Pregnant Nude Shots: Beautiful or Narcissism? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
I dont want to open that link to see Kerr posing, naked......

Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:48 AM
I tend to think that pregnancy nudes are gorgeous. I suppose it's like the celebrity equivalent of celebrating motherhood or femaleness or something. I don't get what the big deal is. If you don't like that kind of photo, ignore it, just as people who don't like nudes in general ignore all the rest of the nudity that's out there, in our increasingly open, show-all society. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't see how pregnancy being a factor makes it any more narcissistic than any other nude.

My nephew's gf posed for some. She wasn't completely nude, but she was topless for some of them, and he was in some of the pics with her. They were some of the most beautiful shots I've ever seen, very tasteful, and a great keepsake of that time in their lives.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm too lazy to correct the spelling, etc. Is Howard single?

Friday 12 November
By Howard

"I've wondered about this myself. Its gross. Why do these women think everyone wants to see their fat gross stomachs. Its like the idiots who turn sideways and hold their fat ugly stomachs with both hands. Hey we see your big, fat, ugly stomach, you don't have to bring more attention to the fact your knocked up. To me pregnant women aren't as attractive as they and their husbands think. That should be personal between the two. Actually I thinks they are super unattractive!!!"
Ooh, let's hope so, MrsSpringsteen! I mean, come on, how can you resist someone who talks like that!

Sheesh. Amazing what the Internet will allow some people the guts to say, eh?

Quote:
Most women cannot wait to give birth so they can get their bodies back, and enjoy life again!
Yes. That should be the biggest reason to look forward to giving birth. To get your body back. I understand in a sense what she's saying here, but that kinda came off as a little...shallow?

Nice posts, Jive Turkey and VP . People really do like to make a mountain out of a molehill. This shouldn't be that big an issue.

Angela
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
oh come on.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Yes. That should be the biggest reason to look forward to giving birth. To get your body back. I understand in a sense what she's saying here, but that kinda came off as a little...shallow?
My friend, who is a very active person, was very tired with her pregnancy in the last few months as she got bigger and bigger and couldn't be as active as she always was. It wasn't -the- reason she looked forward to giving birth, but it sure was a big factor. I suppose many women look forward to having kids but don't necessarily think that pregnancy is all that wonderful.

As for celebrity pregnant nude shots, I think they're more to do with publicity rather than either beauty or narcissism.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Agree with Saracine. I do think pregnant women are beautiful -- but I don't feel the need to sexualize that beauty. Women who are pregnant don't need that additional pressure -- they have enough going on already...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Does nude automatically = "sexualized"?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:48 AM
there is tasteful and tasteless nudity.

I wonder if Nathan means that maybe a lot of women, dont necessarily feel beautiful, when pregnant.

??
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah I guess I feel if you got it, flaunt it. A lot of women have pregnancies that are torture, nothing that they can control. My cousin gets horribly ill and often bed ridden or hospital ridden. I know a few who would likely throttle me for suggested they strip and have a photoshoot. But if you're one of the lucky women that loves being pregnant then by all means get your picture taken. To me it's like having a wedding photo or engagement photo. You are happy and want to capture that memory.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Does nude automatically = "sexualized"?
no.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

There are plenty of nude photographs and paintings of women, pregnant and not, and that doesn't automatically make them sexualized. Some hang in the most prestigious art museums in the world. Of course pregnant women are still sexual beings. But these pictures are capturing a memory, just like Liesje said.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Some hang in the most prestigious art museums in the world.
But this doesn't make them non-sexualized
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Well I think sexualized in that case is probably in the eye of the beholder

But to say that photo of a nude pregnant woman automatically equals sexualizing them to me is a false premise. Just like saying that breastfeeding is a sexual act because a breast is exposed.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Well I think sexualized in that case is probably in the eye of the beholder
I'm sure I can find you countless paintings and photographs that have been displayed in prestigious art galleries that are unequivocally sexualized. And theres nothing wrong with that. Just because something is sexualized doesn't mean it can't be art. That's all I was responding to
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I do think pregnant women are beautiful -- but I don't feel the need to sexualize that beauty. Women who are pregnant don't need that additional pressure -- they have enough going on already...
Not sure what you mean by this. If like most adults you care to some degree about being sexually attractive, that's not going to stop because you're pregnant; there's no mental switch you can flip that conveniently separates out the desire to be sexually appealing from the desire to look professional, well-groomed, "together." That's not to say that recognizing how different you look and why doesn't have an effect, just that it's not some absolute, black-and-white thing: who you basically are inside hasn't changed.

But I think this is probably not all that relevant to nude pregnancy photos anyway. I agree with VP, I think for most women who do this it's more a celebration of "womanliness," maternal nature, and so on...with maybe just enough of a sexual undertone to assert the individual beneath the archetype, as they see it. It's perhaps not unlike the way a man who does bodybuilding and is at his lifetime peak fitness might decide to do a nude or nearly nude photo shoot, to commemorate a certain moment in his experience of being a man--it's not primarily sexual, but it would be unrealistic to deny that's in there. It may very well also be narcissistic, but that's really a case-by-case judgment call, and again, not appreciably different from any other nude photo shoot in this way, that I can see.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote