Pregnant Nude Shots: Beautiful or Narcissism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Yet, in some ways, these nude pregos are setting unfair expectations for the average mama. Regular pregnant women simply don't look like Miranda Kerr with her shapely belly and well-proportioned everything else. A lot of women are swollen, veiny, bloated and have cottage cheese thighs when they're pregnant.

Some women see the pregnancy pictures as simply another outlet for celebs to channel their self-absorption.

"Some of them do it because they are self-selected narcissists who act like they are the first women to ever conceive a child, like its some great feat that nobody else but them are capable of," says 'Cult of Celebrity' author Cooper Lawrence. "Add to that the extraordinary attention we media folk pay to the 'baby bump.' We only encourage their delusions of grandeur by making it easy for them to think that their pregnancy is indeed the second coming, so they must be photographed for posterity, for all the world to see, since they are indeed 'special.'"
Why Do Celebrities Pose Naked and Pregnant? | PopEater.com

While I do think a pregnant woman is a thing of beauty and there's nothing gross about it, I do think celebrity moms-to-be posing nude while pregnant is going into overkill. Is it done for the beauty of a pregnant woman or to shock people? Because if its done for the latter, what would be next to shock the public?

Is it more narcissistic than any other nude celebrity photo?

I haven't seen the photo in question (that's a lie) but I would like to say that Miranda Kerr is absolutely stunning and Orlando Bloom is a lucky bastard.

He assisted in defeating Sauron and restoring peace to Middle Earth, AND he's married to a supermodel.

i think Miranda Kerr is overrated, and i my existence as a human being is bought into question because of that.

that's not to say that she is one very voluptuous woman and i would definitely tap that, but overrated.

btw GAF i work with a bloke who looks exactly like the dude in your av

Why Do Celebrities Pose Naked and Pregnant? | PopEater.com

While I do think a pregnant woman is a thing of beauty and there's nothing gross about it, I do think celebrity moms-to-be posing nude while pregnant is going into overkill. Is it done for the beauty of a pregnant woman or to shock people? Because if its done for the latter, what would be next to shock the public?

I agree and just because she is famous doesn't mean she is more beautiful than other women. There is a certain amount of conceitedness with celebs, that most of us don't share.

And the more attention we give them, the more they'll do to get it.

Bingo.

That said, if people want to pose on covers like that, that's their business. I find it weird that people would ban such a thing-if it bothers me that much I just won't buy the magazine :shrug:. I don't get why that's so hard for some people to understand.

And as for the "setting a bad body image" thing...sigh. I'll spare everyone my speech about that yet again.

Angela

I think they're beautiful-but since Demi Moore was the first it's just overdone and it's lost any "shock value" or specialness. I hardly think Miranda Kerr doesn't have cottage cheese or stretch marks or any other pregnancy/non pregnancy earmarks. They're just airbrushed out. Of course some female celebs are narcissists who act as if they're the first ones to ever give birth-and of course childbirth is painless and we should have laws requiring all mothers to breastfeed and weight just drops right off after pregnancy if you just eat right-thanks Gisele.

There are plenty of non celebrity women who also act as if they're the first ones to ever give birth and they're perfect mothers and their kids are perfect. That kind of narcissism (which is sometimes more insecurity) is not exclusive to celebrities.

Is it anymore narcissistic than non-celebrities women that do so?

Yeah....I guess I didn't think this was unique to celebrities? Do we have a problem with this overall or just with celebs? Or is it because it's a magazine cover? It reminds me of the Original of the Species video. I know many people who've done these sorts of photoshoots, albeit most of them don't do it nude. I don't think I ever will but I don't have wedding photos printed either.

I'm too lazy to correct the spelling, etc. Is Howard single? :hyper:

Friday 12 November
By Howard

"I've wondered about this myself. Its gross. Why do these women think everyone wants to see their fat gross stomachs. Its like the idiots who turn sideways and hold their fat ugly stomachs with both hands. Hey we see your big, fat, ugly stomach, you don't have to bring more attention to the fact your knocked up. To me pregnant women aren't as attractive as they and their husbands think. That should be personal between the two. Actually I thinks they are super unattractive!!!"

