Political Correctness - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
So the big stink is that I said "liberal professors are scared of their own students". Here's where I got that shit to throw at the wall.


I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me - Vox


It's fairly self-evident that most colleges are bastions of liberal thought. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that if you're a student you know what you're signing up for in academia.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not ducking out of the conversation Oregoropa. Thanks for your input.


Now back to the fray....

It is a FACT that a majority of professors are liberal.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...can-professors

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Not all liberals hold the same view on this issue of free speech.


Three more examples of what I am concerned about.

France’s top weatherman was suspended from his job last October for questioning global warming. Not because he questioned it during a TV weather report but because he wrote a book about his views.

Last year a nearby college suspended their tradition of having a "Mexican Food Night" in the cafeteria because one student complained. She said she found it offensive.

In the U.K. Ministers will consider whether to stop Donald Trump from entering the country on Jan. 18.
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
In the U.K. Ministers will consider whether to stop Donald Trump from entering the country on Jan. 18.
If I were living in the UK I'd be considering this, too.

(ETA: And hey, since Trump sees nothing wrong with trying to ban an entire group of people from entering the U.S., then I'd say turnabout's fair play with the UK potentially refusing him entry, no?)
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I'm not ducking out of the conversation Oregoropa. Thanks for your input.


Now back to the fray....

It is a FACT that a majority of professors are liberal.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...can-professors

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Not all liberals hold the same view on this issue of free speech.


Three more examples of what I am concerned about.

France’s top weatherman was suspended from his job last October for questioning global warming. Not because he questioned it during a TV weather report but because he wrote a book about his views.

Last year a nearby college suspended their tradition of having a "Mexican Food Night" in the cafeteria because one student complained. She said she found it offensive.

In the U.K. Ministers will consider whether to stop Donald Trump from entering the country on Jan. 18.


We're talking about Freedom of Speech. Fe Horse is giving great examples of retaliation against speech, and hypersensitivity to speech.
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Here's the thing, though, Oregoropa: those people are still allowed to spout their views. Their speech hasn't actually been silenced. That weatherman can still spout his views on global warming and Trump can still bluster and blubber as he pleases. They would just have one less place to express those views. But they haven't actually been permanently silenced.

Also, the weatherman being suspended is the decision of the station he works for, and as a private entity, they have the right to do that if they wish. After all, isn't that the very argument conservatives use when they claim they have the right to deny people service or jobs based on sexual orientation? Pray tell, what's the difference? That's not exactly some example of the evil federal government cracking down on his First Amendment rights.

And it kind of doesn't make sense for someone who is involved in the study of weather to question global warming. If he questioned it, then he's spouting things that aren't true. That's not attacking conservative thought, that's simply firing someone who makes blatantly untrue claims. Why would I want to listen to or employ a weatherman who either expresses doubts about or doesn't believe in the concept of global warming?

As for the college, were they forced to suspend their food night or did they choose to do that? If they chose to do that, well, that was their decision, and again, not really under the umbrella of "censorship". Unless that particular student forced them to shut down their traditional celebration their free speech hasn't exactly been curbed. When the federal government starts actively revoking people's First Amendment rights for these sorts of situations, then I'll take this "erosion of free speech!" hysteria a little more seriously. Until then, this is not exactly cause for alarm. This is a few individuals' personal reaction to what some people say or believe. Again, if you want to say or do something offensive or inflammatory or ignorant, fine, but that does NOT mean you are free of any consequences for what you say or do.

Mind, I'm basing this all on iron horse's simple explanations of these situations without seeing actual links to these stories of these supposed "curbing of free speech" moments. I somehow get the sneaking suspicion that if we were to look up these stories, there'd be a lot more to the reasons why the weatherman was fired, or why this particular traditional celebration at a college rubbed someone the wrong way, and it wouldn't be a simple matter of, "See, look at all these oversensitive people trying to silence others!"

And the UK potentially not wanting Trump to visit has less to do with free speech and more to do with the fact that they probably feel he shouldn't be taken seriously as a presidential candidate. And they'd be right.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
And it kind of doesn't make sense for someone who is involved in the study of weather to question global warming. If he questioned it, then he's spouting things that aren't true.
.
Oh, I'm sorry do you have a degree in Meteorology? The funny thing is that I actually do. There is a sizeable percentage of Meteorologists and Climatologists that don't agree with the prevailing so-called "consensus". A colleague of mine was the State Climatologist of Oregon. Its mainly a ceremonial title, but because he didn't tow the line, activists pressured lawmakers, who pressured Oregon State University and forced him out of the position.
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 05:41 AM
I do not, no. But I'm curious to know what exactly these meteorologists and climatologists you refer to are saying, and what your colleague would've said that would've gotten him forced out.

Besides that, there's a difference between some debate over specifics related to the issue of global warming and flat out denying it's happening at all, which is more what I was referring to with my statement you quoted earlier. Some debate and discussion of the exact details is understandable, but I'd be wary of anyone in the meteorology and climatology fields who refused to accept the idea of global warming being a thing at all. If the latter is what someone's doing then that's their issue to deal with. *Shrugs*
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I'm not ducking out of the conversation Oregoropa. Thanks for your input.


Now back to the fray....

It is a FACT that a majority of professors are liberal.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...can-professors

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Not all liberals hold the same view on this issue of free speech.


