Polish prez Lech Kaczynski dies in plane crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
A terrible tragedy, regardless of politics.

Polish president killed in plane crash - CNN.com

Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed early Saturday along with his wife, several top military officials, and the head of the national bank when their plane crashed at a western Russian airport, officials said.

The president, 60, had been traveling with the Polish delegation to Russia for the 70th anniversary of the massacre of Polish prisoners of war in the village of Katyn. Some 20,000 Polish officers were executed there during World War II.

Most info already up on wiki:

2010 Polish Air Force Tu-154 crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, seriously terrible news. A real tragedy. I noted this before in the superthread.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Kacynski. :( I heard that the weather conditions weren't very ideal and that the Polish pilot was asked to land in Minsk, but refused.

Very unfortunate. I never agreed with his politics, but still it's a blow for the country and a sad incident altogether.

I read it this morning at my works newspaper.
Shocking , and so sad, for everyone in that plane and all their families.
Nobody deserves that. I wihs them much strenght

Devastating news but surprised to see so many of the top brass in one plane.

the place is in the middle of nowhere, with no "real" airport and not that many alternative ways of traveling there.
many more "of the top brass" traveled there by train or car the day before, but that's also not easy since they had to travel trough Belarus where with Lukashenko as the prezident there's alot of diplomatic tension between our countries...

the place is in the middle of nowhere, with no "real" airport and not that many alternative ways of traveling there.
many more "of the top brass" traveled there by train or car the day before, but that's also not easy since they had to travel trough Belarus where with Lukashenko as the prezident there's alot of diplomatic tension between our countries...

bathiu,

I am sorry for the tragic loss of life your country is suffering. I hope everything works out the best it can from this point on.

Maybe it was an accident, but it strikes me as politically convenient for certain parties (and I don't mean Polish parties).

Those with interest in conspiracy theories should know that also chiefs of Polish navy, air forces, Warsaw army, special forces died in crash. Those who play forex or bond markets could be interested to know that Head of Central Bank died too.

Hopefully this will not increase the chances of a shooting war within Europe.

And the aircraft being used was a Soviet Tu-154 or something like that.

I guess the outcome would've been different if the plane had decided to land in Minsk as the air traffic controllers advised them to.

Tomorrow (April 12) will be a national day of mourning in Russia.

Dmitry_Medvedev_and_Vladimir_Putin_-_2010_Polish_Air_Force_Tu-154_crash.jpg

I am also sorry for your country's tragic loss.

The voice recorders will hopefully help to find out more what happened in the cockpit before.

When this happened, I thought about all the ramifications, could this have been more than an accident?

who is benefited by the aftermath?

but, as more time goes by, I am thinking it was an accident.

So far there have not been any signs whatsoever of anything else but an accident, but of course creative minds are already at work. Not even that difficult, considering the surroundings.
I don't think it was in any way planned.

Yeah, I can't see where this plane full of Pols was any threat to Putin, Russia.
Also, any blow back would not be worth the gain.

Why did Russia not want the plane to land in Russia? Can't imagine there was anything at the airport they did not want them to see. The whole world is there now. I think it was just the heavy fog, that caused the plane to hit the top of the trees.

The pilot, assumed he could get this landing done, ok. Did not want to have a plane full of Pols in the wrong country for the memorial.

Many planes land in blinding fog everyday.

When this happened, I thought about all the ramifications, could this have been more than an accident?

who is benefited by the aftermath?

but, as more time goes by, I am thinking it was an accident.

On mature recollection, you're probably right.

Interestingly enough, this sort of accident could bring both countries closer to each other, relations wise.

To be honest, I'm tired of these sort of Russophobic articles (like the one you posted). Although, these articles are always going to be inevitable.

i suppose one of the mildly positive things to come out of this is that there might be a warming, so to speak, or something of a reconciliation, between Poland and Russia. which is inspiring.

this accident caused me to do a small amount of reading on the Katyn Massacre, and Russian/Polish history from the 1930s onward, as well as what happened to Poland during WW2. revisiting that history was shocking as the magnitude of suffering in Poland from 1939-1947 (and onward) is absolutely unspeakable. the country lost 20% of it's population in that war.

anyway, long story short, Poland is an inspiration. if nothing else, perhaps this crash can remind us all of how far Poland -- and Europe, and even Russia -- has come over the past 60 years.

i suppose one of the mildly positive things to come out of this is that there might be a warming, so to speak, or something of a reconciliation, between Poland and Russia. which is inspiring.

this accident caused me to do a small amount of reading on the Katyn Massacre, and Russian/Polish history from the 1930s onward, as well as what happened to Poland during WW2. revisiting that history was shocking as the magnitude of suffering in Poland from 1939-1947 (and onward) is absolutely unspeakable. the country lost 20% of it's population in that war.

anyway, long story short, Poland is an inspiration. if nothing else, perhaps this crash can remind us all of how far Poland -- and Europe, and even Russia -- has come over the past 60 years.

If I recall correctly, Belarus lost about 30% of its population then. But gee, those are staggering numbers.

Back
Top Bottom