Prayers going out to Chile & everyone on the pacific coast!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
evidence so far suggests the tidal surges will be relatively small, but the biggest surges aren't always the first.

we're on tsunami alert in new zealand, especially the east coast. there have been some 1-1.5 metre surges so far, but i still won't be going to the beach today.

tsunamis likely a non-event, thoughts with those in chile - it looks completely fucked over there.

Prayers and thoughts to everyone affected. Is it true there is a Tsunami alert near LA as well?

Prayers and thoughts to everyone affected. Is it true there is a Tsunami alert near LA as well?
3385135.jpg

Based on this, doesn't look like West Coast will be impacted much because the waves are not hitting the coast head-on. New Zealand, Papua and the eastern part of Australia is a different story though...

Stay safe everyone...

we're about to have our warnings downgraded here, there have been swells and waves of a metre or so and some tides have been pushed up to the high tide mark - while it's low tide, so it was probably fortuitous that was the case.

any large tsunami threat has probably passed but the beaches and harbours all around the pacific rim are probably going to be pretty nasty for another 12-24 hours.

i been reading that the crazy Kiwis have been GOING to the coast to see the waves!
Madness
even if they are not that powerful, you still dont want to get caught by one

bloke from Radio NZ was on BBC news a minute ago saying they are reviewing whats happening every 20 mins or so

Hope Chile can recover. Always wanted to go there. I think they have done pretty well considering its 8.8 on the richter scale. Looks like they had good building regulations in place

When i visted Wellington, NZ, i thought, if an 8.8 hit here this place would crumble. Wellington is always waiting for the 'big one'. All those houses on stilts in the hills would drop instantly and the fault line runs through the city centre at Lambton Quay where the government offices are

Hope it doesnt happen in NZ for hundreds of years...i'm planning on moving there!

The magnitude 8.8 earthquake that jolted Chile early Saturday packed roughly 500 times the wallop of the seismic disaster that struck Haiti last month. But the damage and deaths in Chile, still being tallied, will probably be much less devastating.

The Haitian quake was shallow and centered just miles from an especially densely populated urban hub: Port-au-Prince, the capital. The Chilean quake was much deeper and centered offshore, and Chile's Pacific coast near the epicenter is sparsely populated in comparison.

Chile's quake 500 times more powerful than Haiti's - latimes.com

i hope the world helps Chile, but i cant be doing with another U2 Jay Z collaboration
that was awful
i'm sure thousands died worldwide from hearing Jay Z try and sing/rap/whatever he does alongside Bono

Bono/Chris Martin/Noel gallagher/brandon flowers = fair enough for charity

I have family in Santiago, they said it was absolutely terrifying - and they've experienced many earthquakes before. But nothing like this - there's been something like 60 after shocks. You just don't know what the next one could do.

My thoughts to everyone caught in the strife.

i been reading that the crazy Kiwis have been GOING to the coast to see the waves!
Madness
even if they are not that powerful, you still dont want to get caught by one

bloke from Radio NZ was on BBC news a minute ago saying they are reviewing whats happening every 20 mins or so

Hope Chile can recover. Always wanted to go there. I think they have done pretty well considering its 8.8 on the richter scale. Looks like they had good building regulations in place

When i visted Wellington, NZ, i thought, if an 8.8 hit here this place would crumble. Wellington is always waiting for the 'big one'. All those houses on stilts in the hills would drop instantly and the fault line runs through the city centre at Lambton Quay where the government offices are

Hope it doesnt happen in NZ for hundreds of years...i'm planning on moving there!

hey, earthquakes in wellington aren't all bad. one nasty one is responsible for the basin reserve - i love that place.

just so everyone knows... I'm ok :hyper:

now, JUST now, we're doing a national telethon, and we're heading, between entrepreneurs and regular people, to around to $30.000.000.000 pesos, that's 57 million dollars.

thanks for the prayers.

on Monday I'm going with a friend to one of the most devastated areas, Constitucion.

I'll show you pictures of a place that not only got the earthquake, also the tsunami

bye :wave:

it was 6,9... that's nothing :wink:

really, nothing happened, just a bridge somewhere is kinda broke, but just kinda

that's all

Back
Top Bottom