Three more examples of what I am concerned about.

France’s top weatherman was suspended from his job last October for questioning global warming. Not because he questioned it during a TV weather report but because he wrote a book about his views.

Last year a nearby college suspended their tradition of having a "Mexican Food Night" in the cafeteria because one student complained. She said she found it offensive.

In the U.K. Ministers will consider whether to stop Donald Trump from entering the country on Jan. 18.

The Mexican Day thing is bullshit, and we told you that when you posted the article. They just removed the dumb downed stereotypes of Mexican culture like oversized sombreros.

Is the UK not allowed to voice their opinion? Why is it only free speech when it's your opinion?


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:41 AM
The Climate is either getting warmer or colder as it always has been.

We are only beginning to discover the layers of cycles that drive climate. For example this year is a strong El Nino year which is an Ocean temperature cycle off the coast of Peru. This effects weather across most of North America. During the cycle California receives much more rain than non-El Nino year or neutral year. The East coast tends to be warmer.

There are ocean fluctuations like this throughout the globe. And climate science is still unsure how these anomalies interact with each other in 2-5 year cycles. We are scratching the surface of global cycles and how it translates into doing yearly projections.

Atlantic Hurricanes are affected by Pacific Ocean temperature cycles. And yet Hurricane activity has its own particular cycles on the order of decades. We haven't had a major landfalling Hurricane in the US in almost a decade, following a very active period when we were getting battered by the likes of Charley, Katrina, Wilma, Rita. One year we ran out of names it was so active. We still do not understand the Hurricane Cycle.

Through the annals of recorded history we understand the shifts in climate over centuries. The Medieval Warm Period allowed the population of Europe to explode, leading to booms in food surpluses. Allowing the Renaissance and Age of Exploration to Occur. The Little Ice Age followed in during the age of Colonial America and Napoleonic Europe, it began to loosen its grip just as the Industrial Revolution began. We have been on a overall warming trend since this time (or a return to equilibrium following the Little Ice Age). It just so happens we start emitting CO2 during this time period. But Correlation does not equal Causation. These were the views that got the Climatologist in trouble.

Bottom line is that we can't predict 20 year Hurricane Cycles or understand how they interact with century wide fluctuations. Not to mention the role of Vulcanism and cycles that extend on the orders of Millenia.

Many Climatologists are confident the one variable of Carbon (out of many other variables) will be responsible for an upcoming catastrophe. This viewpoint was co-opted by political forces and now a reasonable debate with skeptics and proponents is as difficult to achieve as getting Political consensus between Left and Right.

When Political Emotions get involved its easy to lose sight of the science behind the headlines. Hope this helps.
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Remember Sandy?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,220
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Oregoropa, i am curious what your thoughts are regarding tornadoes? Specifically the big F5 monsters that seem to plow through Moore Oklahoma every few years. I know this kind of thing has happened throughout history. But it does seem to be more frequent as of late (and not just an Okie phenomenon either). Do you think it is just a pattern of some kind?
__________________
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Remember Sandy?
Came in as a Category 1. Major Hurricane is 3 or above.
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Oregoropa, i am curious what your thoughts are regarding tornadoes? Specifically the big F5 monsters that seem to plow through Moore Oklahoma every few years. I know this kind of thing has happened throughout history. But it does seem to be more frequent as of late (and not just an Okie phenomenon either). Do you think it is just a pattern of some kind?
Oklahoma is a sweet spot where the ingredients all come together in May-June to produce monster F-5s. They have occurred throughout US history, now the appear more frequently in the public view with video chasers, and they are hitting areas that are more densely populated. More lives are saved with increased warning times, media. Storm cellars.

In 1925 There was a monster Tornado called the Tri-State Tornado that killed 695 people across Missouri, Illinois, Indiana. Huge death toll back when the area was sparsely populated. We haven't seen anything like that since. It was long lived supercell storm that produced the tornado(s) that ebbed and surged in intensity during its lifespan.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Tornado
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Oregoropa, i am curious what your thoughts are regarding tornadoes? Specifically the big F5 monsters that seem to plow through Moore Oklahoma every few years. I know this kind of thing has happened throughout history. But it does seem to be more frequent as of late (and not just an Okie phenomenon either). Do you think it is just a pattern of some kind?

Seemed more like every year. I lived in Moore for 8 years. It was a place where everyone knew the risk of living there. But I was never worried because Rick Mitchell kept me protected. Btw assuming you're an okie, is he still on ABC over there? Making fun of him kept things light as we feared we would die (and nearly did many times).


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Oklahoma is a sweet spot where the ingredients all come together in May-June to produce monster F-5s. They have occurred throughout US history, now the appear more frequently in the public view with video chasers, and they are hitting areas that are more densely populated. More lives are saved with increased warning times, media. Storm cellars.

In 1925 There was a monster Tornado called the Tri-State Tornado that killed 695 people across Missouri, Illinois, Indiana. Huge death toll back when the area was sparsely populated. We haven't seen anything like that since. It was long lived supercell storm that produced the tornado(s) that ebbed and surged in intensity during its lifespan.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Tornado

Wikipedia isn't a source moron. Until Snopes can confirm this, I will reject any information in this post.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Wikipedia isn't a source moron. Until Snopes can confirm this, I will reject any information in this post.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Almost funny... You're getting there.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com