for years to come, which is what will prevent us from owning a house any time soon.

I understand FULL well what is going on out there. I live in an apartment building that is full of the last of the dying middle class. Everyday I wake up at 5am to head to work, and pass by townhouses owned by Madonna and Mike Bloomberg on my way to the subway. I know a thing or two about the difference in wealth in this country. I see it from my porch. I live in a neighborhood where people who make 30,000-40,000 are a mere block or two away from those who make millions. My neighbor across the hall is a janitor. Al Roker lives down the street.

don't you dare lecture me with your bullshit about "trivializing" this movement. Have you been there? Have you gone?

The only thing that is trivializing this movement is the people who are down there abusing a legitimate protest and call for social change as an excuse to get fucking stoned.

Do yourself a favor... think before you post.
Getting stoned? The two 80 year old WWII vets are down there to get stoned? The single parents? The father of 2 who just got downsized? The kids graduating college with crippling debt and diminishing employment prospects are all there to get stoned? Stop watching Fox News and go see for yourself. These people are down there fighting for their futures..they're not getting stoned so get your head out of your ass.

As for your personal situation, maybe you'd be able to find cheaper housing outside of Manhattan.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Can you tell me why none of these kids are on campus protesting the insanely high cost of tuition, considering a college education is perhaps the largest factor in upward mobility and economic prosperity? I could relate to that a hell of a lot more than I can the myriad of unrelated demands coming from OWS, which range from "cut 80% of the military" to "get rid of capitalism and install communism" to "9/11 was an inside job."
They are, at least they have been doing every spring in North Jersey since 2002.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There are certainly other things that can be done, and a lot of them were done just this past year to combat the lowered state appropriations. But the fact remains: the main reason my school has the highest tuition of any public university in the country is because our state has cut its funding to keep no taxes on natural gas drilling.
that makes no sense
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

these {little} protests are spreading
they've had some pretty good ones in Los Angeles

and here in The O C, they are getting started

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...upy.html?pic=1

so what is this 17 year old expecting? why is she carrying this sign?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998

Getting stoned? The two 80 year old WWII vets are down there to get stoned? The single parents? The father of 2 who just got downsized? The kids graduating college with crippling debt and diminishing employment prospects are all there to get stoned? Stop watching Fox News and go see for yourself. These people are down there fighting for their futures..they're not getting stoned so get your head out of your ass.

As for your personal situation, maybe you'd be able to find cheaper housing outside of Manhattan.
You're right. That must have been burning oregano I smelled, ya know, when I was there. Three times to date.

Did I ever once say everyone down there was a bunch if stoned college kids looking for a good time?

No.

I said that the sheer number of that element is so massive down there that it mutes and hurts those who are actually making rational points.

So why don't you get your own head out of your ass and stop just assuming that anyone which dares to criticize a large and obvious element in that protest must be some privileged well to do right wing tea party felating douchebag.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #149
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
These people are down there fighting for their futures..they're not getting stoned so get your head out of your ass.
Given the fact that Headache has actually been down there with the protestors in person (and multiple times), I don't think you're really in a position to be correcting him on what's going on.

Furthermore, the "get your head out of your ass" comment does nothing to further the discussion and is needlessly condescending. It would be great if you could skip the insults from here on out.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

this is being labeled as a global movement

'Occupy' protests: Photos from around the world - latimes.com