Pregnant Nude Shots: Beautiful or Narcissism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does nude automatically = "sexualized"?

No, but I think that all of the celebrity images in the original article definitely are. And the "shock" value of, say, Demi Moore cover probably stemmed from the fact that pregnant women - especially heavily pregnant women - are not traditionally sexualised in our media.

I think the "shock" value came from the fact that you never saw any images like that of pregnant women, famous or not. If that was done it was in private for private consumption. Or it was in more obscure venues, not on the cover of a mainstream magazine.

Now you see more pregnant women in bikinis, etc. It seems to be more acceptable for pregnant women to show off their bodies- to have that option, I think that's great. Of course some women don't want to do that and that's their choice, it's all about freedom and choice. And some people still think the pregnant body is "fat" and "gross". Just read some of the comments on the original article. I don't think it's just the level of the Pop Eater reader, I think plenty of people might feel that way.

No, but I think that all of the celebrity images in the original article definitely are.

This, though I was commenting less on the pictures themselves than I was on the comments posted on the site, all of which seemed to say "Oh, gross, we don't need to see that, disgusting," etc. As if the only nudity worth seeing is hypersexualized, stick-figure lingerie models. Doesn't anyone go to museums anymore?

And I do think that glowing pictures of (photoshopped? airbrushed?) pregnant models and actresses (many of whom have trainers) present another idealized portrait of physicalization that the average pregnant woman would have trouble living up to.

I say the Hell with celebrity pregnant nude shots! That shit is played out. I want to see celebrity pregnant sex tapes! Yeah baby! :hyper:

LOL, I'm actually surprised nobody's thought of that yet. But please, don't give anyone any ideas. Celebrity sex tapes are another trend that needs to die, too.

My friend, who is a very active person, was very tired with her pregnancy in the last few months as she got bigger and bigger and couldn't be as active as she always was. It wasn't -the- reason she looked forward to giving birth, but it sure was a big factor. I suppose many women look forward to having kids but don't necessarily think that pregnancy is all that wonderful.

Oh, I don't doubt that. And if it's a struggle for you for health reasons, or if you're an active person and the pregnancy has affected that some, I fully understand looking forward to it ending so you can get back to normal in that regard.

I just get annoyed when I hear women talk about wanting to get back their "figure" after they're pregnant, when they talk about wanting to look hot again or something along that line. Like Kate Gosselin getting that tummy tuck so she could get her figure back after having eight kids (what exactly did you expect would happen to your body when you had that many children?). It just strikes me as kind of shallow.

Angela

I dunno. Having a baby changes your life in a multitude of irreversible ways.

Maybe for some women, trying to reclaim control over their own body is a natural response to a universe of changes, or to have at least one aspect of their "old" life back.

MARIAH-CAREY-PREGNANT.jpg

Yes. That should be the biggest reason to look forward to giving birth. To get your body back. I understand in a sense what she's saying here, but that kinda came off as a little...shallow?

I don't see it as shallow at all. It's not even about whether someone is good with pregnancy or not. The toll that weight takes on you, which is gained within a 4-6 month period, is massive. I dont want this to sound patronising, because we've all heard the tolls of pregnancies and common sense enough can tell you that, yeah, it's rough etc, but it's such a severe change in such a short time and honestly, it hurts. Every aspect of your life is constantly reminded of this bulk. You are so cumbersome and there is no relief until bub is born. It's got nothing to do with wanting your body back as such, but more wanting a simple set of stairs to not be mt. kosciusko, and sleep to just no longer be hard to do!.

I'm personally spo over pregnancies and anyone else being pregnant that I'm probably an utter bitch about it, lol. I just couldn't care, so long as everything is healthy then I don't want to hear it. And as someone said above, A stor perhaps, Celebs are so over-conceited, who wants to feed that? Not me. I don't care about famous people generally anyway, and when they suffer pregnancy then I can only muster a snarky "ha, suck shit" in their general direction.
:shifty:

So one person in Arizona who happens to work at a grocery store doesn't think it's appropriate?

That's because pregnant belly buttons are outies. They probably thought "ewwww grossssss"

That's because pregnant belly buttons are outies. They probably thought "ewwww grossssss"

Exactly. :lol: Mariah's photo looks a lot more real, especially since they didn't erase the line down her belly. I don't know, the other pic looks so unnatural to me that there's an unsettling feeling of it looking un-human.

Guess so :rolleyes:.

Seriously, can people lay off women, please? The birth control debate, the abortion debate, a picture of a nude pregnant woman is "offensive"... When did women having kids or not having kids become something worth people making a big angry fuss over? And why do people think they have the right to tell women what to do in regards to these issues?

