Poverty in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of 2011, population estimates of the reservation range from 28,000 to 40,000.[38]
80% of residents are unemployed (versus 10% of the rest of the country);
49% of the residents live below the Federal poverty level (61% under the age of 18);
Per Capita income in Shannon County is $6,286;
The Infant Mortality rate is 5X higher than the national average;
Native American amputation rates due to diabetes is 3 to 4X higher than the national average;
Death rate due to diabetes is 3X higher than the national average; and
Life expectancy on the Pine Ridge is the lowest in the Western Hemisphere, other than in Haiti;-Men 48 years, -Women, 52 years.[39]

Very sad. because America has the mindset that poverty is mainly a problem of your own making and that its your own fault I don't see a lot of hope for this changing.

After reading a thread on the protest movement @ Glastonbury, I did some research on the poor living in the US. Compared to other countries,the stats may seem minimal,but we definitely have a huge problem here despite our onerall wealth.
Hunger Statistics, Hunger Facts & Poverty Facts | Feeding America

Obama once said that the biggest failure in the history of the US is to not have properly taken care of the poor.

Very sad. because America has the mindset that poverty is mainly a problem of your own making and that its your own fault I don't see a lot of hope for this changing.

Obama once said that the biggest failure in the history of the US is to not have properly taken care of the poor.

This is very true. The Bible mentions I think some 205 times to "help the poor", but I think we've all failed doing our part. When it comes to the government I think all sides have failed as well. And a lot of it comes down to the mindset, much like pcfitz mentioned. There are those that believe everyone can pull themselves out of poverty, which any thinking person knows is bs. Then there are those that believe aid is the answer but it can't stop there. We've all seen the motivational poster that reads: give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and eats for life. Well I think we need a "teach a man to fish while giving him fish until he learns" mentality.

Poverty is a vicious cycle. And yes there are those that take advantage, but that is no excuse.

Nothing irks me more than those that tout "we need a more Biblical country" yet want every "entitlement" program wiped away.

And OBAMA'S LIST OF AMERICAN FAILURES is one long-ass list.

Wonder what he thinks the United States greatest achievement is? Besides his election to the White House that is.

Wonder what he thinks the United States greatest achievement is? Besides his election to the White House that is.

INDY believes the US is perfect and that slavery was even eventually a good thing.

I'm sure poverty has it's perks too in the eyes of American Exceptionalism.

Hey Indy, could you post Obama's list of American failures. I'm not familiar with that.

BTW: It should go without saying that the list should have been compiled by Obama himself, not some radio talk show host creating a straw man.

Hey Indy, could you post Obama's list of American failures. I'm not familiar with that.

BTW: It should go without saying that the list should have been compiled by Obama himself, not some radio talk show host creating a straw man.

Here's a quick 10 on foreign policy just from his first few months in office.
Top 10 Obama Apologies - HUMAN EVENTS

You can find all the rest you want pertaining to our gluttonous energy use, failure to pass climate change legislation, failure to embrace the Ground Zero Mosque, lack of universal health care, immorality of tax cuts for the "rich," our immigration failures, our failure to "spread the wealth around," our "bitter clingers", "fat cat" Wall St. bankers, greedy amputation-happy doctors, Wisconsin, Arizona, on so on and so forth.

Even though Obama considers those issues as failures, don't you think that he is right when he says that poverty is the biggest failure?
Especially when the US is the richest and most prosperous country in the entire planet?

You can find all the rest you want pertaining to our gluttonous energy use, failure to pass climate change legislation, failure to embrace the Ground Zero Mosque, lack of universal health care, immorality of tax cuts for the "rich," our immigration failures, our failure to "spread the wealth around," our "bitter clingers", "fat cat" Wall St. bankers, greedy amputation-happy doctors, Wisconsin, Arizona, on so on and so forth.

**sigh**

Indy, I'm sure I could identify a long list of criticims of what's going on in America by someone like say Michelle Bachmann. (Big Government, lack of respect for the Founding Fathers, Obamacare, tree-hugging, alternative lifestyles ete etc). I could type those critcisms as a "long ass list of American failures". I could even post a list on a liberal website Bachmann's "Top 10 Reasons Bachman Hates America." But though the words were hers, the characterization of the words, the suggestion about what she means by those words would be all mine. Of course it would be disingenous of me to do such a thing.

When you can bring me a quote where Obama says "I think America is a failure as a nation, and here's ten reasons why," well then we can talk.

do you think poor people deserve to be poor?

also, i cannot fathom what's so offensive and awful about that Obama list. he's 100% right on everything in that list -- shock! the US isn't perfect ... shock! Bush/Cheney tortured -- and its very politely worded and used as an opening for dialogue.

do you know anyone who isn't an american?

You're not even trying anymore :rolleyes:

Sean nailed it perfectly :up:

Oofff that's a bit flat-footed, even for you, Indy.

Back
Top Bottom