Friday 12 November
By me

"Sorry, but pregnancy is NOT attractive. And yes, I'm a woman saying this. Stop making a natural bodily function into something romantic or sexy. It's neither."

Preganat?
Saturday 13 November
By Muffy

"I agree! It's not sexy, and I'm also female. Most women cannot wait to give birth so they can get their bodies back, and enjoy life again! You cannot do a lot of things while preganat."

Sunday 14 November
By marg

YES...we are aware there is a baby in there! Doesn't mean everyone wants to look at it! Looks trashy hanging out like that. We don't want to see your butt-crack either...but SOME people think theirs is sooooo cute!

Husband of the year...
Sunday 14 November
By felton

Its not beautiful. Its gross. My wife has had 3 of my children. Never once did I look at her belly nor did she want me to. She felt gross and looked gross. Some people pose because they are so far up themselves they think they look hot no matter what. I dont pay any attention to them pregnant or not.

I dont want to open that link to see Kerr posing, naked.....but I do know that naturally she will be airbrushed to look smooth, so it will be seen all 'glowing and beautiful' in a slight unrealistic fashion.

but I have seen pregnant girls about, and even if they have marks, etc, I think they all look beautiful, they all have a gorgeous glow about them. even if they are feeling uncomfortable or have marks, etc that never go away after the event. but really, pregnancy is beautiful, and you know, some couples who do that 'posing for beautiful photographs by an expert' thang, you know, you walk into their house and they may have one or two of themselves hung up, Ive seen this in couple of programs - well this couple were naked, but anyway perhaps a pregnant wife/partner may want a photoshoot done, in a beautiful proud thang or whatever..........but u know whats more scary are the celebs who go all out crazy to get back to shape like, hours, after giving birth - seems that way!

the celeb posing world can be the ultimate pee session on reality.

"...who act like they are the first women to ever conceive a child, like its some great feat that nobody else but them are capable of"

This is just human nature and hardly limited to celebrities. Every woman and man who are expecting a child think it's the most amazing thing in human history. After they have the baby, their child is the cutest kid any of us have ever seen. "oh, you should've seen him the other day man. He's so fucking cute. He was just sitting there, staring at a grape"*
It's easy for people to jump all over celebrities for being narcissists, but everyone does it. Just not on the public scale, so not everyone knows about it.
And of course they aren't going to put a photo of a celebrity who's pregnancy is on the more average side of the aesthetic curve. Why should they? I'm sure these women have worked really hard to keep themselves in the shape they're in and are proud of the way they look. What happened to all the 'pregnancy is beautiful' talk? Does that only count for the women who let themselves go a little bit?

As far as the 'shock value' of the photograph: Do you guys really think it's shocking? There's absolutely nothing shocking about it and I'm sure that's not what the photographer and art director were going for. Women pose naked on the covers of magazines all the time (and men too *gasp*). It's the people making a big deal of a naked pregnant lady that are turning it into something it's not. It's just another photograph. Get over it

*stolen from David Cross

I tend to think that pregnancy nudes are gorgeous. I suppose it's like the celebrity equivalent of celebrating motherhood or femaleness or something. I don't get what the big deal is. If you don't like that kind of photo, ignore it, just as people who don't like nudes in general ignore all the rest of the nudity that's out there, in our increasingly open, show-all society. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't see how pregnancy being a factor makes it any more narcissistic than any other nude.

My nephew's gf posed for some. She wasn't completely nude, but she was topless for some of them, and he was in some of the pics with her. They were some of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen, very tasteful, and a great keepsake of that time in their lives.