And why do people think they have the right to tell women what to do in regards to these issues?

Silly girl, by asking this very question you prove their point: we're completely incapable of possessing the mental capacity to make such decisions for ourselves. You know - we're fickle, emotional, gentle creatures who would do best to just be quiet, look pretty & leave the hard thinking to our betters. (Men, naturally.) :cute:

:shame:

God, I could barely type that without :barf:

I think they're beautiful-but since Demi Moore was the first it's just overdone and it's lost any "shock value" or specialness. I hardly think Miranda Kerr doesn't have cottage cheese or stretch marks or any other pregnancy/non pregnancy earmarks. They're just airbrushed out. Of course some female celebs are narcissists who act as if they're the first ones to ever give birth-and of course childbirth is painless and we should have laws requiring all mothers to breastfeed and weight just drops right off after pregnancy if you just eat right-thanks Gisele.

There are plenty of non celebrity women who also act as if they're the first ones to ever give birth and they're perfect mothers and their kids are perfect. That kind of narcissism (which is sometimes more insecurity) is not exclusive to celebrities.

I agree with every part of this ^ :up:

I don't mean to open this whole can of worms again, but I think it's that same narcissism that makes some women think it's cool to whip out a tit and feed their baby in a restaurant

Jive Turkey said:
I don't mean to open this whole can of worms again, but I think it's that same narcissism that makes some women think it's cool to whip out a tit and feed their baby in a restaurant

Narcissism? Maybe if they parade around the restaurant sans cover blanket while doing it, but most women I know who've breastfed in public try to be pretty discrete about it.

Narcissism? Maybe if they parade around the restaurant sans cover blanket while doing it, but most women I know who've breastfed in public try to be pretty discrete about it.

Some do, I'm talking about the ones who don't. "oh, it's natural and it's beautiful.' Sorry, sweetheart, but your baby slobbering all over your boob is beautiful to nobody but you. That narcissism

Jive Turkey said:
Some do, I'm talking about the ones who don't. "oh, it's natural and it's beautiful.' Sorry, sweetheart, but your baby slobbering all over your boob is beautiful to nobody but you. That narcissism

You don't find it a little bit ironic that you're now talking for everyone?

Hey man, if you like that sort of thing, more power to you. But I'd put money on the fact that the majority of people don't want to see it while they're trying to eat (let alone at any other time of day). Just like everyone thinks their ugly kids are the most beautiful babies in the world. They arent. It's the narcissism of parenthood

As a woman, I also often feel annoyed at how many of my peers act as though they are the first woman to ever give birth or the first woman to ever breastfeed. I would probably feel a little weird if I saw a woman literally "whip out a tit" in public, but I can't say I ever have, and if I did I'd probably not give it more than two seconds thought because I'm not one to pay attention to what everyone else is doing in public. I've seen many women discreetly breastfeeding, totally covered. I don't recall ever seeing the cleavage of a woman that was breastfeeding, but I've been subjected to a lot of other cleavage!

Jive Turkey said:
Hey man, if you like that sort of thing, more power to you. But I'd put money on the fact that the majority of people don't want to see it while they're trying to eat (let alone at any other time of day). Just like everyone thinks their ugly kids are the most beautiful babies in the world. They arent

It's not a matter of "liking" it or not. It's how many babies get fed and who are you to tell mothers that they are somehow narcissistic or wrong for doing so? The majority of women I know who breast feed are pretty discreet about it.

I'm sure this particular individual is in the minority, but I recently saw a woman ....'open air' breast feeding at the mall. It's not that I'm offended at the sight of a boob (quite the opposite), I just find it a little ignorant to the people around her

It's not a matter of "liking" it or not. It's how many babies get fed and who are you to tell mothers that they are somehow narcissistic or wrong for doing so? The majority of women I know who breast feed are pretty discreet about it.

Again, you just skimmed over my post, but that's sort of your MO I suppose. I was particularly referring to the women who think it's beautiful because it's natural and don't make an effort to cover up. Their baby slobbering over their boob might be beautiful to them, but it most certainly is not. Much like most would prefer not to see a video of the birth itself.
Did I say breastfeeding was wrong somewhere? Did I say mothers who breastfeed in general are narcissists? I know you love an argument, but at least argue against what I say

The majority of women I know who breast feed are pretty discreet about it.

it's that same narcissism that makes some women think it's cool to whip out a tit and feed their baby in a restaurant

it's that same narcissism that makes some women think it's cool to whip out a tit and feed their baby in a restaurant

Back
Top Bottom