You saying you want a piece of me?

http://youtu.be/R95tj5O0voU

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Political correctness is a term invented by people who are pissed that they cannot be assholes with impunity in 2015. No one is trying to take away their freedom of speech; rather, people are using their freedom of speech to criticize people who are shitheads, and the shitheads are pissed. "I want to be able to joke about minorities and women without being told I'm a bad person for doing so." What's funny about punching down? Nothing, but don't tell that to the right. It's political correctness run amok!!1!1!!

To be fair, it's not just the right. It's also guys like Bill Maher, who is also a major asshole.
I've always thought of Bill Maher as someone who has successfully managed to market himself as being on the left, but in reality, whenever I've heard anything from him, he's never struck me as particularly progressive in the least.

And he's so intensely unlikable, so I agree with you there.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Bill Maher is far from alone in punching down on religious folk, particularly Muslim religious folk, because it is an article of faith that progressive = anti-tradition. More fool him because the marketised society is wholly corrosive of all human (or should that be humane) values, not merely traditional ones. There's a reason why anything resembling a left political program for government is dead in the water basically everywhere, despite opinion polls on public attitudes toward public ownership of key infrastructure, government support for equitable healthcare and education. Et cetera, et cetera.

That aforementioned marketisation, and the 24/7 performance aspect of social media (for those who decide it must be part of their life, which is seemingly almost everyone), might have a little to do also with the seeming 'pc craziness' of late. There is an element of oneupmanship to performing virtue online. Most of us probably fall somewhere midway along a continuum where we try to be basically considerate, and don't generally go around blasting racial or sexual epithets, but also fall well short of ideological purity.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
There's a particularly brand of intellectual that thinks because they're atheist and insult Christians on occasion that it gives them carte blanche to say whatever they want about Muslims. Maher might monologue like Johnny Carson, but there's not all that much of a difference between him and a jackass like Christopher Hitchens who really just wanted to insult Muslim people. The only difference is people thought Hitchens was smarter because he had a British accent and did the whole "tortured genius alcoholic" thing.

I actually went through a brief phase in my atheism where I read/listened to a lot of Hitchens, but have since wised up as I've learned more about him.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

This sort of thing is way more dangerous for free speech than any nonsense about "political correctness."

Missouri Senator Aims to Block Abortion Research | Al Jazeera America
Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

Yes, that is well worth reading to help understand why "political correctness" run amuck is dangerous. The danger is creating a society where dissenting views are not tolerated and must under threat, must be confessed as wrong.

From the article:

Watching footage of that meeting, a fundamental disagreement is revealed between professor and undergrads. Christakis believes that he has an obligation to listen to the views of the students, to reflect upon them, and to either respond that he is persuaded or to articulate why he has a different view. Put another way, he believes that one respects students by engaging them in earnest dialogue. But many of the students believe that his responsibility is to hear their demands for an apology and to issue it. They see anything short of a confession of wrongdoing as unacceptable. In their view, one respects students by validating their subjective feelings.

Notice that the student position allows no room for civil disagreement.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm feeling a little badly for this obviously smart, passionate, young woman who likely got overly emotional in an exchange about issues which she obviously feels deeply in her being and is now all over social media and is being used as a jumping off point for some good points, but also a lot of people who really don't like it when their privilege is called into attention.

let's cut her some slack.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I am a college student and I hope i can give more insightful comment about these issues, but i probably can't do so in depth 'cause Im not used to talking about it; I mostly determine how "offensive" things are by their intent. Things in Missouri is clearly wrong because they intended to do harm to minority. Im torn in the case of Yale, thou because those professors technically didn't cause this fiasco to be insensitive. However, I understand tension between races in relatively-conservative places and i guess both sides have points in that case. What I hate, though, is that those so-called "social justice warriors" attack everything even when they don't intend to hurt minority; Im mainly talking about people who gets so mad at satires or casual comments that's obviously meant to be jokes.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #39
The Male

Local Time: 04:15 AM
SCHOOL ISN'T FOR LEARNlNG DON'T YOU FUCKING GET THAT

If she had a point to make to a superior, she should have taken them aside instead of drawing attention to herself in the most immature manner possible. She was begging to be a viral sensation with this.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'm feeling a little badly for this obviously smart, passionate, young woman who likely got overly emotional in an exchange about issues which she obviously feels deeply in her being and is now all over social media and is being used as a jumping off point for some good points, but also a lot of people who really don't like it when their privilege is called into attention.

let's cut her some slack.
I can't find myself feeling bad for her in the slightest, honestly. She can't just have her way throughout life. Her name and picture being out there sucks, but the person she attacked wasn't even the individual who wrote the email in the first place.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well I think in Yale's cases, the fact that everyone behaves elitist-like (which is probably happening in both sides of this whole thing) is the source of problem
Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I can't find myself feeling bad for her in the slightest, honestly. She can't just have her way throughout life. Her name and picture being out there sucks, but the person she attacked wasn't even the individual who wrote the email in the first place.

I think we've all done things at 19 or 20 that we wouldn't do today.

I find PC "calling out" culture and what might be described as liberal illiberal intolerance to be tiresome and unproductive. And, yes, kids today. I know.

But, if I were my college-aged self struggling with sexual orientation and there were straight white bros dressed up like Caitlyn Jenner for Halloween, I might find that offensive, even mildly physically threatening, because I know that sometimes there is violence that follows homo/transphobia. And I'm not trans. I'm just gay. And the difference, in a residential college, is that you have to live and eat and sleep near these people. You can't "go home" the way you can as an adult or child. You are home. That's what she's talking about when she says "it's not about creating an intellectual space." What she's saying is that she has a right to a space where she feels no threat, a feeling that white students (or straight students) never have to deal with on account of their race alone.

We can agree or disagree with her, but I don't think her point was "coddle me!" Plus, her sense of entitlement, or not, really isn't the most concerning thing about this situation. Actual racism is. And I'm uneasy with the dismissing and belittling of her concerns by people born white and male. That happens a lot.

My own view is that one of the facts about being in a minorty -- racial, sexual, religious, whatever -- is that there is a certain amount of discomfort and stress that you will have to deal with that others with their privileged majority status do not. It isn't fair, but neither is life. So we try to make the world more just while reminding ourselves that is these things that make us different that also makes us unique and beautiful.

But then, I'm a white male. So maybe that's easy for me to say.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Dozens of twits, pics, comments on what is happening this week:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...student-march/
Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

No one click on that link, do not give that garbage website any web traffic.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There's a particularly brand of intellectual that thinks because they're atheist and insult Christians on occasion that it gives them carte blanche to say whatever they want about Muslims. Maher might monologue like Johnny Carson, but there's not all that much of a difference between him and a jackass like Christopher Hitchens who really just wanted to insult Muslim people. The only difference is people thought Hitchens was smarter because he had a British accent and did the whole "tortured genius alcoholic" thing.

I actually went through a brief phase in my atheism where I read/listened to a lot of Hitchens, but have since wised up as I've learned more about him.
Richard Dawkins' regular whinging on Twitter also relates to this somewhat.