I'm too lazy to correct the spelling, etc. Is Howard single? :hyper:

Friday 12 November
By Howard

"I've wondered about this myself. Its gross. Why do these women think everyone wants to see their fat gross stomachs. Its like the idiots who turn sideways and hold their fat ugly stomachs with both hands. Hey we see your big, fat, ugly stomach, you don't have to bring more attention to the fact your knocked up. To me pregnant women aren't as attractive as they and their husbands think. That should be personal between the two. Actually I thinks they are super unattractive!!!"

Ooh, let's hope so, MrsSpringsteen! I mean, come on, how can you resist someone who talks like that!

Sheesh. Amazing what the Internet will allow some people the guts to say, eh?

Most women cannot wait to give birth so they can get their bodies back, and enjoy life again!

Yes. That should be the biggest reason to look forward to giving birth. To get your body back. I understand in a sense what she's saying here, but that kinda came off as a little...shallow?

Nice posts, Jive Turkey and VP :up:. People really do like to make a mountain out of a molehill. This shouldn't be that big an issue.

Angela

Yes. That should be the biggest reason to look forward to giving birth. To get your body back. I understand in a sense what she's saying here, but that kinda came off as a little...shallow?

My friend, who is a very active person, was very tired with her pregnancy in the last few months as she got bigger and bigger and couldn't be as active as she always was. It wasn't -the- reason she looked forward to giving birth, but it sure was a big factor. I suppose many women look forward to having kids but don't necessarily think that pregnancy is all that wonderful.

As for celebrity pregnant nude shots, I think they're more to do with publicity rather than either beauty or narcissism.

Agree with Saracine. I do think pregnant women are beautiful -- but I don't feel the need to sexualize that beauty. Women who are pregnant don't need that additional pressure -- they have enough going on already...

Yeah I guess I feel if you got it, flaunt it. A lot of women have pregnancies that are torture, nothing that they can control. My cousin gets horribly ill and often bed ridden or hospital ridden. I know a few who would likely throttle me for suggested they strip and have a photoshoot. But if you're one of the lucky women that loves being pregnant then by all means get your picture taken. To me it's like having a wedding photo or engagement photo. You are happy and want to capture that memory.

There are plenty of nude photographs and paintings of women, pregnant and not, and that doesn't automatically make them sexualized. Some hang in the most prestigious art museums in the world. Of course pregnant women are still sexual beings. But these pictures are capturing a memory, just like Liesje said.

Well I think sexualized in that case is probably in the eye of the beholder

But to say that photo of a nude pregnant woman automatically equals sexualizing them to me is a false premise. Just like saying that breastfeeding is a sexual act because a breast is exposed.

Well I think sexualized in that case is probably in the eye of the beholder

I'm sure I can find you countless paintings and photographs that have been displayed in prestigious art galleries that are unequivocally sexualized. And theres nothing wrong with that. Just because something is sexualized doesn't mean it can't be art. That's all I was responding to

I do think pregnant women are beautiful -- but I don't feel the need to sexualize that beauty. Women who are pregnant don't need that additional pressure -- they have enough going on already...
Not sure what you mean by this. If like most adults you care to some degree about being sexually attractive, that's not going to stop because you're pregnant; there's no mental switch you can flip that conveniently separates out the desire to be sexually appealing from the desire to look professional, well-groomed, "together." That's not to say that recognizing how different you look and why doesn't have an effect, just that it's not some absolute, black-and-white thing: who you basically are inside hasn't changed.

But I think this is probably not all that relevant to nude pregnancy photos anyway. I agree with VP, I think for most women who do this it's more a celebration of "womanliness," maternal nature, and so on...with maybe just enough of a sexual undertone to assert the individual beneath the archetype, as they see it. It's perhaps not unlike the way a man who does bodybuilding and is at his lifetime peak fitness might decide to do a nude or nearly nude photo shoot, to commemorate a certain moment in his experience of being a man--it's not primarily sexual, but it would be unrealistic to deny that's in there. It may very well also be narcissistic, but that's really a case-by-case judgment call, and again, not appreciably different from any other nude photo shoot in this way, that I can see.

Back
Top Bottom