Political Compass Test - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #46
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 11:04 AM
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Political Test: You are a patriotic Social Democrat. 3 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 92 percent are more extremist than you.


__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 01:04 PM
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

You are a National Democratic Socialist. 3 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 72 percent are more extremist than you.

Cosmopolitan: 11%
Secular: 56%
Visionary: 21%
Anarchistic: 26%
Communistic: 27%
Pacifist: 25%
Ecological: 4%
__________________

__________________
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #49
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Crowd Chart



Might be cool to see everyone on one chart.
Damn you, Khan! (And probably Vlad too, if he'd posted his numbers. My bet: -10, -10.)

As for the second test, as I was answering it, I expected to come out more moderate than on the Political Compass. What a silly notion!

"You are a Social Democrat. 12 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 3 percent are more extremist than you."



The only one I'm surprised by is the last; I expected to be just as well on the ecological side of things as I am on everything else. I guess the fact I quite happily keep eating meat skewed things a bit towards anthropocentric, and that some of the questions didn't really ask to my ecological interests, but I still didn't expect to fall slightly on the anthropocentric side.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Interesting.
Not much of surprise, eh? It would be interesting, though, to break down those that score similarly, cause I doubt we are all that monolithic. What are the differences between the like? What are the important social issues to them individually?

Every once in a while here (great, great while) you get an intriguing argument between two liberals or two moderates or two conservatives--vastly more interesting than the liberal vs conservative pro forma talking points.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:04 AM



Romney and Obama are more or less the same,
of course any sane person knows this
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,515
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post



Romney and Obama are more or less the same,
of course any sane person knows this
When I usually say that there's no Left in the US politics, this is it. Yes, the Democrats are more at left compared to the Republicans but in many things they're even at the right than some european right-conservatives.
__________________
Aygo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 11:04 AM
I don't know if I buy that chart.
__________________
digitize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #54
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,049
Local Time: 04:04 AM
It's a pretty simplistic way to look at something that's very complex.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
When I usually say that there's no Left in the US politics, this is it. Yes, the Democrats are more at left compared to the Republicans but in many things they're even at the right than some european right-conservatives.
And yet at the G20 next week President Obama (of the American left) will once again lecture Chancellor Angela Merkel (of the E.U. Right) that fiscal discipline, i.e. austerity, is the wrong track and that more borrowing and spending, i.e. stimulated growth, is the prudent coarse of action for countries drowning in debt.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #56
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
It would be interesting, though, to break down those that score similarly, cause I doubt we are all that monolithic. What are the differences between the like? What are the important social issues to them individually?
I know that Vlad and I disagree on a decent amount of things, despite both of us quite emphatically inhabiting the bottom left of the Political Compass. For one thing, I'm a social democrat and he's a communist.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,515
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
And yet at the G20 next week President Obama (of the American left) will once again lecture Chancellor Angela Merkel (of the E.U. Right) that fiscal discipline, i.e. austerity, is the wrong track and that more borrowing and spending, i.e. stimulated growth, is the prudent coarse of action for countries drowning in debt.
After several Obama warnings, today it was the World Bank to leave another warning that Europe (with the remote control of Merkel and Schauble's Germany) has got to stop with this game and to do it now, because it'll be like a domino.
I personally believe that Merkel and Schauble (and the whole elite from Lehman Bros and Goldman Sachs that are Ministers, Prime-Ministers, Comissioners and "Architects" of the Euro) are psychotically fanatic enough to let it implode with no mercy at all.
__________________
Aygo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
After several Obama warnings, today it was the World Bank to leave another warning that Europe (with the remote control of Merkel and Schauble's Germany) has got to stop with this game and to do it now, because it'll be like a domino.
I personally believe that Merkel and Schauble (and the whole elite from Lehman Bros and Goldman Sachs that are Ministers, Prime-Ministers, Comissioners and "Architects" of the Euro) are psychotically fanatic enough to let it implode with no mercy at all.
Lehman Bros went bankrupt in 2008. Goldman Sachs still exists, but the last time I saw their chief exec. being interviewed he seemed to spend most of his time apologising for earning a lot of money and being successful (not things one needs to apologise for, in the ordinary course of events, but then again, one lives in strange times!)

The architects of the euro have absolutely nothing got to do Lehman Bros or Goldman or any other (Jewish) investment bank scapegoat-du-jour. No, we don't need to turn to US investment banks to find the ones to blame - all we need to do is examine our own native European political class. Only politicians are stupid enough to think that currency union in advance of political union would work.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,515
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Lehman Bros went bankrupt in 2008. Goldman Sachs still exists, but the last time I saw their chief exec. being interviewed he seemed to spend most of his time apologising for earning a lot of money and being successful (not things one needs to apologise for, in the ordinary course of events, but then again, one lives in strange times!)

The architects of the euro have absolutely nothing got to do Lehman Bros or Goldman or any other (Jewish) investment bank scapegoat-du-jour. No, we don't need to turn to US investment banks to find the ones to blame - all we need to do is examine our own native European political class. Only politicians are stupid enough to think that currency union in advance of political union would work.
Mario Monti, Mario Draghi, Lucas Papademos, Petros Christodoulou, Karel Van Miert, Peter Sutherland, António Borges, Luis de Guindos, Otmar Issing... Just a few names...
All of them are very competent... To serve the interests of those institutions from where they come from, not to serve the european (and national) citizens' interests and concerns.
__________________
Aygo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
And yet at the G20 next week President Obama (of the American left) will once again lecture Chancellor Angela Merkel (of the E.U. Right) that fiscal discipline, i.e. austerity, is the wrong track and that more borrowing and spending, i.e. stimulated growth, is the prudent coarse of action for countries drowning in debt.
I happen to agree with Barack Obama on this matter, but your point is definitely reasonable.

I think part of the issue is that this test was designed during the Bush years, during which a lot of the issues that politics both in the US and around the world were different. The proper reaction to a recession was much less on peoples' radars than, say, the War on Terror and everything associated with that, and I think the test reflects that in its questioning emphasis and results are distorted because of it.

That being said, it's hard to deny that, in general, the US trends to the right of the EU.
__________________

__________________
digitize is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com