Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
Forgein politics...this includes Bono's Data organization. What are people's feelings about the Debate? I am not political at all,yes a U2 fan that doesn't get politics, but I am a voter and I am nervous for Kerry tonight. I am not a Bush supporter but not overly impressed with Kerry. Looking for thoughts....

The pressure is really on Kerry. Bush simply has to avoid a major screw-up. Kerry needs to do something to sell himself that he hasn't done yet. They say he runs better when he's behind. We'll see what happens. I'm going to the local Kerry HQ tonight after work for a debate party, and I'm going to have fun. I like parties at the HQ!

I'm a little afraid of posting in here, b/c I am a U2 fan who happens to be a Rebublican.... I know, it sounds crazy, but I consider myself to be a moderate Rebublican at that.

I hope I don't get attacked for this, but I intend to vote for Bush in Novemeber. I am looking forward to the debates tonight, and seeing how Kerry does.

I think there are a number of issues on which I am unclear as to where Kerry stands (but then, isn't that the big criticism about him?). I am really looking forward to see how both candidates will handle themselves.

I don't know, maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough, but I am almost seeing these debates (ESPECIALLY the VP debate) as a form of entertainment - going to pop some corn, sit back, and watch the fur fly!)

But ultimately, I am pretty sure I will not be voting for Bush, as I feel the direction in which this country is being led is a direction of self-destruction. Is Kerry any better? I don't know - probably not. I wish I could vote FOR a candidate, instead of voting against one. :(

First of all Repulican or not political opinions are no different than some of our U2 opinions so don't ever worry about what people will say. At least I wouldn't say anything I can't talk for everyone.

What I don't like is all the rules for the debate. Really I don't think the word debate is that truthfull I think it is going to be each person giving a speech at a time. I am interested in what is said. Again I am a Democrat but I truthfully am scared of both canidates. Does that make sense?

Voting for Bush in a Swing State? Where do you live -- we're going to kidnap you on Nov. 1. ;)

I'm getting nervous about this. In one sense, Kerry tends to meander. In another, I'm told he shines in debates -- his last Senate campaign is a prime example.

Yep, Bush has to screw up tonight but at the same time, I don't think that would be hard. Give him a tough question he has not prepared for and he's like a fish flopping on the sand. All he works on is prepared answers that plug into questions. You can tell when he has no clue -- the whole soveign question at the minority journalists conference is an example or that question earlier this year about "What is your biggest mistake as president?" He didn't have any? Not even "well, I shouldn't have choked on that pretzel." One question could throw him off for the rest of the night.

I'm also not a fan of all the rules that go along with the debates. I think it would be great to see what happens if they could just go head to head on the issues.

I think the rules are idiotic (no reaction shots??) and the media outlets shouldn't follow them. As for the debate, Kerry really needs to once and fall emphatically state his opinion on the issues (I know, I know, he only has a few hours to come up with them!). I just think the debate is more crucial for Kerry than Bush. Regardless of whether the viewers are Bush supporters or not, he definitely hasn't strayed from his message! Its time for Kerry to develop one and stick to it, although it may be too little too late.

Don't be self-conscious about being a Republican here. You've got company--Headache, nbcrusader, Sting, LivLuvandBootlegMusic, and many others.

It will be a 90 minute ad followed by hours of analysis and spin.

Each candidate is coached to dance according to the track record of prior debates.

I don't know if it's to Bush's advantage is that he's expected to win. I saw a poll on MSNBC's news site and they have a poll in which the plurality says Bush will win. Maybe it's because they think he will be more clear on his policy positions and think Kerry will be all over the place on his. Perhaps this is what will happen. We'll see.

Obviously the Republicans are going in with a huge advantage. They've done a great job painting Kerry as someone who doesn't have a stand.

The rules of the debate favor Bush hands down. Bush has to screw up royally and Kerry will have to pull lightning from his ass in order to win. These are not debates, there is no back and forth allowed. They are a joke.

Both canidates if they truly want this to be fair should be demanding that all questions can be asked. Bush should want to answer questions from Kerry and vice versa. This is the most important job interview in this nation and now the pubic will see nothing but prescripted bullshit.

The rules tend to balance that somewhat by not allowing any direct back and forth. No candidate can ask any question or address directly the other candidate.

That way Kerry (who is by FAR the superior orator) can't try and trap Bush into one of his "Bushisms", which puts Bush at a bit of an advantage by not having to field a question that may stump him and cost him the debate.

The rules of the debate were negotiated by reps from both parties, so they have even representation.

Remember, however, the goal is not to win based on the transcript, but on the visual presentation.

"just like kerry could be thrown off guard by actually having to state where he stands on an issue"

Ooooh. Way to regurgitate your little talking points. How cute. I know thinking comes really hard for your kind, but come on.

nbcrusader said:
Each candidate is coached to dance according to the track record of prior debates.

I read that as "coached to dance according to the dance track record." I was totally confused! I didn't know there was a dance contest.

Now now, thomas. We all have talking points. The Reps. are just more organized with them. bitches.

I think the rules are dumb. The camera is not allowed to show the reaction of the other opponent. They taped lines that each speaker isn't allowed to cross. And they can't speak to each other? Hello. Doesn't sound like a debate to me sounds like individual speeches.
I'd rather watch the Aussie Pink Floyd too but I need to watch this debate. This presidential election is too important to not pay attention.

What really gets me is why we can't find two great people from each party. Why does it have to be Bush or Kerry the lesser of two evils? Isn't there some one who is just great out there?

Again I am a little nieve when it comes to politics but I am trying.

My prediction for this debate....

Overrated by the media and boring as hell with no discernible gains by either candidate.

I wonder if Kerry will bait Bush? It would make for a more interesting debate. Sort of like say: Blood for oil! President Bush will reinstate the draft! You're a neo-con draft dodger! Bush's family is connected to the Saudis and Osama Bin Laden! Lil George wants to fix his daddy's mistakes!

okay everyone watching the presidential smackdown? Someone is gona break the rules - the fun is watching to see which one it is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom